Toasted my clone ms660 on amsoil at 100:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again mental gymnastics at its finest. The stupid ratio is to blame, and I've had a few saws as examples. Again what does a chemical analysis do in an engine that was obviously ran on not enough oil? This was my point, but you're too caught up in salesmen type BS to notice.
Definitely not salesman type bs. Yall are trying to pass off the idea that if there is oil...and the oil is intact...and something breaks, its the oils fault. I know better than that, i see people all the time that piss and moan about how its not their fault it must be my fault..it must be the oil...it cant possibly have been a sudden and explainable parts failure due to normal wear, or improper oil ratio, a defective part, a hot batch of corn gas, improper tuning..or a small air leak...or any number of other factors. Ive tested 27% ethanol content in two separate burnt up saws that both owners got gas at the same station...both owners admitted the saws felt sluggish but they kept using them until they failed...both wanted warranty work, but..I couldn't. Its not the oil manufacturers fault, its not the saw manufacturers fault, its only partly the owners fault for not stopping when something was clearly not right...its the fault of whoever pumped in nearly 3x the legal limit of ethanol into the underground tanks...but, good luck going after them. Its unfortunate and everyone lost in that instance...but.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Ive used a 4 stroke propane saw. That tech probably will never happen, the tanks are big and bulky, the fuel makes less power. It was more or less a prototype using a Honda 50cc power head adapted to propane...3d printed rear handle and chassis. They had a 14" lo pro .043 chain on it and it was pretty weak but as heavy as a damn ms290. Used a lantern style tank that screwed in from the back..your hand was about an inch from the tank and the while trigger group sat really high. It was cool in that it started on 1 pull cold and had a very smooth quiet idle...very responsive. But impractical.

Edit- 35cc Honda GX50. Used a bolt on clutch/box that had a bar mount on it and a spur, im guessing a reversing gear inside also.

Of course a hacked together proof of concept type of thing isn't going to work nearly as well as a built for purpose from the ground up device.

For the record, the only reason the "fuel makes less power" is because the gaseous fuel displaces air/oxygen, effectively making the engine smaller. There is liquid propane injection which doesn't suffer this issue. Impractical in a saw? You bet, but ten years ago I'd have said the same thing about EFI, and yet here we are.

The batteries are a long shot too. No clue which we'll get first, if either.

Definitely not salesman type bs. Yall are trying to pass off the idea that if there is oil...and the oil is intact...and something breaks, its the oils fault. I know better than that, i see people all the time that piss and moan about how its not their fault it must be my fault..it must be the oil...
No...

When you pull s top end, and everything is dry inside because lack of oil. This saw is a 441 owned by a friend who wanted to see if Saber would actually work at 100:1, he even called Amsoil beforehand and they assured him if anything came up they would cover it. The saw was tuned correctly and it had no other issues, it was a newer saw anyway. After two tanks of fuel this was the mess found, it was cleaned up and the cylinder was ported, the saw is still running today, ten years later. So what do you suppose caused this? I can tell you 100% it was Saber mixed 100:1.

441 piston..jpg

I have no reason to try it, as I've seen the results first hand, I would be stupid too after what I've seen. Plus if you buy a new piece of equipment and run it on those ratios you lose your warranty, good luck getting Amsoil to cover that. Have I ever recommend 8:1? I know you're joking, but sadly when some recommends 70:1 100:1 they're not joking, even though it is a joke.
:rock2: :rock2: :rock2: :rock2:

Of course a hacked together proof of concept type of thing isn't going to work nearly as well as a built for purpose from the ground up device.

For the record, the only reason the "fuel makes less power" is because the gaseous fuel displaces air/oxygen, effectively making the engine smaller. There is liquid propane injection which doesn't suffer this issue. Impractical in a saw? You bet, but ten years ago I'd have said the same thing about EFI, and yet here we are.

The batteries are a long shot too. No clue which we'll get first, if either.
Battery is close, but you'll never get away from the inherent issue of charging. Tesla has made tremendous strides in battery tech but if your battery goes flat and you aren't in extension cord range...youre hoofin it.

I look forward to the long term and real world practicality of the 500i...i remember the early efi Kawasaki Twins, they nearly perfected the efi system but used a plastic cam gear that always failed and wrecked the engine...so they got a bad name.

Latest posts

Back