Homelite and Pioneer heirlooms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I took inventory of my family's old saws today.

I'm curious about granddad's old blue Homey. All it says on it is "Super XL". The address is in New York. I looked on Mike Acres' site and it said the Super XL was a red 57cc discontinued in 1968. Dad thinks grandpa bought it in the early 1960's. It has a surprisingly nice 20" bar with safe-t tip on it, but that could have been a replacement bar from the 1970's. With all the firewood that grandpa cut with this saw, I don't think it's possible for the original bar to still say HOMELITE in big red letters. Is the saw at this link the saw I described above?

My dad's first saw (Pioneer 1073 bought in the early 1970's for $115) was in the barn in its fitted plastic Pioneer suitcase. The suitcase was filled with mouse nest. Seems to have compression, I think I may be able to get it running by Fathers' Day. Don't want to do much with it before I clean it up and make sure the intake and exhaust are free of mouse mess.
Most of the paint is gone from the front of the saw from rubbing on logs, paint is gone from the original 16" bar, and the drive sprocket is grooved, but I think it could be made usable with a little carb work, assuming it still has spark. This saw has a lot of hours on it. It was used to cut fireplace wood until 1975, then it cut wood to heat the house from 1975 to around 1990.

Last and least, we have a red plastic Homey XL, warranty papers were printed February 1990, so I assume it the early 26cc version. Dad bought this at ABC Warehouse when the Pioneer quit on him. 16" bar seems too much for such a little saw. Is this saw worth using for pruning? It's light and has a combination top/rear handle, but I don't see how to use the top handle and work the throttle at the same time. With the light weight and safe-t tip, it seems like it would be handy for overhead use, but it sure looks cheap.

Then there's the first saw I ever owned, an old Clinton powerhead that I bought at a farm auction when I was about 12 and wanted to make a go-kart. I think it might be a D-5, but I haven't seen it in 20 years and can't say for sure. When I got it, it ran on premix dumped down the carb throat. I didn't rebuild the carb because the kart project never got off the ground. No memories attached to this saw, except for the weekend I messed with it when I bought it, but from what I can remember it was an interesting saw and might be fun to get it running again. It's in a friend's barn. He had some storm damage today so I'll try to remember to collect the Clinton when I go over there to cut up his downed weeping willow.

Re Pioneer 1073, give it a good cleaning and check all your fuel lines including the part in the tank. They tend to go soft with age if they have been sitting for a long time. Take the carb apart, clean it and put in a new kit. Make sure the fuel tank is clean and that any gas in there has not turned to varnish. If you don't have spark you might have to take the flywheel off and clean the points. Other than that if the piston and rings are ok, you should be able to get it running.

Latest posts

Back