Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is that time of the year, I love fruit cakes seams you can only get them around thanksgiving and Christmas

4d58609f9e426fae399e49f7b42311a5.jpg

Ok so recently I mistakenly created a thread trying to connect with like minded people about aftermarket clone saws... Clearly that was a stupid move on my part. It seems that it only attracted people with the opposite mindset who believe with all their heart that they are the Masters of the universe and if it is not OEM, then don't even speak of it.

So here you go guys... Here is a thread dedicated to all of you "OEM or nothing" guys to rub your egos together and talk about how badass your 1300 Dollar OEM saws are.

Now, I have owned a few over the years, but I don't have the experience or wisdom that many of you do about OEM.... I must be laughably to poor or so inexperienced as an electrician to know that if I pay 5 times the money that I will own a better saw, with a factory warranty that will last a year, as long as I fill out the correct paperwork and leave it in the box for the first 6 months, then only use specified oil and gas, with limited exposure to the sun. So I probably won't be able to add much to this thread... I look forward to your knowledge and insight, because only you people truly know anything about anything.
Aside, from durability of OEM have you seen the failure stress test safety video comparing them
You would be shocked!

I would love to see that if you have the link.. I love watching stuff explode
It was sponsored by Stihl engineers I believe when the
fake news saws started,and using weights they loaded
the handles and it was a well illustrated example of
inferior materials,and safety considerations between the 2

If you watch the yt videos on clones most need to be tweeked right out of the box.

I’m staying with my older huskys that never let me down. Even if they need a complete refresh it’s worth it. It’s reliability, longevity and dependability I’m after.

I had those plastic toys from Japan as a kid. You couldn’t compare them to my English dinky toys.

My 038M , I got for free, 1996, FROM A LOGGER.

Is Still running great. I've put in a new line for the grub/screws vent. Been through a bucnh of RS stihl chains and rims. No rubber/carb problems besides the vent. I don't run E10, but do 100LL

Sure had to clean it up when given to me. It looks beat to %#!t, but that was then, AND now. Runs same.

How is a Chi-Com going to last like this?

Aside, from durability of OEM have you seen the failure stress test safety video comparing them
You would be shocked!

I would love to see that if you have the link.. I love watching stuff explode

Notice when they do the weight test they don't show the cart during a good part of the stihls testing.

If you watch the yt videos on clones most need to be tweeked right out of the box.

I’m staying with my older huskys that never let me down. Even if they need a complete refresh it’s worth it.
I tweak the **** out of them
Notice when they do the weight test they don't show the cart during a good part of the stihls testing.

Interesting tests...but not the same saws. The kit saws don't look like that. I'm not saying the results would be the same, just wanted to see an OEM 660 vs an aftermarket kit 660

I tweak the **** out of them

Interesting tests...but not the same saws. The kit saws don't look like that. I'm not saying the results would be the same, just wanted to see an OEM 660 vs an aftermarket kit 660

That's the video that people have kept mentioning over the years. It would be interesting to see them test the similar holtzforma and huztl against their OEM counterparts.

Here we go...

A small town hardware was selling their Husky dealership and wanted all of the old "junk" out of the way. I had to take two pallet sized bins of parts/pieces/spares out of there. A mix of everything, these were a couple of the carcasses in there.
20190827_195006.jpg 20190304_164801.jpg
I haven't messed with the top handle yet but it won't take much. I bought another non-running 562 for parts, made one saw, then sold the extras. Net I have around $150 into this modern auto-tune saw, cutting attachment included. I had it 20" bar buried noodling red oak a couple weeks ago. It is a great runner. So much so that I scrapped a plan to port a 50cc saw for my 20" bar saw.
20190519_155509.jpg
This rough looking 346 I picked up on Super bowl Sunday off of this site. For $90 to my door I got a complete OE 45cc saw. I used the top end on a Jonsered project, tore this one down and gave it new crank bearings, gaskets, seals, and a fuel system re-do. I used crank stuffers from a Husky 545 weed eater and a freebie cylinder that I was able to save and port a little. With a meteor piston this is basically a brand new saw mechanically, and it cuts pretty well with a 16" .325 bar. I'm around $140 into this one. I deleted the finished pic because the thing is so damned ugly, but it will last a firewood hack like me a long time.
20190323_171414.jpg

For the Stihl guys; I got 2 1/2 of these from a local Husky dealer for less than what a new top end costs from a dealer. I built two runners, sold the leftover parts and one saw. Had this one left over with money in my pocket. A friend has it now.
20190504_135301.jpg
These are just some from this year. I'm an average dude that works 50+ a week. I hit up sales and dealers when it's convenient. You just have to want to.

Here we go...

A small town hardware was selling their Husky dealership and wanted all of the old "junk" out of the way. I had to take two pallet sized bins of parts/pieces/spares out of there. A mix of everything, these were a couple of the carcasses in there.
View attachment 761276 View attachment 761281
I haven't messed with the top handle yet but it won't take much. I bought another non-running 562 for parts, made one saw, then sold the extras. Net I have around $150 into this modern auto-tune saw, cutting attachment included. I had it 20" bar buried noodling red oak a couple weeks ago. It is a great runner. So much so that I scrapped a plan to port a 50cc saw for my 20" bar saw.
View attachment 761277
This rough looking 346 I picked up on Super bowl Sunday off of this site. For $90 to my door I got a complete OE 45cc saw. I used the top end on a Jonsered project, tore this one down and gave it new crank bearings, gaskets, seals, and a fuel system re-do. I used crank stuffers from a Husky 545 weed eater and a freebie cylinder that I was able to save and port a little. With a meteor piston this is basically a brand new saw mechanically, and it cuts pretty well with a 16" .325 bar. I'm around $140 into this one. I deleted the finished pic because the thing is so damned ugly, but it will last a firewood hack like me a long time.
View attachment 761279

For the Stihl guys; I got 2 1/2 of these from a local Husky dealer for less than what a new top end costs from a dealer. I built two runners, sold the leftover parts and one saw. Had this one left over with money in my pocket. A friend has it now.
View attachment 761280
These are just some from this year. I'm an average dude that works 50+ a week. I hit up sales and dealers when it's convenient. You just have to want to.
Looks like you came across some nice deals... Good looking saws and not a lot invested.... Sounds like you bought a bunch of crap, and built them into something nice as an inexpensive route to have a couple of nice saws. Good job, thanks for sharing.. would you be interested in an old, old homelite? A buddy of mine has one in good shape that he can't get running, asked me to look at it but I don't know where to start on it..... Yes, all OEM.

Latest posts

Back