Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to look at this old gal today and took her for a spin. Has the T444E 7.3 in it. Some recent work done to it, frame and rocker panels clean, so is body aside from some bed rust along the rear fenders. Price is a little high, but might be taking this home if the seller scenes my offer. 222K miles, just broken in ;)

3Lu49CS.jpg
Doesn't look like it ever did much but road running.

Went to look at this old gal today and took her for a spin. Has the T444E 7.3 in it. Some recent work done to it, frame and rocker panels clean, so is body aside from some bed rust along the rear fenders. Price is a little high, but might be taking this home if the seller scenes my offer. 222K miles, just broken in ;)

3Lu49CS.jpg
363k, and a broken odometer on mine!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3Lu49CS.jpg
I like it

Doesn't look like it ever did much but road running.

It does. Suspension is very stiff, real heavy leaf springs. Will probably smooth out a bit under load, but right now I could've run over a quarter a read you the date on it!

363k, and a broken odometer on mine!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The longevity and reliability of these engines are what draw me to them. Supposedly the engine was "rebuilt" on this by the owner prior to this seller, having mixed feelings about that... It has a Banks Power turbo on it. I really am looking for something bone stock with a manual transmission, but this was the best condition that was reasonably priced.

I like it

So do I! Now I just need to make a decision...

About to pull the trigger on a deal for a traditional muzzle loader. I remember when I was young I read that you use hot soapy water for cleaning the black powder, is that still the preferred way?? Wanna know how much sense I make? I bought a deer tag for “primitive rifle” so now.... I gotta buy a primitive rifle!!

My advice Matt, for a hunting MZ, get something that uses a shotgun primer and has a stainless barrel … you will be a lot happier.

I've taken 5 deer that I can thing of with my CVA Accura (with the Bergara barrel). Nice shooter and never mis fires! I use 2 triple 7 magnum pellets (60 gr ea), triple 7 primer, and Hornady EZLoad 250 Gr saboted bullet. Mild recoil, accurate, and hits hard.

Even put a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40 scope on it last year! I now have Nikons on my Cross Bow, MZ, Hunting Rife, and a 223. Makes my old eyes seem young again!

I was finishing cutting up the deer carcass when one of the young boys in the neighborhood rides his bike up my driveway and asks what I'm doing? I told him I was butchering a deer … did he want to see. He said yes so I showed him the Back Strap, Shoulders, Hind Quarters, Antlers and skin. He said "That's Awesome" about a half dozen times. I think the kid likes steaks!!!

So word got out, and kids kept coming. One wanted the tail (granted), his older brother held the antlers for me when I cut them off the skull with the reciprocating saw (a lot easier than using bungie cords to hold the head on my work bench like I've done the last few times), and a girl even came over and said "I know I'm supposed to be grossed out … but I'm not"

I like this neighborhood! A lot of the kids have more guts than the parents!

Do you do any calling or rattling? Maybe to late for that up norf. Not much sign here for as late as it is. Maybe a late rut this year. One of my produce customers stopped today . He had a doe bring a buck by his stand and shot it. Ran a few yards and was getting ready to lay down and a monster buck came in and gored it in the side and it ran off. He never found the one he shot.

Hot soapy water works very good . I even use it for Pyrodex powder.
Got some nice ones with muzzle loaders both 50and 54Cal. patched ball.
One Shot One Kill.. Muzzle loader and Bow hunting is an up close sport . Shooting a dear at long yardage is marksmanship not true hunting.
Just watched a show on the PA/KY longrifle. It was probably the gun that helped us win the revolution as they could plink redcoats out to 300 yards vs the brits guns that were poor at 75 yards. It was the main tool of the settlers as it meant eat or starve so it had to be accurate.

The flintlocks and side locks are cool but if all you want to do is take advantage of the primitive weapons season, get an inline muzzleloader. They are so much easier to clean.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
our season is split on blackpowder. Early anything goes . Late season after Christmas is flintlock only.

My advice Matt, for a hunting MZ, get something that uses a shotgun primer and has a stainless barrel … you will be a lot happier.

I've taken 5 deer that I can thing of with my CVA Accura (with the Bergara barrel). Nice shooter and never mis fires! I use 2 triple 7 magnum pellets (60 gr ea), triple 7 primer, and Hornady EZLoad 250 Gr saboted bullet. Mild recoil, accurate, and hits hard.

Even put a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40 scope on it last year! I now have Nikons on my Cross Bow, MZ, Hunting Rife, and a 223. Makes my old eyes seem young again!
That’s cool. In MN you can’t use a scope on a ML unless it’s during regular rifle season.

I built a MZ, I liked it, it has not been out of my gun cabinet for about a decade.

NY allows in line and scopes, so it is the way to go for hunting. Also, the stainless stuff holds up so much better if you are away on a trip and can't clean it immediately (or if you choose to take care of your game animal first). If you are looking for a hunting rifle, and not a play toy, get what is most reliable.

Bow season allows Cross Bows after 11/2, and they are also much more effective.

The primitive stuff is cool, but if you want a clean kill … go with the best thing they allow.

Years ago I was in the Adirondacks, they had just allowed MZs in the early season, but I didn't have one so I used my bow. A 10 pt buck stopped broadside 30 yds from me in a stand of new growth Hemlock. My arrow impaled a 1/2" tree that bent over and may have touched the buck. If I had a MZ, that deer was mine. I've never taken a 10 pt.

Like my Uncle once told me, when you see the buck of your dreams at 150 yds away, you don't want to be one of those guys who choose to use a hand gun! (the big bore revolvers were the fad back then, not the single shot pistols).

Back