wtf moment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok use a little muscle to get the file to bite, I think as mentioned the file just isn't biting because the radius is a bit off. Get through that and the file should start biting.

What brand of file are you using, and what is relatively new? I go through files rapidly, a few filings and it's gone.

Again I've never had an issue in the last 25 years I've been filing chain, with the exception of an overheated tooth.

In the video i was only using one hand so I could hold the camera in the other. It doesnt matter how much pressure I apply, I get the same result regardless.
These are Stihl and Oregon files that have only been used once before. Same result with both brands.
If I file a different chain of the same specs it works fine with the correct files.

Very interesting. I do hear the difference and I first thought it was because you were using only one hand, but you explained that. I've found that on a first-time chain, I have to file the bottom of the gullet first so the file fits better into the back of the gullet. The vid is a little fuzzy but it looks like the gullet is pretty deep.

Yeah sorry about the video quality, my normal camera is fcuked so I had to use one that I'm unfamiliar with.
I like to keep my gullets deep and my teeth hooked so I know what you mean about having to file the gullet first on a stock chain in order to properly file the cutting edge.
Thing is, this is the 5th filing of this chain and every time I have encountered the same problem.

Take one pass on a fresh tooth "one that you haven't tried to sharpen, only one pass and the hold up to a good light, maybe use a magnifier, and see what is shiny/fresh metal.

Do so with each file.

The first time I filed this chain I used 7/32 and it took me roughly 90 minutes to get every tooth shiny and sharp because the chain refused to be filed. I was watching each stroke of the file and it was in full contact with the metal. The next time I used 3/16 and spent extra time making sure each tooth had the correct shape, as though it had been filed with 7/32. When I go to file it with a 7/32 it still sits in the tooth perfectly, but it just slides through. If I file for long enough it will eventually become shiny like normal but it takes ages on each tooth, and this is with new files. The tooth still gets filed evenly, as expected, it just takes forever.

Switch over to even a fairly used 3/16 file and it works like it should. Only like I said, I have to spend a little more time making sure each tooth gets filed properly and I dont undermine the cutting edge by filing out the gullet too much.
Like I said, other chains of the same specs file just fine with the same 7/32 files that refuse to work on the chain in question.

The first time I filed this chain I used 7/32 and it took me roughly 90 minutes to get every tooth shiny and sharp because the chain refused to be filed. I was watching each stroke of the file and it was in full contact with the metal. The next time I used 3/16 and spent extra time making sure each tooth had the correct shape, as though it had been filed with 7/32. When I go to file it with a 7/32 it still sits in the tooth perfectly, but it just slides through. If I file for long enough it will eventually become shiny like normal but it takes ages on each tooth, and this is with new files. The tooth still gets filed evenly, as expected, it just takes forever.

Switch over to even a fairly used 3/16 file and it works like it should. Only like I said, I have to spend a little more time making sure each tooth gets filed properly and I dont undermine the cutting edge by filing out the gullet too much.
Like I said, other chains of the same specs file just fine with the same 7/32 files that refuse to work on the chain in question.

I to experience this, but usually with .325 chains. Consequently I loath sharpening them. I only have one neighbor that still uses this smaller chains. I have been trying to get him to switch over the 3/8s with no luck so far. I did show him how to sharpen, and he is capable of keeping his chains cutting, albeit not great, but good enough.

Try a 13/64 Stihl file, it is harder to file Stihl chsins with 3/8 files. As mister T said you're hitting the chrome, the file needs to get under that as the chrome is as hard or harder than the file it's self. This is what we're all trying to say. I really don't believe anything is wrong with the chain it's self, especially since you've already filed the tooth back.[emoji111]

Got some pix of a freshly filed chain. Any input, comments, critiques welcome. I'm satisfied with the outcome, but if I can be doing something differently/better, I'd like to learn! I know the resolution isn't the greatest!IMAG1154 1.jpg IMAG1151 (2).jpg IMAG1150 (3).jpg IMAG1149 (4).jpg IMAG1152 (5).jpg

Looks to me that you need to step down in the file size. Your 'C' is not deep enough or well defined, and your gullet is to proud. IMO, Get the Gullet is a popular phrase, but in practice, it means little but in this case it does show the file being use is to large.

BUT, if it cuts and you are happy with it, then forget what I wrote above.

I've had a similar problem. some of the teeth were undercut badly by the previous owner using smaller files. I had to take an angle grinder and cut the edge of the teeth back a touch, then they filed just fine.

Back