Stihl ms180 cylinder, condition question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hey folks

got an old Stihl MS180, split apart.

Some parts are broken, like the crankshaft and piston, but the cylinder could be ok for reuse.

The cylinder has, I think?, a minor damage near the little hole for the "impulse".
See picture, red circle around the issue.

Any thoughts? get a new or reuse?

Thanks in advance!

DSC_0836.png

The rectangular recess in the cylinder wall is supposed to be there. otherwise the impulse opening wouldn't have an airway to the crankcase.

The rectangular recess in the cylinder wall is supposed to be there. otherwise the impulse opening wouldn't have an airway to the crankcase.

Yeah this part I know. But Thanks for the reply!
And seeing as you don't notice what I am trying to show I guess its either A. A bad picture or B. Not an issue.

There is a little chip? In the round hole itself. I think its from the damaged piston, which is heavely damaged and has lost like half of the buttom inside the cylinder. The crankshaft itself is broken into two pieces too.

Maybe a closer picture could help illustrate my initial question.

Id be more interested in what happened to the saw that it smashed the piston skirts off and snapped a crank!
Not sure I would want to rebuild a 180 that had been through that, certainly not a cheap fix with OEM parts.
However, if you had another 180 that had been straight gassed- maybe this cylinder could do another turn?

As far as I have been told, from a friend Who had this sawstashed away.

They wanted to replace the piston, and some how broke the crankshaft and piston while taking it apart.

But yeah im not spending money on it. I have that parts..... Around somewhere

As far as I have been told, from a friend Who had this sawstashed away.

They wanted to replace the piston, and some how broke the crankshaft and piston while taking it apart.

But yeah im not spending money on it. I have that parts..... Around somewhere

Ah, that explains a bit.
Willing to bet they undid the cylinder bolts that hold the clamshell closed, but did not undo the bolts that hold the bottom crankcase to the saw body....... grabbed a big lever and leaned on it hard!

I don't get it. The bolts that hold the engine halves together are the same bolts that hold the engine to the case. How anyone could break a piston and crankshaft disassembling a clamshell is a story I would love to hear!

yeah...but not on the Stihl MS180.

On ms250, 260, etc. you are right (those are the ones I have worked on mostly)

Yeah, just looked at the IPL. Still can't see how it could have been done. Must have been a very long lever.

yeah, I'm just sure it was pretty much manhandled without any care.....how exactly he broke the inside...I will never know.

Back to topic....I will reuse the cylinder, after a good cleanup etc. Hoping that it won't effect the piston. :)

yeah, I'm just sure it was pretty much manhandled without any care.....how exactly he broke the inside...I will never know.

Back to topic....I will reuse the cylinder, after a good cleanup etc. Hoping that it won't effect the piston. :)

Hard to say, but if they were levering off the cylinder alone, I would expect to see broken fins on the exterior. My best guess is they left the clutch and flywheel on and tried to pull the whole lot up out of the case until something let go- I imagine breaking the bottom crank clamshell cover as well- so maybe the cylinder is oks and all the pain of the break was on the bottom end? Piston stayed on the con rod and snapped the skirts on the way out of the bottom of the cylinder when it was at an angle?
All you can do is build up what parts you have and see if it survives. If not, Farmertec 180 motors complete are only about $10US!

Latest posts

Back