Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I’m working on the interior window and door trim which is final project to finish my cabin. This has been a 9 year project working off and on. I do want to paint the outside again before I’m going to consider it completely done but technically that’s maintenance and not construction.

I had purchased enough material to do one window to get a system going. Was able to fir out the other three windows so once I buy more trim I’m off to the races. The countersinking (headless) torx screws really work nice for trim work.
View attachment 744456
View attachment 744455

nice trim out! will u stain it or paint it?

I have been using Seam Grip to repair chaps. Might try it if the Shoe Goo does not work.
At REI, Cabelas, Dicks, Amazon, etc. https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chaps-repair.324300/ View attachment 743672
Philbert

thanks! will note it. so far the show goo is doing well. 4 times to use repaired boot 2-3 hours each time. I use pants over... when weed wacking and sawing... don't like by-products of either down in my shoes... I have several pair from yrs gone by I didn't toss. guess I will end up with quite a few pairs of working 'wellingtons'! lol

View attachment 743650 Happened to look down and saw this in the weeds. It’s not something I would want the hit with a chain. Put some tape on it so it doesn’t disappear when I get back to that area cutting.

nope! that!... might win!!!

If time allows I leave the splits spread out on the ground for several hours to a few days. Once you split a round that had ants they’ll usually vacate the whole piece even if there’s still cavities in the wood. The only thing that sucks is if you process wood in the cold weather then the ants get put into the wood pile and set up operations in there once the weather gets warm.

when splitting, I have a tool box of this and that... cardboard... and one item in it is Raid's Flying Insect Spray... termites and ants. stops them pretty quick! from oak. wipe out any termites pronto! imo, very effective stuff! kinda amazing, actually. I have prob close to a dozen cans here n there all abouts the house, shop and related areas. if I want spray, I don't want to go hunt for it! lol.... that and Deep! :D

zfi.jpg

nice trim out! will u stain it or paint it?
I may clear coat the horizontal surface to avoid pop can rings but natural otherwise. We’re nearly halfway through the 99 year lease on this spot so I’m not doing it to last forever. And at age 39, I won’t be the one worrying about what happens if they decide to not continue the lease.

I may clear coat the horizontal surface to avoid pop can rings but natural otherwise. We’re nearly halfway through the 99 year lease on this spot so I’m not doing it to last forever. And at age 39, I won’t be the one worrying about what happens if they decide to not continue the lease.

I know just what u mean! one of my pet peeves!!

nice place up there svk - what with the setting and lake, etc... nice lease :yes:

Yes, it is 2 part … Ultra Clear.

I think I'm going to stick to just doing base coats and not the flood coats. The flood coat is a PITA, and eats a ton of material!

The base coat alone gives me more of that rustic look I'm after.

any particular brand you like best?...

I totally spaced out on getting pictures yesterday evening. I was even reminding myself to take pictures. The tree service I get a lot of wood from had a job not far from our house near a lake. It's in a mobile home community across from the marina. The tree came down the same night as the tornadoes nearby. They said there wasn't much wind though, just very wet ground. It's a 30" diameter white oak that very slowly leaned over and rested on top of a couple's mobile home. They got very, very luckily! The wife was on the couch right under where the tree came to rest. So far I have gotten 3 truck and trailer loads. One more load to go. I had to quarter the big pieces. It was a very nice older couple, and we talk every time I get some wood. They even gave the boys Gatorade and a butterfinger bar.

Last week the tree service called and had a tree not far away that had crushed a garage. He said to hurry and they'll load. Sure enough, they did. They used a Vermeer stand on mini with a grapple to load the truck and trailer up. They were glad I showed up so they wouldn't have to make an extra trip in their big truck. They've been working like crazy with all the storm damage.

It's finally hot, humid summer weather here!

Was cleaning up the 038 today then gonna sharpen er chain for a back cut on a hollow oak where I need the reach because its a split gone leaving a U of a trunk standing.

In the process of cleaning I found the pulse line has split. Almost broke down far enough to overhaul to get at the prick.

Was glad to discover it before instead of at the moment of starting. That could have been a bad day!

Well, I found another scrounging fairly close. Going after some tonight, back tomorrow for the rest...looks like oak and maple.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Going to investigate an oak that fell on a property down the road. Top looks punky so I'm going to cut below the Y and see if the trunk is solid. Got 6 days till the new owner moves in so have to move fast.

Going to try and talk the wife into going one day next week to vid the 9010, a vid for @Logger nate of the 490 converted to 3/8 lp and vid of winch pulling out big rounds. As of now that’s all tentative on her agreeing and the weather. Today was 90, high humidity and off and on torrential downpours.
:innocent:

Going to investigate an oak that fell on a property down the road. Top looks punky so I'm going to cut below the Y and see if the trunk is solid. Got 6 days till the new owner moves in so have to move fast.
Mine fell apart...big silver maple in between some apartments, but you have to move the wood up a bank about 100 feet. Really small parking lot to deal with that has a concrete retaining wall.

Too much effort and pain for what is there for me...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I might have time tomorrow or Friday.

Back