Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped in at my next house building site to meet with the owners again today. He has been cutting some small softwood trees down using his new from Home Depot Husky. He has about 1 1/2 acres he wants cleared for the house site. He cut maybe 6 or 7 trees with the bigger being about 14" diameter and 30' tall. He warned me that he wasn't very good with a saw and he was right. I wanted to take pictures but that would have been rude. Lets just say he was lucky it was a small tree. He got it down but the stump was a mess. I gave him some pointers and told him to be careful ( he was going to do it anyway so I might as well advise him some). I then showed him the big poplar I cut several weeks ago and explained the difference between his and mine. He then told me the husky was flooded and wouldn't start. He kept pulling and pulling but fuel was just running out of it. I took the cover off and the hose to the carb was off. Put it back on and it fired after 6 pulls. I have a 261 with me and was going to cut a couple of trees down to show him but we got back to house business and I ran out f time. We were walking the lot (20 acres) and this Australian creature tried to block my path. I didn't even see him but the owners wife heard him rattling away. Was about 30" long. I'm not quite so keen to cut trees up there anymore. I like the 2nd one better that I found at the other site, he was more my size. That's a roof shingle that he was sleeping on, it was pretty cold that day. $250,000 fine for killing one. I think that might be money well spent. :)20190702_124219.jpg 20190625_110311.jpg

ED0D93D4-EF31-4C25-A303-503B5A1200AD.jpeg My creature isn’t as impressive as @cantoo but it’s weird. I was making room around the wood pile staging area for all that white oak trunk once I get it cut and home and he was there. Saw this guy, never seen one before. Anybody have an idea what it is?

I stopped in at my next house building site to meet with the owners again today. He has been cutting some small softwood trees down using his new from Home Depot Husky. He has about 1 1/2 acres he wants cleared for the house site. He cut maybe 6 or 7 trees with the bigger being about 14" diameter and 30' tall. He warned me that he wasn't very good with a saw and he was right. I wanted to take pictures but that would have been rude. Lets just say he was lucky it was a small tree. He got it down but the stump was a mess. I gave him some pointers and told him to be careful ( he was going to do it anyway so I might as well advise him some). I then showed him the big poplar I cut several weeks ago and explained the difference between his and mine. He then told me the husky was flooded and wouldn't start. He kept pulling and pulling but fuel was just running out of it. I took the cover off and the hose to the carb was off. Put it back on and it fired after 6 pulls. I have a 261 with me and was going to cut a couple of trees down to show him but we got back to house business and I ran out f time. We were walking the lot (20 acres) and this Australian creature tried to block my path. I didn't even see him but the owners wife heard him rattling away. Was about 30" long. I'm not quite so keen to cut trees up there anymore. I like the 2nd one better that I found at the other site, he was more my size. That's a roof shingle that he was sleeping on, it was pretty cold that day. $250,000 fine for killing one. I think that might be money well spent. :)View attachment 744667 View attachment 744668
That's a big one as far a massassauga Rattlers go. They have them up on the peninsula but hardly ever see them. I watch my step anyway.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Had to make a small fire every day over the weekend , 55 and rain so a fire of kindling and 1 stick of spruce took the chill and dampness away :)
No saws were run this weekend but I did come across an awesome bacon video !

Natural esters

For that kind of stuff the guys video are cool/interesting.

But his real oil testing (this oil BS that oil) is not to be taken seriously. Though they are fun to watch.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Just Jeff, this one was just off #6 just before Roxy's so about 15 kms south of Tobermory. They moved a bigger one from the same spot earlier in the day. I think I'm going to at least wear gaiters when I cut trees there. I wear ear muffs so the rattle isn't going to be much warning. My loggers pants might be stiff enough to stop the fangs but if I get bit the shite running down my pants leg will smell bad waiting at the hospital.

Buddy scrounged himself a free yard barn like shed. Guess what I'll be doing the 4th... Yep moving the thing. Should get me caught up or one ahead on the trade labor. Nice thing is the high school industrial arts class built it for the peewee football program and they have trailer we can use that's made for delivering the ones they sell as fundraising. Should be a cinch. What could go wrong it's not even a mile?

Yes, it is 2 part … Ultra Clear.

I think I'm going to stick to just doing base coats and not the flood coats. The flood coat is a PITA, and eats a ton of material!

The base coat alone gives me more of that rustic look I'm after.
Good call.
On cypress here I might leave it rough sawn and soak it in used engine oil. Takes ages to dry but works better than you might expect.

Here's a quick pic of another box from that board I posted a pic of recently. Quite a different appearance from when I first laid eyes on it - as floor boards in a derelict house with no windows or doors. The boards were covered in cow **** because they would raise calves in that paddock and they sheltered in that house when the weather got ugly. Scraped off the shite, pulled out a million rusty nails and tacks, left the blunt inserts in the planer and mowed off 100 years of dust, oil, crap while finding a few more nails. Planed it some more, with sharp inserts, got excited and now, after the first coat, people can see why I was getting so worked up.

It'll come alive more with further coats and sanding, but provided I don't screw something up, it will be one of the nicest things I've made. I'm going back to take a photo of what's left of that house. People won't believe me otherwise, if they just saw the finished piece.

Anyone figured out what wood this is yet?
MosseysGem.jpg

View attachment 744677 My creature isn’t as impressive as @cantoo but it’s weird. I was making room around the wood pile staging area for all that white oak trunk once I get it cut and home and he was there. Saw this guy, never seen one before. Anybody have an idea what it is?
Eyed click beetle. Larvae are called wireworms.

Good call.
On cypress here I might leave it rough sawn and soak it in used engine oil. Takes ages to dry but works better than you might expect.

Here's a quick pic of another box from that board I posted a pic of recently. Quite a different appearance from when I first laid eyes on it - as floor boards in a derelict house with no windows or doors. The boards were covered in cow **** because they would raise calves in that paddock and they sheltered in that house when the weather got ugly. Scraped off the shite, pulled out a million rusty nails and tacks, left the blunt inserts in the planer and mowed off 100 years of dust, oil, crap while finding a few more nails. Planed it some more, with sharp inserts, got excited and now, after the first coat, people can see why I was getting so worked up.

It'll come alive more with further coats and sanding, but provided I don't screw something up, it will be one of the nicest things I've made. I'm going back to take a photo of what's left of that house. People won't believe me otherwise, if they just saw the finished piece.

Anyone figured out what wood this is yet?
View attachment 744689
BOXwood? :omg: :laughing:

View attachment 744677 My creature isn’t as impressive as @cantoo but it’s weird. I was making room around the wood pile staging area for all that white oak trunk once I get it cut and home and he was there. Saw this guy, never seen one before. Anybody have an idea what it is?
It loves wood, yeah yeah yeah.

Latest posts

Back