Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaning towards your’s @Philbert. Cheaper plus a discount and you’ve used it.
Sent you a PM with some additional info. It is not fast, but it provides 10: 1 leverage, which you can increase by the use of pulleys. Decide what you need, how you are going to use it, etc.

Philbert

And the solution is.....?
put a 42" bar on a 395 or your big dolly, cut some rough-as mitres in the slab wood, use a wee saw to cut some reinforcing 1x4 across the mitres, mix up heaps of epoxy resin and glue it all together. If it all works out, do another one, and then a table for a 'collect the full set' kinda deal.

But with every solution comes another problem - I can't lift them and the table will be twice that weight. So, gonna need a few strong lads to move it all into position, and possibly its own concrete pad

At one time or another I have used every one of those tools, still have some of them. ONe exception is the tool hanging horizontal just above the door, What is it?
That’s pretty cool. Yeah I’m not sure, branding iron and pully just hanging there, not part of it? Kinda big though. I’ll have to ask them next time I’m there.

A bit cooler here today. 65* with a nice breeze. Already shed the flannel shirt from this morning. Splitting up some of the free ash from this summer. 3 buckets like this so far.
View attachment 763517

Yea, I just got done splitting some more Ash, Cherry and Red Maple this morning. The pile keeps growing!
You guys had all this splitting done by noon and I'm just getting out of bed. I better get to work.

That’s pretty cool. Yeah I’m not sure, branding iron and pully just hanging there, not part of it? Kinda big though. I’ll have to ask them next time I’m there.

Branding Iron was my guess for the long handled thing but it looked like it was attached to the pulley gizmo.

Dad's brand back in the 40s was "Lazy diamond J" - a diamond laying on it's side with a J attached horizontal from the right hand point of the diamond. Not much of a herd though, hard scrabble farm with milk cows. His first name was Joseph but went by Joe

Didn’t get any scrounging in today, finishing up a friends 391. He felt it should have more guts and asked me to work on it, this was that Stihl carb I was working on earlier this week. I put extra port slots in the muff, 95F4531B-354F-403D-ADC5-64DD293031D9.jpeg 9DEB2943-DF1C-46DE-B6C7-A08F7ECC2648.jpeg forgot pics after I polished it up. His chains had been sharpened by some place near where he lives and not one chain out of 6 had the rakers set. When I took the chain off the saw the spur drive had seen better days. Sharp chains, muff mod and retuned and a new clutch hub should make a huge difference. He might even think I know what I’m doing.

At one time or another I have used every one of those tools, still have some of them. ONe exception is the tool hanging horizontal just above the door, What is it?
I was thinking the same thing. Looking out my window, on my shed, I have a cross cut, a scythe, a hay saw/knife , hay hooks, digging bar and wooden scoop shovel. All things I hope to never touch again!

Branding Iron was my guess for the long handled thing but it looked like it was attached to the pulley gizmo.

Dad's brand back in the 40s was "Lazy diamond J" - a diamond laying on it's side with a J attached horizontal from the right hand point of the diamond. Not much of a herd though, hard scrabble farm with milk cows. His first name was Joseph but went by Joe

My grandpa was told they needed a brand on their cows when they first came to Idaho so they used the wheel wrench for the wagon, brand was square bar square. Wrench was similar to this https://images.app.goo.gl/kYw8vYKXGQ6Rx4BDA

Did some volunteering this morning and scrounged a burial flag in a trashed display case and a 6# maul with a handle that’s suffered a few overstrikes. Will make sure both of these see better treatment going forward.

I believe the maul is a Collins. Traces of blue paint with Made in USA stamped in the side.

96CCB4DD-1EB0-4893-A9EB-C814CACCD4E7.jpeg

Latest posts

Back