Horse power and chain size Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Gare

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a new saw. I need a 24-25 inch chain. The wood I'll be cutting is 36" wide. The horsepower and chain size is confusing.

Husqvarna 460 rancher 60.3 см, 3.68 cu.in, 3.62 hp vs 550 XP Mark II 50cc 4 hP. Shouldn't the .4 hp more in the 550 be able to handle a 24" chain better than the 460?

A 24” bar is a stretch for either of those saws. They will work but if needed but if you are commonly cutting 36” wood you’d definitely be better off with a larger saw.

The 460 is a farm ranch grade saw for general purpose use. The 550 is a smaller/lighter high performance professional saw meant for quickly cutting smaller wood. The 550 usually runs a 16-18” bar and IIRC at 24” would be at the very high end of what it’s oiler would support.

I'm trying to decide on a new saw. I need a 24-25 inch chain. The wood I'll be cutting is 36" wide. The horsepower and chain size is confusing.

Husqvarna 460 rancher 60.3 см, 3.68 cu.in, 3.62 hp vs 550 XP Mark II 50cc 4 hP. Shouldn't the .4 hp more in the 550 be able to handle a 24" chain better than the 460?

What kind of wood? Are falling? Cutting rounds for firewood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut down a 28+ inch red oak yesterday (long solid main trunk). Saws I use are 550xp 18",562xp 20" ported, 572xp 24". Have run 24" bar on 562, but in larger wood 572 handles it easier. Something to think about is a Miller Mod 390xp, that saw with an 8 pin was a step up. What I enjoy being older, is setting that 572 down and picking up that 550 for limbs and 4-16 inch branches, feels like nothing after using a 572 or 390. Did not feel that way before, just take a 372 and cut it all. Getting old sucks! It's your money and hope you purchase right saw for you and your needs. If you have a smaller limb saw, purchasing a larger saw only hurts for a little while, then you forget about the price when you are smiling.

Good advice given above. The 460 Rancher is really a step up from a "homeowner" grade saw. The 460 really should run an 18" bar (or even a 16" bar) for it to perform well (IMO). I like to run the smallest bar/chain that can reasonably get the job done. The bigger the bar/chain the more ponies required to pull it around. There is also a safety factor to consider. You really want your saw to cut "with authority" when felling. A too-small / underpowered saw can be dangerous.

A 36" DBH tree is a BIG tree. You really need a bigger saw that is designed for that purpose. As I'm a Husky fan, I'll recommend the new Husqvarna 572XP or the older-but-well-proven 372XP. Another option is the Dolmar PS-7900. Great saws for the money. If you want to step up to the big-boy saws, a Husqvarna 390XP is my absolute favorite saw. Mine wears a 32" bar (when needed) and has felled hundreds of trees.

JQ

Of the two options above, the 460 is the better choice.

A better choice, at a price step up is the 365. There’s no real need to buy a “pro” saw for occasional use, but it’s a good saw at a good price that should do a good job at a price step down from a 562, 372 or 572. Not to mention that it carries most of the parts from the 372.

Keep in mind if you get a full skip on a 24” bar the 460 should be able to handle it.
I’m not even sure you can get a small mount bar in 24”...

I had a 455 for a couple years and a full comp 20” chain it was pulling, pulling well might I add. Pretty sure that was it’s limit however and I was cutting softwood btw.

My 550 with 20” 3/8 can bog down sometimes with the full comp in softwood.

Keep in mind if you get a full skip on a 24” bar the 460 should be able to handle it.

I had a 455 for a couple years and a full comp 20” chain it was pulling, pulling well might I add. Pretty sure that was it’s limit however and I was cutting softwood btw.

Oregon does make a 24” small mount. Still a lot to ask of that saw.

You can get a 28” in a small mount husky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just bought a 550xp mII bout a half tank thru the saw , i do miss the weight of a the old 346xp ne or oe, but the mark II is a sweet saw , starts , runs and power is flawless ..........the 550 mII is not in the same league a a 460 box store saw , no question the markII theirs a killer deal on one on this site ....fyi.. i run 18 inch you could run a 24 if needed at times...as stated by others if cutting large trees were a 24-28 bar is mostly needed so would a larger saw...than either of the saws you suggested

I'd take a look at the Echo cs590 it's a good all around saw. Damn good for the price.
The one we have pulls + oils a 20" easy in hardwoods I don't think a 24" would be a stretch for it at all.

I’d want more saw than either of those two to work that sort of wood.

The fact that a thing can be done doesn’t make it ideal. I’ve dropped and processed 24”+ trees with a ported 346 and a 13” bar. It works and can be done. But 70cc+ saw with 20-28” bar makes the process, and especially the blocking up of big trunk pieces, easier and faster.

Back