Chain for Jonsered CS2240?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Jonsered CS2240 16" saw made by Husqvarna. I want to get a spare chain for it, but I am confused. Husqvarna makes 16" chains in two styles. One is "low profile." I have looked at my manual and the Jonsered site, and I can't figure out which chain is best. Any clues?

It’s 40cc’s it’s .325” low profile. It come in chisel square edge tooth which is a fast cutting rough cut or a chipper found shaped tooth which is forgiving if you hit the dirt. Chisel dulls very quickly with dirt.

It’s 40cc’s it’s .325” low profile. It come in chisel square edge tooth which is a fast cutting rough cut or a chipper found shaped tooth which is forgiving if you hit the dirt. Chisel dulls very quickly with dirt.

I would love to know how you got that info. Thanks. I quit using my saw to dig trenches, so I guess I want the chisel tooth.

Hard to believe how complicated spare chains are. I have an Echo CS-590, and I figured I would just get whatever the manual said to. Now I see threads where people claim the 70-link chain is a problem for some reason.

I have one saw that takes .325” chain. I been using the .325” 33LG .050 gage for decades on my smaller saw. Always fast cutting chisel chain. I’m not sure if it’s offered anymore. Recently I tried the more round tooth chain it’s less forgiving. I like both. With all these new chains there offering even I’m confused.

What does it say on the side of the bar?
It likely has narrow kerf .325 but im guessing.
Low profile .325 33lg is old and rare now, Oregon pushes the narrow kerf speed cut bars/chain for 40-50 cc saws now. It's called 95txl on the box, it wont work on regular .325 bars tho so you need to figure out which bar you have.
The normal Oregon 20 or 21 lpx or bpx will work on the slightly narrower narrow kerf bars tho.

I found a clue for you.

Here is the parts sheet https://www.partstree.com/parts/jon...40-jonsered-chainsaw-2009-02/clutch-oil-pump/ I see a 7 tooth spur sprocket on the page I linked. That would be a .325 chain in my experience. Like posted earlier the narrow kerf would be the best fit for most applications for a 40cc saw running .325 chain. Generally NK bars have smaller nose sprockets than "normal" .325 bar nose sprockets so to get a "best" suggestion I would suggest counting the teeth on the nose sprocket.

i just had my stihl guy make one for me. cuts way better than the stock chain that came with it.
EDIT: .325/66DL/.050/yellow chain.
I see you have a 2260 listed in your signature. I tried a loop of Rs stihl chain on a 45cc saw and it sure does cut well and throw nice chips I thought it was more dangerous getting started in a cut than other things. Stihl does start putting that chain (probably the RM3 though) on their 230 model and larger which I think is around 40cc. Most of the time I take off that NK stuff off myself in favor of 3/8lp though I do not see a sprocket for it on the parts sheet for the saw in question.

Yellow Stihl chain means no 3 at the end of the product code.

I see you have a 2260 listed in your signature. I tried a loop of Rs stihl chain on a 45cc saw and it sure does cut well and throw nice chips I thought it was more dangerous getting started in a cut than other things. Stihl does start putting that chain (probably the RM3 though) on their 230 model and larger which I think is around 40cc. Most of the time I take off that NK stuff off myself in favor of 3/8lp though I do not see a sprocket for it on the parts sheet for the saw in question.

Yellow Stihl chain means no 3 at the end of the product code.
I mistakenly bought that RS chain (18) and it fit my old J'red by chance; and I love that chain.

It's a good little saw. And while it's a "homeowner" saw, rather than a pro model, we bought one for work around 8 years ago. It gets used 1 or 2 days a week for 5-6 months out of the year and it's held up well. But in that size class, our Stihl MS241 leaves it in the dust.

I'm not interested in product comparisons, which are unrelated to the purpose of this thread. I bought this saw right after Hurricane Irma, when it was nearly impossible to find a saw, even online. It was the only quality chainsaw available in my county, and I was extremely blessed to snap it up before someone else found it.

I'm not interested in product comparisons, which are unrelated to the purpose of this thread. I bought this saw right after Hurricane Irma, when it was nearly impossible to find a saw, even online. It was the only quality chainsaw available in my county, and I was extremely blessed to snap it up before someone else found it.
Have you found a chain yet?

I got distracted and forgot about it, but I do need to buy one so I'll be ready when I need it. Right now, I have another problem. The saw quit while I was cutting a downed tree in half. I assume the problem is ethanol gas. I bought a Chinese carb on Ebay in order to get around the aggravation of taking the old carb apart.

Latest posts

Back