Pioneer or Homelite decisions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lutty440

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm doing a trade today with a guy from NB, I'm from PEI, so no turning back... Long story short, I'm trading a box of a blown up 076AV with a 30inch bar and two chains for a 357 Husqvarna, and one of the following, 650 Pionneer 103cc, 82cc Pioneer, (did not specify), homelite 550 85cc, homelite 77cc, ( did not specify). I can't go so my father is meeting the man at 12 noon today. obviously condition aside, what saw would you pick?

All things being equal I would go for the Homelite. I believe it would be easier to get parts for.

As long as that 550 is in good shape I would probably lean that way...but the 103cc Pioneer is interesting as well. I do not know enough about Pioneers to comment to that. I would bet Jerry @pioneerguy600 could help you.

Those 77 cc Homelite could be a $25 C-5 or a much more valuable XL-??? model so would definitely need more info.

As long as that 550 is in good shape I would probably lean that way...but the 103cc Pioneer is interesting as well. I do not know enough about Pioneers to comment to that. I would bet Jerry @pioneerguy600 could help you.

Those 77 cc Homelite could be a $25 C-5 or a much more valuable XL-??? model so would definitely need more info.
Actually the 85 cc was a C9, and the 77cc was a XL 902 so we got that. thanks for your input, helped immensley

I have a 902, great running saw with good power, manual and auto oiler but no decompression button.
The 600 pioneer series are heavy and underpowered by today's standards but very reliable.
If the 82cc pioneer is a p- series in good shape, jump on it.

I have a 902, great running saw with good power, manual and auto oiler but no decompression button.
The 600 pioneer series are heavy and underpowered by today's standards but very reliable.
If the 82cc pioneer is a p- series in good shape, jump on it.

So I got the 902, but the air filter cover seems ... broken?

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 9
I would buy all of them!!!! Lol

I wanted to aswell, might go back when I get my lumber delivered. Here's what I got for the blown up 076 AV and a 30 inch bar plus two chains...

Attachments

• two.jpg
    two.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 14
  • 902s.jpg
    902s.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 920.jpg
    920.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 357.jpg
    357.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 357x.jpg
    357x.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 12
Is there not supposed to be a Square metal liner connected to all the little studs? Idno, just asking, only came accross tese saws yesterday, know very little about them
That air box cover is fine. The posts press down on the plastic frame of the filter to seal it against the inside lip of the air box. If there was a continuous rim on the cover, it would not be able to draw air (between the posts) as well. It is the design. XL-902/922's are Canadian market only 77 cc machines. Stout. On a side note, an additional piece of stiff craft felt laid over the original filter really helps to seal, and provide better filtration.

Right, that's the way the filter cover is, it's exactly the same on my 902. Some replacement tops for the 925 actually have a complete solid piece running around the bottom of the little studs to help give a better seal. The 902 had the old style like ours, newer style replacement filters actually have a metal border to help with this. Just had to order a new filter for mine, the old one had a brittle, cracked and warped plastic border on it. My replacement is NOS with the soft plastic border, it it gives me problems I will mod my cover with some stiffeners like the one in the video.

Got it here, https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/store/p8335/NOS_Homelite_VI-955,_XL-700,__XL-850,_XL-901,_XL-923,_XL-925_Chainsaw_Air_Filter_A-69305-A.html
will let you know if it fits properly when it comes. These sites might be worth checking out.
http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/
https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/blog/house-of-homelite

Is there a tag on the 902 ? Looks like a 902 starter on a 922 . Here's a few variations 902 am and super xl 902
18f05d8bc91d190d5f0cab43c956424b.jpg
90e966586ca3d3ae2bf8fa85ab8556be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

IMG_20191122_112559.jpg My NOS air filter arrived from Leon's, it fits my 902. However, the replacement rubber grommet is on the thick side and gives some difficulty with tightening the cover. I smeared a bit of Vaseline on it to remove the friction and it tightened down properly.
The edges are quite soft, and if I find it isn't sealing properly I will cut vertical slots in the posts on the top cover and inset some vertical plates to make a continuous border.

Attachments

• IMG_20191122_112513.jpg
    IMG_20191122_112513.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back