Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a potentially interesting couple of days ahead. Hot dry conditions up to 40°C today but very little wind. Saturday though will be a different animal, 43°C with strong NW winds (the bad direction in other words). There are some fires near us as the crow flies...15-20km but to the S and SW of us so they won't affect us here though plenty of people there will be. We don't have fires going at the moment that are likely to impact us. The issue could be dry thunderstorms that are forecast for tomorrow afternoon for the ranges (us) that could start something very close by. Our home is not defendable if a fire front comes through since it is made of cedar so we will take our more valuable possessions - chainsaws, wife, kids, cat, cricket bat, laptop etc - down to the lake when the storms start to form up on radar and before they arrive.

It's hard to believe that a month ago there was fresh snow on the hills.

We have a potentially interesting couple of days ahead. Hot dry conditions up to 40°C today but very little wind. Saturday though will be a different animal, 43°C with strong NW winds (the bad direction in other words). There are some fires near us as the crow flies...15-20km but to the S and SW of us so they won't affect us here though plenty of people there will be. We don't have fires going at the moment that are likely to impact us. The issue could be dry thunderstorms that are forecast for tomorrow afternoon for the ranges (us) that could start something very close by. Our home is not defendable if a fire front comes through since it is made of cedar so we will take our more valuable possessions - chainsaws, wife, kids, cat, cricket bat, laptop etc - down to the lake when the storms start to form up on radar and before they arrive.

Good luck.

Definitely making the right decision there Cowboy, stuff the house get down to the lake.
The only exception is I would leave the cricket bat behind, it will save you many future hours of standing around in the heat watching the grass grow if it went up in flames.;)

Why crane that tree out? a cimber ringing it down is cheaper surely? and (unless its black walnut and highly valuable) the timber in the trunk won't recoup the cost either. Confused.
It's all money, safety and time. A good crane operator can take a whole top, pick it up, and set it out in the street or side yard in minutes. It would take a climber hours to rope stuff down over gardens, gutters, and windows, in little pieces. This is an old pic but the operator got on the job, set up, had the tree on the ground and was gone in less than 4 hours.
1T3cgTJ.jpg

ur1BHkn.jpg

You can. Last time I rented a 50 ton crane it was $814 for 4 hours.
With the operator? How long ago? Lot of regs on mobile cranes.

Was at the dead Ash Hole today.
I like a clean Ash Hole . . . thanks for your efforts!

Why crane that tree out? . . . Confused.
My photos don't tell the whole story. There were several houses, a few garages, a fence, lots of utility wires, . . . Oh, and the tree (very large silver maple with huge crown) was being removed because it had rot and was dropping large limbs, so climbing parts of it had risk. Just getting the final trunk sections out of the yard was a challenge. A crane was the right way to go (glad I did not have to pay for it though).

Philbert

big brother getting his cut, what’d you think it was?? The government can’t ever tax the working man enough....

I get that part. But seriously.... next they are going to tax us with each toilet flush.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back