Replacements for damaged limiter caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDee

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have several saws with damaged slots in the limiter caps on the carb adjustment screws. The damage occurred before the tabs were removed. I know I can go without the caps, but then it is harder for me to find the slot. So I am looking for a simple alternative cap that will allow adjustment with a standard screwdriver. Any suggestions? Thanks. Don

Unfortunately, I removed and discarded the caps on the saw that inspired the question, but I do have others almost as bad so I will try to get a photo.

I am thinking a short length of aluminum tubing forced over the splines on the screw, and a bit of deformation and slotting on the outer end might do the trick.

I pull them off anyway, sometimes they can’t be tuned right with them on, I take a Dremel to the slots to use a bigger screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just wondering this myself. Have an 044 and the limited caps are mangled I got them out but no point putting them back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends on the saw brand and model as to what kind of Limiter caps they are. My husky uses a spring loaded sleeve that you push down and the tool then engages the splines to adjust the carb screws. The Echo has plastic caps, I am assuming that is the type you have. I pulled mine and ground the tabs off the side then put them back in. Before I put them back in I enlarged the hole on the top of the limiter cap a bit with a drill so a wider screwdriver would fit and they still fit tight enough to keep the carb adjuster screw from walking out. You may be able to save the limiter caps you have by doing this.

Well, you need to let us know what model saw you have.
This one is a Husqv 357:

DSC00461[1].JPG
It runs so well that I feel compelled to tweak it almost every time I use it, not that it gets much better, but I just have to try.

Here's a similar carb that is out of another one that is just getting put together:
DSC00459[1].JPG

On the Husqv 55s with Zamas, the splined screwdriver will work when the caps are off, but I would prefer to have a slot. On everything really.

DSC00456[1].JPG

I took some of the ice maker tubing and slid over the splines and did away with my screwdriver. I mark the top when I start an adjustment.

I took some of the ice maker tubing and slid over the splines and did away with my screwdriver. I mark the top when I start an adjustment.
Do you leave the tubing in place and turn it by finger? Some of my older saws had knurled external screws for idle adjust, and even some of the newer Echo 8000s. I like that.

Depends on the saw brand and model as to what kind of Limiter caps they are. My husky uses a spring loaded sleeve that you push down and the tool then engages the splines to adjust the carb screws. The Echo has plastic caps, I am assuming that is the type you have. I pulled mine and ground the tabs off the side then put them back in. Before I put them back in I enlarged the hole on the top of the limiter cap a bit with a drill so a wider screwdriver would fit and they still fit tight enough to keep the carb adjuster screw from walking out. You may be able to save the limiter caps you have by doing this.

Yes it is the clunky plastic caps with the wings that have to be amputated.

I just leave it there. I only use one and move it if I need to change from Hi to Lo or Idle

Have ya thought of getting the splined screw diver adjustment tool, easier that a regular screw driver to adjust the carb and will stay attached to the needles.

Steve Sidwell
I had the tubing just sitting there. I don't know what I'M doing and that happened to work so I stayed with it:dumb:

Latest posts

Back