Why I love a 50cc saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true, however every saw has its application. I’d be using an 088 if I had the wood.
If I’m gonna pack around a saw for 6 hrs cutting glorified saplings I was want the fastest, lightest saw I can get my hands on.
Picked up a 543 xp this yr. Nice and light , daughter loves it for a kindling cutting saw , mostly cedar and white birch .

Hell yeah! I use 50cc saws that will out cut most 60cc & some 70s'.:cool:
Yeah pretty much , my 346 xp , 5105H & even the old P-20 handle their share of the felling , bucking & limbing . Only out of necessity do I fire up the 576 xp , often due to knarly blowdowns and such !

So what are your largest diameter trees? I like a 550xp, but for 24" and larger, grab a 70 or 90cc.

346/350/550 all the way. 24" is a tad large, but you can always shave an inch or two off each side, square it up, and go to town on it. I agree with you, though, that it is best to grab the larger motor/bar.

Our crew runs 346's almost exclusively (except for me cause I don't have one :(). It's rare the boss man goes to get his 371 outta the truck. Mixed wood all day long (fir/pine/tanoak/liveoak/madrone/pepperwood/etc.) up to 24".....346 w/ a 20" gets the job done.

I'd like a 550xp MkII, they look really solid. However, I won't be buying one as I have a 562xp and it's more jam for only about a pound heavier. 562 is my landing saw.

I also agree here. The MKII is too much weight. A pound heavier than its predecessor, and ~two pounds heavier than a 346/350. I'll stick to the 562 unless an MKII falls into my lap.

346/350/550 all the way. 24" is a tad large, but you can always shave an inch or two off each side, square it up, and go to town on it. I agree with you, though, that it is best to grab the larger motor/bar.

Our crew runs 346's almost exclusively (except for me cause I don't have one :(). It's rare the boss man goes to get his 371 outta the truck. Mixed wood all day long (fir/pine/tanoak/liveoak/madrone/pepperwood/etc.) up to 24".....346 w/ a 20" gets the job done.

I also agree here. The MKII is too much weight. A pound heavier than its predecessor, and ~two pounds heavier than a 346/350. I'll stick to the 562 unless an MKII falls into my lap.
Have you ran a 550mk2 yet?
That's one old school crew running 346's and a 371 :).
You'd be surprised at how much more efficient the 550mk2 is in all around cutting performance compared to the 346. If the weight is an issue just get a lightweight bar and only fill the tank 2/3, you'll still cut faster and probably fill it less often, and when you do you get to use those sweet husky flippy caps.

With no snow I'm able to take advantage of getting down into the woods with the Ranger and quad. Have a lot of tops left from logging our woods years ago. As long as the bark is off, the wood dries and is super hard stuff. Don't need big saws for this. The 50's get it done nicely.
2467a4949324badf55a15262a21f24d7.jpg
08380618a363f2b9975660e1476e9cdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

With no snow I'm able to take advantage of getting down into the woods with the Ranger and quad. Have a lot of tops left from logging our woods years ago. As long as the bark is off, the wood dries and is super hard stuff. Don't need big saws for this. The 50's get it done nicely.
2467a4949324badf55a15262a21f24d7.jpg
08380618a363f2b9975660e1476e9cdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
That's some great looking wood. I call it snob wood, I always hate to sell that stuff, goes right into my personal piles :sweet:.

Big differences in prices between European countries, new stihl MS261 including 25% tax from stihl dealer 600€. That Echo around 500€.
Prices are indeed different, but the ratio seems to be always about 65-75%.

What Europian country do you mean? In Finland I see 800€ and 525€
https://www.stihl.fi/STIHL-tuotteet/Moottori-ja-oksasahat/Moottorisahat-ammattikäyttöön/22798-131/ms-261-c-m.aspx
https://siemenjakone.com/fi/tuote/m...torisahat/CS-501SX/echo-cs-501sx-moottorisaha

No replacement for displacement!
Guys would say that back I'm the day and I'd laugh, better power to weight would smoke their displacement, little did they know I was on a gsxr 750.
Traction/gearing is something else that's very important, similarly saws running the wrong rim for their saw or a chain sharpened improperly or worse yet not sharpened, can make or break how well they do. A nice well sharpened/tuned chain can make a slow saw look okay, and a good running saw look great.
Stock 346 with an 18x325.

Latest posts

Back