Jonsered 930 is it worth a rebuild ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC Cole

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Still working to get the bow bar going on my 2065 Jonsered. gotta make a chain then I am ready to try it out, Well first gotta get a spinner LOL,
I have never finished a project before starting another one ( silly me) so I have run across a Jonsered 930 .in rode hard put up wet condition. Looks like it was run without the dogs ( since I got the saw without them and the muffler was kinda beat to crap) Mu first surprise was the fact I had to use SAE to get the muffler off. My metric nut drivers would not work. I have found top end kits for under $100 and I got the saw cheap. I am not a mechanic ( my ex always wanted to know what I needed the tools for lol) and have never attempted to rebuild a chain saw, I thought I deserved a award when I finally routed the fuel lines right on the Poulan woo hoo. Another surprise was that I cannot find a compression release on the saw hmmmm ??? Any constructive input welcome. Well off to spend money on this wayward Swede. ( well hunt any way will wait to pull the trigger) later..2019-11-02 18.40.00.jpg 2019-11-02 18.40.10.jpg 2019-11-02 18.40.21.jpg

Hello , and welcome to the site , you will need to remove the cylinder , and post pic's ..all quality saw such as this , are worth fixing.... :)...BTW ...try and used oem used parts..when you can ..from the pic posted, that cylinder may not make it ...:(

If all it needs is a top end and you can get them around $100, I think it would be worth it. I would check the AV mounts out because they are a little hard to find and when you do they are expensive.

Hello , and welcome to the site , you will need to remove the cylinder , and post pic's ..all quality saw such as this , are worth fixing.... :)...BTW ...try and used oem used parts..when you can ..from the pic posted, that cylinder may not make it ...:(
yeah I figured the way the piston looks that the cylinder would be toast. Its more of a hobby for me. I cut maybe 2 cords of firewood a year ( aftrer the last heart attack I bought wood for a couple of years) but messing with stuff I don't have a clue about keeps me from getting shot by jealous young husbands

If all it needs is a top end and you can get them around $100, I think it would be worth it. I would check the AV mounts out because they are a little hard to find and when you do they are expensive.
yeah I have seen them for $4.95 to $24.95. any input on diagnosing whether or not I will have to split the case to do a bottom end ??

That cylinder might clean up, piston is shot. My advise is to take the cylinder off and send it to someone who will tell you if they can clean it up or not. Alot better than buying AM.
yeah figured I was gonna have to pull the top end off. Most of the AM that i see are nikaseal where as the OEM was chrome. Would a shop replate?? any recommended shops.

Back