Big bar, small chain, mediocre power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't cut "big wood" that often, cant seem to justify a "big" saw, as much as I love them.

I was wondering if I bought a light duty bar such as this: https://www.forestershop.com/forest...ain-saw-bar-husqvarna-36-inch-hv3650115w.html

Equipped it with 115 DL worth of .050 3/8 low profile chain (like comes on much smaller saws) and a custom skip tooth grind to scavenge all the power I can from the 460 Rancher? (60CC saw).

I might only make 10 cuts I have to hit from both sides with the 24" a year, so this combination wouldn't get the dickens used out of it, by any means...

Would this work, why/why not.

It will not work well.

Isn't the mount for a Husky 460 the smaller one than that? I think the 095 mount can come in up to 28 inches in 3/8 and up to 24 inches in .325.

That nose sprocket isn't supposed to fit the drive links of the chain you mention very well at all. The drive sprocket will work but not ideally and probably not well at all for the power of a 60cc saw.

I would think regular skip chain would be preferable just kind or rock back and forth so full contact never happens, if it kind of bogs down.

It will not work well.

Isn't the mount for a Husky 460 the smaller one than that? I think the 095 mount can come in up to 28 inches in 3/8 and up to 24 inches in .325.

That nose sprocket isn't supposed to fit the drive links of the chain you mention very well at all. The drive sprocket will work but not ideally and probably not well at all for the power of a 60cc saw.

I would think regular skip chain would be preferable just kind or rock back and forth so full contact never happens, if it kind of bogs down.
yes it probably would be a K095 mount. It doesn't include a 460. It starts with a 61.
It also didn't include the 268/272/385/390/395... possibly others before my time too.

If you let me know a little while in advance. I can help you out.
I'm not far away. I can probably swing by and make 10 cuts and be done, before you could make one with a setup like your talking about.

I've run several 460's not bad saws for what they were intended for. But honestly if you wanted to run a bar longer than 24". You could, but it's going to be slow going and kill your saw.

Steven

Yeah, the mount won't work, it looks like. Thanks for pointing that out, FrannyK and Westboastfaller.

I know its a less than ideal situation. Slow going is okay with me as long as the cut happens without incident. Looks like it won't work mechanically anyway.

People think the 460 cannot run a 24" even, but I seem to have used it with some success AND only burned up one clutch after a lot of years of ownership, and that was because of the following:

Seems like "half of the time" I get a performance degrade somewhere within these big cuts that leaves it going sideways. IE, makes a 2 sided cut pretty awful for the operator and pretty hard on the saw. I end up having to stop and switch chains and restart the cut in the middle of the log or something dumb like that. In the midst of one of these battles, I smoked the OEM clutch on it a few years ago. As long as the saw stays straight and sharp, I seem to do okay with it and have not been disappointed with the performance.

Might try to make a full skip chain for the 24" out of an older chain with a bad tooth or two. Maybe I'll be impressed?

Steve will PM ya. Cool :)

Yeah, the mount won't work, it looks like. Thanks for pointing that out, FrannyK and Westboastfaller.
I should be starting and finishing at the bottom of your post but I'll play along.

I've filed out my bars between my 266 & 262 to fit the adjustes back in the day when I with tree thinning. You do what you do in a pinch to make a days pay or have down time for the rest of the day.
I believe I could still get oil to drip down with the wide mount on the 262 but to the side of the chain.
Oilers won't line up but you could put the oil on manually or a journal to line them up I would imagine.
It's all possible.
I don't think its a reduced weigh bar? You said "light duty bar" ??
If it's not then that will give you a lot of extended weight.
On smaller saws,your leverage distance to the pivot is shorter.
In layman's terms. Your hand grips are closer together making it feel more out of balance due to the extra down force needed to level each time. The downward force becomes 'saw weight' as it now transfers to the front hand. Not the end of the world. I did it for years with a ported 372's. Stick the tree with the dogs high up in cases and drag it down if needed and then set level.

People think the 460 cannot run a 24" even, but I seem to have used it with some success.
That's up to the filer . A 24" full house also has the same amount of cutter as a 36" skip.
Round chisel in this case needs to be angled up into the corner and not so deep into the gulet (less hook) I like to keep an assortments of file sizes for different purposes. 1/4 file will help reduce hook. Also pick a chain with a higher factory raker setting.
Since your saw is under powered and you're no surgeon then I would be thinking about strapping any tree with barber chair potential.

Seems like "half of the time" I get a performance degrade somewhere within these big cuts that leaves it going sideways. IE, makes a 2 sided cut pretty awful for the operator and pretty hard on the saw. I end up having to stop and switch chains and restart the cut in the middle of the log or something dumb like that.
The more the teeth in the cut, the more aggressive the hook, the flatter the file across the cutting edge, the lower the rakers, the less forgiving.
Slow speeds will allow it to cut with out resistance to the off angle. Centripetal force from high speed will surge it and may stop it.
The dogs will stop the cutting if one side is bad enough.
You are trying to overcome two problems with one thing. A new longer bar and new chain is a temporary fix. Get a few new chains and pay for your chains to be maintained. Use your dogs. If your chain is running off then the dogs will hold it straight and you will get a binding affect. Stop right away and swap chains and drop one off to be filed.
That's a fix for both.
Seriously man, you don't need a longer bar. I would suggest a new bar, chain and sprocket & rehab or get your chains done for you and pick up some bar maintained and theory. You are trying to put the cart before the horse.

I think Philbert has a class on right now. He has a respectable understanding. Perhaps you should do some digging and reading if your are serious about results.

Might try to make a full skip chain for the 24" out of an older chain with a bad tooth or two. Maybe I'll be impressed?
The easiest thing to change is the way we think.

'You' start with shït you end with shït. True goods!
Pull up your game and I'll be happy to help with the rest.

I never understood the 460, the numbers don't make sense. My 450 seems more impressive with the specs and hp rating. It pulls a 18" bar my stihl 290 with a 49mm piston makes more power than the 460 and does well with a 20" bar in .325 pitch. Now u want a 3/8 lo pro on a 60cc saw? Seems odd. Id try a full skip chain in 24" . Id like one for my 290 but I don't need it 20" is big enough for whatever I need .

Westboastfaller,

I'm not too disappointed about the "fantasy bar" not working. Recently, I've stepped up my filing game a ton. It takes gobs of time but the results are worth it, but its still frustrating how the dirty wood we deal with kills full chisel (what Husquavarna sells at the farm store for this saw) so fast. I've heard this chain is also not good quality. The allure of the durability of semi-chisel low pro in the dirty wood with a big bar length seemed like a good idea to me, is all.

Since your saw is under powered and you're no surgeon then I would be thinking about strapping any tree with barber chair potential.

What do you mean by this?

In some measure, I've already taken your advice and have gotten much better at bar and chain maintenance recently. Probably have a ways to go to fully recover and get all the rounded chisel tips completely filed out and the angles corrected... and I think I've been too aggressive and not precise enough filing the dogs... The appropriate measuring tools for that are probably my next investment rather than a new bar/chain....

A local tree guy uses a 24" 460 as his mid size saw with very aggressive looking forestry chain on it. He claims to love it.

It really depends on the wood and how you cut it. I put my 24" bar from my 044 on a 391 and put it in 3' of oak. The saw could pull it if I didn't push it too much, but the oiler could not keep up. Maybe a different story in soft woods.

It really depends on the wood and how you cut it. I put my 24" bar from my 044 on a 391 and put it in 3' of oak. The saw could pull it if I didn't push it too much, but the oiler could not keep up. Maybe a different story in soft woods.
I know on Husky stuff you can really push bar length I run a 562 with a 32" it'll oil the same in hardwoods and softwoods.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Westboastfaller,

I'm not too disappointed about the "fantasy bar" not working. Recently, I've stepped up my filing game a ton. It takes gobs of time but the results are worth it, but its still frustrating how the dirty wood we deal with kills full chisel (what Husquavarna sells at the farm store for this saw) so fast. I've heard this chain is also not good quality. The allure of the durability of semi-chisel low pro in the dirty wood with a big bar length seemed like a good idea to me, is all.

What do you mean by this?

In some measure, I've already taken your advice and have gotten much better at bar and chain maintenance recently. Probably have a ways to go to fully recover and get all the rounded chisel tips completely filed out and the angles corrected... and I think I've been too aggressive and not precise enough filing the dogs... The appropriate measuring tools for that are probably my next investment rather than a new bar/chain....

A local tree guy uses a 24" 460 as his mid size saw with very aggressive looking forestry chain on it. He claims to love it.
Strapping your back cut or even chaining it together so the tree can't chair and send you for a nice ride. Here's a picture of square chisel it can speed up a cut but for dirty wood I wouldn't recommend it unless you have plenty of chains with you.
54f622e59928f78f8bd1ffc6db3e3d78.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Skeans,

I did quite a bit of research on square grind and have a Foley Belsaw chain grinder to do it (just haven't had time to set it up!) Looks good!

Ended up finding some big wood this weekend unexpectedly that required cutting from both sides with the 460. (The fella who told me about the tree figured an 18" saw would be all I needed-wrong.)

Anyway, there was only 2 cuts on the big end that I could safely reach from the ground. I still got a bit of the spiral cut ham effect (1/2" out of straight when switching sides) , but the log was heavy enough to break off. Before cutting I'd spent a good amount of time filing.

I really did notice the binding effect of the saw not having enough power to pull all of the chain with the bucking spikes engaged. Didn't start to perform well until the chain got a bit dull 3/4 through the first tank :dumb:

A 3/8 LP chain doesn't work as well on a regular 3/8 sprocket. I thought since both were 3/8 it would probably be okay but found out it doesn't fit well The LP isn't a good choice for that saw, in my opinion. You can just use a regular 3/8 and a skip chain and it'll work okay.

So recently I found big wood and borrowed an underpowered (60cc) Pro Mac 610 equipped with a 32" bar.

This saw ran the bar just fine. It cut slow- by no means a champ, and keeping a 32" oiled with a manual oiler was a bit of a chore. The saw got the 32" bar when my brother in law found it for an absolute song on ebay.

Its tempting to replicate this setup with my Grandad's old 88cc Homelite Zip and a 36" ebay bar and chain. The old bow bar is about trashed anyway...

One of the issues is I am too aggressive filing down the rakers/guides. Ordering a tool from Baileys to get the right depth from now on.

Low Profile sprockets are made a little different than full 3/8 sprockets, I don't think the LP sprockets are as deep for the drive links.. I tried a LP chain on my Super EZ and it didn't work too well, went instead to a .325 and it worked fantastic on that saw. You can't lean on it too much though because all I could find locally was a 9 or 10 tooth rim sprocket without changing the clutch drum. The chain still doesn't seem to run all that fast though..

Latest posts

Back