Aftermarket Bars & Chain for Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray K

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up a used 290 and need a replacement bar. My local Stihl dealer prices the replacement 18" bar at $55 and about $25 for a green chain.

There are plenty of non-Stihl bars but I don't know enough to know the good from the bad.

What should I look for in a bar to meet Stihl's quality but not the price?

Post a picture of your bar. Usually you can true up the rails and be good to go, as long as the groove is not worn out and the sprocket good.

I use a vertical belt sander then smooth the rails by draw filing.

Send the "green" chain to AOC.

If this saw is going to be used a lot, and you want something over then an OEM Stihl bar then look at Forester Platinum bars. They are excellent and less expensive then some of the highly touted Japanese bars. If the 290 is not going to be a work horse then Oregon B&C is an excellent combo to consider.

I just got a great deal on a 36” Stihl Bar from whitesfarmsupply.com.

Sent me the wrong chains but $84 for a genuine Stihl 36” bar! Two chains costed more!! Sending the chains back has been a process but they are taking them, I got the return shipping label in the literal mail yesterday. Must not have computers there. Lol.

Just picked up a used 290 and need a replacement bar. My local Stihl dealer prices the replacement 18" bar at $55 and about $25 for a green chain.

There are plenty of non-Stihl bars but I don't know enough to know the good from the bad.

Wow at my dealer average 18 inch chains are 19$

Stihl bars are tough to beat but they are really expensive. Same for the chain.

You can get an Oregon bar/chain combo for under 40 bucks. If you hunt around for the length/gauge/pitch of bar and chain you need you can probably get the two for even less.

There are a number of other manufacturers out there. I bought a Tri-link combo set on sale for 15 bucks. It did not last as long as a Stihl set but the price was right.

If you have concerns about brand, post up here and folks can give you their opinion.

Back