Toasted my clone ms660 on amsoil at 100:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amsoil horror stories...lol

I guess they get major racing sponsorships by being inferior:dizzy:

No where on any Amsoil product does it say you have to use it at 100:1. Only tested at 100:1
It actually does tell you they suggest to use 80:1 or 100:1 on their website.
abfd94d59c39577bf578afe2954d775e.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Well I appreciate the lesson, but it could have been said without being condescending, its not like I was trying to lecture you, or pretend like I knew more about two stroke oils or engines...

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I am a long time Amsoil user.
I run Saber in all my 2 stroke equipment, but mix at 50:1, not confident enough in mycarb tuning skills to run any less. My equipment runs great, the Amsoil really keeps the ports and plugs,clean.
I have heard of people mixing at 100:1 with no issues, just not comfortable running that little oil.
On the gear oil, I run the Amsoil Severe Gear oil in my rear diff, tow a camper in the summer heat, never had any issues.
My last truck had over 180k and never had any diff issues with the Amsoil.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I am a long time Amsoil user.
I run Saber in all my 2 stroke equipment, but mix at 50:1, not confident enough in mycarb tuning skills to run any less. My equipment runs great, the Amsoil really keeps the ports and plugs,clean.
I have heard of people mixing at 100:1 with no issues, just not comfortable running that little oil.
On the gear oil, I run the Amsoil Severe Gear oil in my rear diff, tow a camper in the summer heat, never had any issues.
My last truck had over 180k and never had any diff issues with the Amsoil.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
But I read on the Internet it’s bad:dumb:

I personally run 80:1, maybe a little heavier. BR700 blower, 290, and a 201T. They all run great. Not confident enough to run 100:1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should be clear that I don't nessisarly blame the amsoil. In addition to running at 100:1, I made a critical error of leaning out the saw too much.

Even if possible I believe that running at 100:1 lowers the max safe RPM, and I think shortening the lifespan of the bearings. The piston/cylinder were not scored at all, only gouged/cracked where the steel bits tried to get by. Bottom end completely dry.

While I don't blame amsoil exactly, I don't like it. If you can't run it at 100:1 or even 80:1, then it's just like any synthetic.

I really like the idea of some magic super lubrication compound. With mix ratios of say 500:1 or less. I wonder if these kinds of oils exist but are just way to toxic for human use?

Amsoil is fantastic and it is all that I have run in my vehicles and small engines for many years. The Saber is great. I have run it at 100/1, but would not do it now, as there is no reason for it. 50/1 is fine. If Amsoil did indeed cause the 660 to fail, then contact with Amsoil should be made. If it can be proven that it was the oil, they will back it. Amsoil is every bit as good as it says it is, but there is nothing that is totally incapable of failing at some point. I ran their differential lube for a long time. Now, lubes have gotten so good, that I just use whatever Toyota puts in at the service time for the differential and transmission.

I should be clear that I don't nessisarly blame the amsoil. In addition to running at 100:1, I made a critical error of leaning out the saw too much.

Even if possible I believe that running at 100:1 lowers the max safe RPM, and I think shortening the lifespan of the bearings. The piston/cylinder were not scored at all, only gouged/cracked where the steel bits tried to get by. Bottom end completely dry.

While I don't blame amsoil exactly, I don't like it. If you can't run it at 100:1 or even 80:1, then it's just like any synthetic.

I really like the idea of some magic super lubrication compound. With mix ratios of say 500:1 or less. I wonder if these kinds of oils exist but are just way to toxic for human use?
WHAT.

Its only a suggestion. I wouldn’t but a lot do and have no problems
Well in society these days many believe its good practice to use the product the way the company recommends. Given there is NO good reason to run 80:1 or 100:1 it makes me question there knowledge on 2T lubrication requirements, why would I want a product from a company that offers extreme poor advice? Oil companies make big funny claims, as ridiculous as many are, very few advise ratios remotely close to 100:1. I don't think saber is a terrible product but I do think their ethics are very questionable. You think they'll replace your cooked saw....lol, good luck!

Well in society these days many believe its good practice to use the product the way the company recommends. Given there is NO good reason to run 80:1 or 100:1 it makes me question there knowledge on 2T lubrication requirements, why would I want a product from a company that offers extreme poor advice? Oil companies make big funny claims, as ridiculous as many are, very few advise ratios remotely close to 100:1. I don't think saber is a terrible product but I do think their ethics are very questionable. You think they'll replace your cooked saw....lol, good luck!

And if you had a warranty on your new saw you might as well have ran it over with a D 8 because the manufacturer will just laugh at you for running it that lean on oil.

Back