McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a recommendation on a break in procedure for a NOS 10-10? I recall seeing someone mention it either on here or on "McCulloch Chainsaw North America" group on Facebook but couldn't remember the steps.

IMO, start it, run it up to temp, then just use like it was meant to be used.
The worst thing you can do to a new engine of any shape or size is constants. Meaning constant load, be it light or heavy, or constant RPM, be it low or high.
The way that a saw is naturally run lends itself well to a good break in as long as you are not starting it for the first time and burying it bar deep. Running like normal with varying load and varying RPM.

I usually run them up to temp and let them cool, then run them up again and after that I just let them go. Use them like normal. On most saws I will start them on 32:1 mix just to ensure they are well lubed. I just put enough to run them up to temp, then pour the 32:1 out and put in 40:1. On the 32:1 I just rough tune the carb and then once I get it on the 40:1 I dial in the carb. Then you should be good to go. Run it normally.

Brian

You may want to rethink that done part.

You're right, of course. LOL I just need to be a bit more refined in my acquisitions -- being on a fixed retirement income these days. Can't be as random as I used to be. Have my eye on a PM60 as I type but it's a 3 hour round trip and probably won't last the weekend. Need to start fixing up and selling some of the rather obvious clutter to justify spending very much on anything else, though. 10 series Macs are usually the exception when the price is right.

I have finally been able to shut the impulse buy off on saws that don't get me pumped up. I have a friend who pulls saws from a dump up north which I can't keep up with. He has a Pioneer Partner 5000 waiting for me. I sure hope that doesn't have a scorched P&C which seems to be common in that line of saws. I did fix up a 500 which I gave to a friend and it was very peppy and nice and light.

Haha an inside man Tim dumps are great for old saws

Poge what's ya favorite color saw? Do ya have a soft spot (or hard spot) for all the brands?

I'm trying to stick with Mac's and especially 10 series stuff because I can properly cut wood like a new saw and they all have common parts. Will not say no to more poulan's and wouldn't mind a homelite but have turned a few XL12s down though.

I'm thinking of making a sign and putting it out on the highway but I see two problems.. . .. I'm going to wind up with dozens of mini Mac's 310s 610s and other nasty plastic Mac's and the other problem is the wife will see the sign hahaha

I keep fixing them and I thin the heard by giving them away to people I know will appreciate them , I'm up to 5 saws this year only 2 were McCulloch's one 10-10A and a 10-10s .
I figure if I make room for bigger saws they'll come ,and the good lord only blessed me with 2 arms and so many years so I can let a few go that I was satisfied with.

Poge what's ya favorite color saw?

I appreciate all cool saws.

I'm obviously quite partial to the Macs for many reasons and don't actively look for anything else these days acquisition-wise. That said, and truth be told, I do have a stable of Stihls and Huskys for most of the heavy lifting when it comes to my firewood needs. They're simply easier to use for me with significantly better fuel economy than my Macs. Easier to fill. Easier to swap chains. Smoother to run. Get the job done. Stihl 044 is probably my favorite with a Husky 371xp next in line. 288xp is a dream to run as is my 390. My old 066 flat top is just a beast. They all have their place.

The Macs are more fun with a favorite 10-10 and my PM800 seeing the most activity there. My SP81 still has an ignition bug I'll get to one of these days and I'm sure it will see quite a bit of action when it finally gets straightened out. The PM700's usually sit in favor of my 044 or 371xp. They need gone through to get up to speed and it's all about finding the time for em. The Mini's all need something or other too..., mostly carb work. Need to find more time for those as well. Then there are the old large framers... Need more work space for everything. Need more time for that.

One o' these days...

They are thirsty saws that's for sure oil and fuel to me modern saws seem tight fisted on the oil.

I thought you figured out the sp81?

Yeah you make good points about the chain swapping I have it down packed now but yeah the rigid saws are tricky over the clutch unless you learn the trick (as we all know) I prefer to just file it instead of switching.

Interesting you mention the 288 really want me 1 of those it will be hard to buy 1 instead of parts for a mac but think in the long run it's a good idea for preserving my 800 and it seems the 288 is a good mix of old school cool with modernness too. Hell any 266/68/72 would be nice and are cheap down here 200 nz buys a 268 or 61 convert 4 to 700 buys a decent 288 so bang for buck is dam good.

I hope you find yourself a 7-10 one day you might pick that up more often there nice and light even the short braked cover is very light. The 7-10 I'll use all day happily and I'm not a big person at all the 700 too but is a little heavier

Love the one O these days. Those days are hard to come by sometimes. It's funny how you retired guys all say yeah I'm retired now and never been busyer.

I hope to make it there 1 day and glad you fellows have made it

I thought you figured out the sp81?

Good memory.

My last points cleaning and gap adjustment did make a huge difference but it still isn't dialed in like I think it should be. Maybe I'm expecting too much? It came with a chip (and broken crank) but I converted back for originality when I rebuilt it.

Good memory.

My last points cleaning and gap adjustment did make a huge difference but it still isn't dialed in like I think it should be. Maybe I'm expecting too much? It came with a chip (and broken crank) but I converted back for originality when I rebuilt it.

Don't ask me about points lol my points saws run and I'm not touching them haha. The 1 that didn't got aszholed out :)

Does it need to be original? Vinny swears by the chips

Now now, dont bring me into an originality arguement..lol. im just kidding.
Yes i use them when the points go bad or are being picky. Ive not had bad luck with them. I do believe they work well for me when i put them in. Ive used them in several cases. Had one one time that just wouldnt idle right but ran full squirt and under load great. Replaced the points with a chip and my idle problem was gone.....just saying it worked for me. It also eliminated carb issues for that saw too. I tried swapping, rebuilding etc to no avail. Air leaks were checked, i was down to my last thought, put a chip in it off another just to see as a last resort and it ran great. I am not a purist to the nth degree. I love originality but why not if it helps. Ive got 2 sp81s. One is all original the other is not. The elec. Chip one runs better in my opinion. Not trying to start anything but for me it runs better with electronic chip. Starts easier, idles better, runs great. Worth a try for 13.00 bucks.

Just 2 of my Mac's have the Nova II chips - the 1-80 has one installed by a previous owner,my 125C I installed one in 2014.Both run flawlessly,the 125C even after sitting 2-3 months or more will usually fire on 1st pull,is running on 2nd.Compression so good I have to hold the decomp button in the same time pulling the rope - quite often will pop with half a pull,will snap my wrist if that isn't done. Definitely no complaints here.

Anyone know what this might be from?
20191129_132910.jpg
It was on trade me cheap saw it was 3/8 so grabbed it. Gets here and it has a huge bar slot in it??? Not to worry made a S spacer in 37.5 seconds and its good to go but what the hell is it off? There's another on there too perhaps I should grab. Its only laminated but doesn't worry me on my not used alot saws

Back