I'm Going To Throw This @#$%#$% 211 in the Pond!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say it is getting compression- but have you measured how much....... especially AFTER you honed the cylinder?

Or did you bother with a pressure test after you replaced the obviously damaged crank seals? Did you use any sealant on the seals or fit them dry? Were they an easy fit, or have to be pressed/drifted into place?

Set it out by the curb, with a link to this thread. FREE CHAINSAW if you solve the saws problem. If you can't solve, re-gift, with same instructions.
N

Well I started working on this saw again and I think I found a major problem.

The skirt of the piston is nearly worn off. I dont know how I didnt notice this before, it still had some compression, but without the proper compression tester fitting for the sparkplug hole, I couldnt verify it.

Anyway, I noticed it when I took it apart for the third time, and when messing around with it, the piston with rings just fell into the cylinder. And was loose all the way down.

I pulled the piston out and found this.

20191028_191917.jpg

The skirt comes to a knife point on that side, but it has very little scoring which is strange.

Here it is next to the new replacement.

20191028_182819.jpg

I checked the cylinder and it isnt worn, If this doesnt fix the saw, then there is literally nothing else to replace. It's practically a brand new saw.

It's crazy it would even run at all like this.

you can't tinker without the toys
might put the mityvac on xmas list
i like the pawn shop $20 reject stihls to tinker with and when i get frustrated by one just throw it back in the shed for another day

you can't tinker without the toys
might put the mityvac on xmas list
i like the pawn shop $20 reject stihls to tinker with and when i get frustrated by one just throw it back in the shed for another day
I have one because of this saw. It wasnt leaking however. The piston is nearly worn through.

Mityvac 8500. Scrimp on anything else but buy and USE this tool. One of the best investments you can make.
Yes, that is the one I have. I bought it after working on this saw. And when tested, it was not leaking. But it would not have shown the piston wear.

She's Alive!!!! After countless hours tinkering with this POS, she is finally alive and kicking. I dont know if it was only the piston from the beginning, but I just got her back together and she fired in 3 pulls. Switched to fast idle and she started in 1 and ran good, idled good. I shut her off, put the bar and chain on, along with the covers, feared the worst being a hot start, and she started up before I even finished the first freaking pull! Went out and cut about a dozen cookies and it did great, shut if off, let it sit, picked it back up after a little while, and she started on the first pull again.

She is starting so easy, I let my 9 year old give it a try and she fired right back up again.

I can finally upgrade this saw from a POS to a decent little saw. Time will tell if it holds up.

Thank you to everybody here for your advice!

Now to find another project saw.

It’s not a surprise that it wouldn’t start or run with that piston because the piston opens and closes ports. If it can’t close them efficiently during the 2 strokes for a full cycle it won’t ever work properly :) well done for finding the fault! The reward must be huge! Have a coffee and put your feet up.@trains is very good at reminding me to slow down and inspect EVERY possible part to ensure it’s working and correct. Useful advice that could have saved a lot of potential time! Anyway, we’ll done you!

Back