Toasted my clone ms660 on amsoil at 100:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or even if they recommended it at 100:1 for light duty 2 strokes and richer for severe service engines.

If they would stand behind their warranty claims that would be great too.
The thing is though its more often than not an oil problem and virtually no oil company will warranty anything...because they know if its all done right it won't fail. Everyone loves to blame the oil first thing. But oil is pretty constant..generally if you are having a lube issue it will quickly show up on the piston at the port. Ive had saws get straight gassed 2 or 3 times and never hurt the bottom end. If you have a bottom end failure its a parts problem or debris. He ran 100:1 and had no issues at the piston...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The thing is though its more often than not an oil problem and virtually no oil company will warranty anything...because they know if its all done right it won't fail. Everyone loves to blame the oil first thing. But oil is pretty constant..generally if you are having a lube issue it will quickly show up on the piston at the port. Ive had saws get straight gassed 2 or 3 times and never hurt the bottom end. If you have a bottom end failure its a parts problem or debris. He ran 100:1 and had no issues at the piston...

Not saying that it’s not usually the oil. But when it is the oil, Ams is notorious for saying FAW-Q to everyone.

Not saying that it’s not usually the oil. But when it is the oil, Ams is notorious for saying FAW-Q to everyone.
16 years and numerous customers demanding warranty coverage due to alleged oil problems, ive never seen a single instance where there was a claim that wasn't kicked back to owner error or a hard part failure. In training for most every manufacturer one of their biggest points is failure analysis and looking for what caused the failure...and looking for signs of trying to mislead technicians. Oil works but oil has its limits, a big factor in saws is heat, good oil will protect but if the saw is run lean and pushed hard...it can exceed the oils limit and it breaks down. You see saws come in with bad filters, caked in dirt, too long of a bar on a farm/ranch saw..smoked, and they want to blame someone as to why their 9 month old saw is blown...because it simply must be a defective part or the oils fault.

16 years and numerous customers demanding warranty coverage due to alleged oil problems, ive never seen a single instance where there was a claim that wasn't kicked back to owner error or a hard part failure. In training for most every manufacturer one of their biggest points is failure analysis and looking for what caused the failure...and looking for signs of trying to mislead technicians. Oil works but oil has its limits, a big factor in saws is heat, good oil will protect but if the saw is run lean and pushed hard...it can exceed the oils limit and it breaks down. You see saws come in with bad filters, caked in dirt, too long of a bar on a farm/ranch saw..smoked, and they want to blame someone as to why their 9 month old saw is blown...because it simply must be a defective part or the oils fault.

Look. Let’s agree to disagree.

Amsoil’s marketing lies and their refusal to honor ANY claims speaks for itself.

I’ll never buy another of their products unless they change their tune and admit what they did was wrong. And by the arrogance and hubris exuded by their employees, I won’t hold my breath on that happening. Ever.

Look. Let’s agree to disagree.

Amsoil’s marketing lies and their refusal to honor ANY claims speaks for itself.

I’ll never buy another of their products unless they change their tune and admit what they did was wrong. And by the arrogance and hubris exuded by their employees, I won’t hold my breath on that happening. Ever.
Im a dealer, i sell their stuff like many others, i use it in my truck and vette exclusively. My T56 got messed up by their syncromesh fluid...but i took full blame, the Trans said use dex3, the manual said to use dex3, most of the internet said use dex3 or 4...Tremec said Syncromesh. Syncromesh destroyed my syncros....and any syncromesh fluid would have done the exact same thing because ir wasnt the oils fault or amsoils fault, it was my own and im paying for it.

Ive yet to see an instance where oil of any kind was directly a factor in a failure...i mean, you would need to show the oil was chemically faulty.

Just came across this thread, For what it's worth, I'm a small Amsoil dealer and love there products.
I had a 98 Honda CR250 and a 2000 CR125 and ran there oil at 100-1 with absolutely no issues. Either
racing motocross or riding sand pits. Never lost a motor or piston. To the op i would say you had a bad
crank from the get go. Not the oil.

Im a dealer, i sell their stuff like many others, i use it in my truck and vette exclusively. My T56 got messed up by their syncromesh fluid...but i took full blame, the Trans said use dex3, the manual said to use dex3, most of the internet said use dex3 or 4...Tremec said Syncromesh. Syncromesh destroyed my syncros....and any syncromesh fluid would have done the exact same thing because ir wasnt the oils fault or amsoils fault, it was my own and im paying for it.

Ive yet to see an instance where oil of any kind was directly a factor in a failure...i mean, you would need to show the oil was chemically faulty.

I've posted pictures. So you wouldn't accept oil can cause a failure unless it's chemically faulty?[emoji1][emoji1] how you going to do that? yup you're a salesman, as that's the biggest load I've heard in awhile. If you only have one quart of oil in your engine, and it fails, I'm going to guess the dealer will blame it on lack of oil and not cover it under warranty, no chemical analysis required lol.

The Amsoil guys have tried to gain the market here like the lawn-site and others. Nope not here. Good oil but they're all sleaze bags, that jump through 100:1 mental gymnastics every time.[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

I've posted pictures. So you wouldn't accept oil can cause a failure unless it's chemically faulty?[emoji1][emoji1] how you going to do that? yup you're a salesman, as that's the biggest load I've heard in awhile. If you only have one quart of oil in your engine, and it fails, I'm going to guess the dealer will blame it on lack of oil and not cover it under warranty, no chemical analysis required lol.

The Amsoil guys have tried to gain the market here like the lawn-site and others. Nope not here. Good oil but they're all sleaze bags, that jump through 100:1 mental gymnastics every time.[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]
I dont push their stuff, i only supply it to those that want it, its a solid following. Opti2 is the only 2 stroke oil i use.

Yes. I refuse to accept that oil is the culprit in a failure unless it is proven to be chemically bad. You can take Mobil1 and put it in a car...pin the engine against the limiter and send a few rods into orbit..was it the oils fault?

False.

When they stomp the ground claiming 100:1 works and it repeatedly does not, they proceed to give the middle finger at their (now former) customers who trusted them and followed their advice.

As I have said before, I have no issue with their products but will never spend a single dime with them because of their snake oil pitch and "not our problem" warranty mantra.

False.

When they stomp the ground claiming 100:1 works and it repeatedly does not, they proceed to give the middle finger at their (now former) customers who trusted them and followed their advice.

As I have said before, I have no issue with their products but will never spend a single dime with them because of their snake oil pitch and "not our problem" warranty mantra.
What did you have fail that you are so adamant was their fault?

So...you don't like them because their oil works and they won't fix stuff thats not their fault....gotcha.

I’ve dealt with some of their people locally (I used to live a couple miles from their plant) and know enough mechanics I trust who have been given the bird by them to not need to give them any more chances.

Lots of people all over the internet saying "Amsoil can be run at 100:1 but I do 50:1 or 40:1 just to be safe." This is the first time I've ever heard of someone actually running it at 100:1, and look what happened.

Who runs 16:1 these days? Eventually tech will move on, eventually we'll run 100:1, but that day isn't today.

Thinking on it for a sec, I'll bet on a practical 4 stroke chainsaw, or someone inventing a battery that packs enough oomph in a small enough size/weight package that we stop using internal combustion engines entirely, before we get to 100:1. Man I'd love a 4 stroke propane chainsaw.

Lots of people all over the internet saying "Amsoil can be run at 100:1 but I do 50:1 or 40:1 just to be safe." This is the first time I've ever heard of someone actually running it at 100:1, and look what happened.

Who runs 16:1 these days? Eventually tech will move on, eventually we'll run 100:1, but that day isn't today.

Thinking on it for a sec, I'll bet on a practical 4 stroke chainsaw, or someone inventing a battery that packs enough oomph in a small enough size/weight package that we stop using internal combustion engines entirely, before we get to 100:1. Man I'd love a 4 stroke propane chainsaw.
Ive used a 4 stroke propane saw. That tech probably will never happen, the tanks are big and bulky, the fuel makes less power. It was more or less a prototype using a Honda 50cc power head adapted to propane...3d printed rear handle and chassis. They had a 14" lo pro .043 chain on it and it was pretty weak but as heavy as a damn ms290. Used a lantern style tank that screwed in from the back..your hand was about an inch from the tank and the while trigger group sat really high. It was cool in that it started on 1 pull cold and had a very smooth quiet idle...very responsive. But impractical.

Edit- 35cc Honda GX50. Used a bolt on clutch/box that had a bar mount on it and a spur, im guessing a reversing gear inside also.

Yes. I refuse to accept that oil is the culprit in a failure unless it is proven to be chemically bad. You can take Mobil1 and put it in a car...pin the engine against the limiter and send a few rods into orbit..was it the oils fault?

Once again mental gymnastics at its finest. The stupid ratio is to blame, and I've had a few saws as examples. Again what does a chemical analysis do in an engine that was obviously ran on not enough oil? This was my point, but you're too caught up in salesmen type BS to notice.

I get it...yall dont like trying new stuff, that's fine..run 8:1 castor...whatever tickles your pickle.

I have no reason to try it, as I've seen the results first hand, I would be stupid too after what I've seen. Plus if you buy a new piece of equipment and run it on those ratios you lose your warranty, good luck getting Amsoil to cover that.[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1] Have I ever recommend 8:1? I know you're joking, but sadly when some recommends 70:1 100:1 they're not joking, even though it is a joke.[emoji6][emoji111]

Back