Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodlewalker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok so recently I mistakenly created a thread trying to connect with like minded people about aftermarket clone saws... Clearly that was a stupid move on my part. It seems that it only attracted people with the opposite mindset who believe with all their heart that they are the Masters of the universe and if it is not OEM, then don't even speak of it.

So here you go guys... Here is a thread dedicated to all of you "OEM or nothing" guys to rub your egos together and talk about how badass your 1300 Dollar OEM saws are.

Now, I have owned a few over the years, but I don't have the experience or wisdom that many of you do about OEM.... I must be laughably to poor or so inexperienced as an electrician to know that if I pay 5 times the money that I will own a better saw, with a factory warranty that will last a year, as long as I fill out the correct paperwork and leave it in the box for the first 6 months, then only use specified oil and gas, with limited exposure to the sun. So I probably won't be able to add much to this thread... I look forward to your knowledge and insight, because only you people truly know anything about anything.

I have my OEM 1971 Homelite Super XL , My Father gave me. It has original carb/rubber parts and still runs/starts/cuts. It got hit by a tree, so original bar is gone, got 2nd one w/USA Carton chain(s)/ no Blount **** , it still rips. It has a longer than recommended 24" bar, but reed valve motor does fine if you don't push it and not file rakers too far down. No AV but I wore gloves.

I have a OEM carb kit, if I ever need one. I start it once a year just for fun as I have newer Stihls.

Stihls will follow........

Ok so recently I mistakenly created a thread trying to connect with like minded people about aftermarket clone saws... Clearly that was a stupid move on my part. It seems that it only attracted people with the opposite mindset who believe with all their heart that they are the Masters of the universe and if it is not OEM, then don't even speak of it.

So here you go guys... Here is a thread dedicated to all of you "OEM or nothing" guys to rub your egos together and talk about how badass your 1300 Dollar OEM saws are.

Now, I have owned a few over the years, but I don't have the experience or wisdom that many of you do about OEM.... I must be laughably to poor or so inexperienced as an electrician to know that if I pay 5 times the money that I will own a better saw, with a factory warranty that will last a year, as long as I fill out the correct paperwork and leave it in the box for the first 6 months, then only use specified oil and gas, with limited exposure to the sun. So I probably won't be able to add much to this thread... I look forward to your knowledge and insight, because only you people truly know anything about anything.

Well I have figured out this much by now;
You have your like minded in here, but some people make their living on OEM and some buy used and don't want to be hustled - so you should expect and accept some negative comments from people on the other side of the fence some times.
Don't let it ruin your interest mate, cheers!

2nd ever Stihl. 038M given to me by logger friend, he had moved on to 044.

He said if it broke down trice, more problems than worth.

I took it apart and cleaned it up. Recoil did not work, full of sawdust. Carb did not work, it had dust on pump side under carb cover. P/C looked new. I cleaned it up and it runs so good I bought new 25" ES bar and RS chain. That was mid 90s and is still my go to saw for large firewood and bucking. Since then, I've replaced the rubber line that holds the grub screws for the tank vent, a few more chains and rims.

036 lean seize for free. I fixed this one right. All OEM. PITA to search here Mods.

I've read many of the threads here about the clone saws. Some guys have said the first thing to do is go buy OEM rubber parts. Fuel lines etc. Me not being much of a mechanic have stayed away from them. I have bought a few used saws and some new ones. I need something dependable when I go to the woods. I have a great dealer which in this day and age is priceless. Yes there are horror stories about guys buying a new saw and having issues with it which I think is sometimes operator error or maybe they got a lemon. Sh!t happens. Good luck with your clones.

Well I have figured out this much by now;
You have your like minded in here, but some people make their living on OEM and some buy used and don't want to be hustled - so you should expect and accept some negative comments from people on the other side of the fence some times.
Don't let it ruin your interest mate, cheers!
Thank you

I've read many of the threads here about the clone saws. Some guys have said the first thing to do is go buy OEM rubber parts. Fuel lines etc. Me not being much of a mechanic have stayed away from them. I have bought a few used saws and some new ones. I need something dependable when I go to the woods. I have a great dealer which in this day and age is priceless. Yes there are horror stories about guys buying a new saw and having issues with it which I think is sometimes operator error or maybe they got a lemon. Sh!t happens. Good luck with your clones.
Thank you.

Just from my observations they make a copy of this saw.....
0.jpg

Those who are whining about the other saws being copied don't give two ***** because its a copy of a zenoah.

A copy of anything that says...
Stihl_Logo_WhiteOnOrange.svg

Gets a response from more than a few members who start clutching their pearls and acting like people in the political forum.

Copies of husqy just get a meh response usually.

DSC_0015.JPG Free 036 Pro lean seize .. Old Thread, I reposted pictures, after AS site crash. We lost all those pictures!!!!

TRY THIS WITH CHI-COM ****!!!

All OEM with new piston/rings and OEM/NOS 20" ES B/RS C < $200

Took a while before I downloaded the pics of the final assy. (2009)

Less than $200 into it with NOS OEM piston, rings, seals, upper bearing/pin, B/C, clutch outer assy, hoses (all) , and carb kit. All new Stihl parts

All there with GREAT PICTURES.

034 and 036 people bookmark this, PITA for ME to find with AS search

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/036-project.96696/page-2

Like Farmer Steve, I'm Much better at Running them, than Working on them, and when it can be 45 minutes or more each way to the cutting areas from where I live, I prefer to have Reliable saws, and my Huskys have been that for over 28 years, so I have stuck with them, and haven't regretted it yet.

If your aftermarket/clone/whatever works for your needs, that is Awesome;), mine fill my needs, so I have been Happy with them:)

Doug :cheers:

Latest posts

Back