Toasted my clone ms660 on amsoil at 100:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lead is incredibly toxic! What you're saying here is incredibly stupid! As bad as saying the earth is flat. Your reasoning is absurd from top to bottom. Sorry to be so harsh, but those who spread lousy information need to be stopped, too much of this absurdity going around these days. Saying such things actually indicates that you've been exposed to too many toxic substances lol.

Asbestos hooks into your lungs, after large amounts are inhaled it will build up and cause scarring, which can cause cancer and other lung problems. People do in fact overreact to Asbestos, especially when it's not even airborne.
This!

Interesting FACT , the man who had the dangers of lead exposed and pushed to have it removed from all of society worked on the Manhattan project.
Seems odd that our grandparents aren't a bunch of booger eating morons from breathing lead fumes from cars and living in lead painted homes? Come to think of it I dont even recall anyone saying at any point in my life "O' that person died of lead poisoning " ( bullet reference aside) . But radiation? Yes people do die from that , dangerous posts are only as dangerous as the uninformed.
And I mix 40:1 , 100: 1 is ridiculous.

I still have some lead additive for four strokes that were built in the days of leaded gas. They sold the stuff for a while after gas stations switched to only unleaded gas.

They have had a large number of big end bearing failures on these kits, usually within the first few tanks, wouldnt condemn the oil if the top end looked good...the lowest bidder bulk chi-com bearings have been exploding at 32:1

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Best explanation I've ever read about oil mix ratios was on a 2 stroke Moto cross forum. In the thread the guy explained that different two strokes operate on different power bands, a Moto cross bike while operating at high rpms most of the time are under load or operating in the upper power band 100% of the time so the mix ratios can be higher. A chainsaw where 99% of the time it's operating in the upper power band under load and sometimes heavy load need lower mix ratios to survive long term.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
good analogy

I catch hell for it but I've been running Opti2 at 70:1 in 91 corn free fuel in all my stuff for about 9 months now, and selling it to alot of customers who have reported only good things so far..no failures or signs of accelerated wear. Not sure id push saber to 100:1 but, when i tear stuff down on 70:1 there is alot of oil present...so

Is there a noticeable difference in performance with the higher ratio? I'm trying to understand why this is a thing?
I guess the theory is...you get a finite amount of fuel/oil into the cylinder per stroke...fuel combusts to make power and oil does not...thus the more fuel you have, the more power. I find that my saws start and idle a bit better on 70:1 opti2 vs Echo PowerBlend, HP Ultra, XP oil...etc. Its not like...night and day, but they do tend to run better. As long as its not causing damage..

I guess the theory is...you get a finite amount of fuel/oil into the cylinder per stroke...fuel combusts to make power and oil does not...thus the more fuel you have, the more power. I find that my saws start and idle a bit better on 70:1 opti2 vs Echo PowerBlend, HP Ultra, XP oil...etc. Its not like...night and day, but they do tend to run better. As long as its not causing damage..

Ok , thanks. the theory sounds logical .

I wonder why a Chevy V8 needs 6 quarts of oil to run and perform... should work fine on one quart or less? A very similar situation and no one would ever question the need for a sufficient amount of oil in a 4-stroke engine.
The fuel mist produced by the carburetor in a 2-stroke contains little enough oil as is. Only a very small portion of that will ever reach any lubrication point within the engine, most of the oil will just be wasted through the exhaust, but we have no other mechanical drive as effective, light and universal as 2-stroke engines at the moment, although electric motors seem to become a viable alternative.
I stick to the recommendations and even use a little extra oil for insurance in heavy-duty applications. The oil is cheaper than an engine overhaul.

Oil does combust, more oil makes more power. The fuel to air ratio is set by the tuning, not the mix ratio. There is zero benefit to lean ratios.[emoji111]

Make sure the bottom end moving parts get the proper amount of oil to prevent shearing and wear over time. If you feel that running thin on oil mix will keep the moving parts happy in extreme heat conditions etc.. for many years to come?? ... Use what you like, mileage may vary. I like oil on the lower end.

I wonder why a Chevy V8 needs 6 quarts of oil to run and perform... should work fine on one quart or less? A very similar situation and no one would ever question the need for a sufficient amount of oil in a 4-stroke engine.
The fuel mist produced by the carburetor in a 2-stroke contains little enough oil as is. Only a very small portion of that will ever reach any lubrication point within the engine, most of the oil will just be wasted through the exhaust, but we have no other mechanical drive as effective, light and universal as 2-stroke engines at the moment, although electric motors seem to become a viable alternative.
I stick to the recommendations and even use a little extra oil for insurance in heavy-duty applications. The oil is cheaper than an engine overhaul.
But in Kart racing we regularly ran 12oz of oil in an engine designed for 20oz...and turned it at 6800rpms when it was designed for 3600...they never complained. A Chevy V8 will function on whatever amount of oil covers the pickup while all the galleys are filled and the system is under pressure. The added oil capacity gives you longer oil life and keeps the oil cooler...a dry sump does a better job of it.

But in a 2 stroke the supply of fresh oil is constant.

Oil does combust, more oil makes more power. The fuel to air ratio is set by the tuning, not the mix ratio. There is zero benefit to lean ratios.[emoji111]
What is the logic in more oil makes more power? Is it added octane? Is it an oxygenator?

Im legit curious because its always been my understanding that peak power on a naturally aspirated engine is at the stoiciometric air/fuel ratio of 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel..and add timing until you detonate and back it down. You can only add more fuel if you add more air and vice-versa or you will go rich or lean...thus you can inject No2 with is an oxidizer and add fuel on top..this effectively boosts your volumetric efficiency and makes power when the No2 combusts and releases oxygen.

But..oil...i dont see anything in its makeup that can add oxygen or that would suppress detonation and allow more timing, possibly it could seal worn rings and give a small bump in dynamic compression but i dont see in a modern healthy saw that being an issue.

Latest posts

Back