Porting and torque

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a saw is ported, they become faster but do they loose or gain torque? I wonder this because cutting fast is nice but a loss in torque would not be good, but a faster cutting speed and a gain in torque sounds pretty sweet. I own a few saws, mostly husqvarna and one stihl and I was thinking of having it ported but then wondered would I loose torque and I guess also potential lessen the life of the saw. I know the 372 ports well and I thats what I thinking of porting. I was quoted about 200.00$ from a reputable individual on this forum.
Thank you once again for any and all feed back
Porting will give you anywhere from nothing to 10% more power, make the saw louder, and relieve you of a couple of hundred bucks. Put a 272 head on a 61, same weight around 30% power gain. I put a 52mm jug on a 365, 35% gain. No replacement for displacement. I have ported saws, and payed others to port them for me. Walker on Vancouver Island did a real good job on a 272 once, and it did have a little more power, but I still lost a bucking contest to a stock 670 super. I think most of the power gain users experience is placebo.

Porting will give you anywhere from nothing to 10% more power, make the saw louder, and relieve you of a couple of hundred bucks. Put a 272 head on a 61, same weight around 30% power gain. I put a 52mm jug on a 365, 35% gain. No replacement for displacement. I have ported saws, and payed others to port them for me. Walker on Vancouver Island did a real good job on a 272 once, and it did have a little more power, but I still lost a bucking contest to a stock 670 super. I think most of the power gain users experience is placebo.
You should change to a different saw porter then. I've seen as little as 25% and as much as 50%. No need to lump everyone into the same can as your BC builders

No replacement for displacement
Walker on Vancouver Island did a real good job on a 272 once, and it did have a little more power, but I still lost a bucking contest to a stock 670 super.
I'm confused. Is there a replacement for displacement or not? Lol:guitar:

Experienced saw builders will ask what the saw will be used for. Long bar runners need torque more than speed. GTG saws tend to be all about speed. If the builder doesn't ask, I'd look for another as I had an 850 ported and it has a bunch more speed, but at the cost of the wonderful Mac torque one should expect. The builder didn't ask what I wanted so I learned to look for that question. That particular builder thought that speed ruled, he had not had enough real world experience.

ok...torque and horsepower are the same thing...just two different ways to mathematically express "power".......

good luck on that
the can
Allrightythen....
d5d89cf0297fb13a427a4c8cf90843f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm confused. Is there a replacement for displacement or not? Lol:guitar:

It all depends on the saw or the motor. Saws are not designed for improvements. Some have found ways to get a little extra out of a saw motor. Are they worth it. To some yes to others no. Motor cycle engines and snow mobile engines had much much more to modify to get to the very high performance level that was sought. Road race set ups were very finicky, but light and thus fast. Chain saws for most part have to create more noise to achieve performance gains. If tuned exhaust and major carburetor modifications are part of the equation then you will see major gains. Myself I like to clean up the ports the biggest cylinder available and call it a day. Thanks

When people talk about an engine having torque they typicaly are referring to torque curve width and torque at below peak RPM. Porting typicaly works by raising the port height and thus shifting the torque curve higher and making it more narrow. Adding compression increases low end torque at the expense of high end HP due to pumping loses. Of course this is a generalization.
As for porters being scammers. I don't ont think this is the case all the time, but on this very site over the years there have been many scammers. Really there are only a few guys that really know what the hell they are doing and fully understand all the dynamics involved.

Latest posts

Back