Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy New Year’s boys!

2000 was a long time ago for me. I graduated High School in 1999 so the party for 2000 was epic and a LONG time ago.

Uncle Mike, I’ll bet you - Loser does the dishes, your quad isn’t gonna do that cherry tree!
(I have nothing to loose boys, I already do them).

Uncle Mike, maybe one weekend in January we can get up there and do some Grouse Hunting

Very bad fire conditions yesterday, from the pictures on the news I’m surprised so few people were killed.
Good to hear your family is all safe.

Here's the current situation from the driveway down there. It's not overcast/cloudy, just the smoke blocking out the sky. Electrickery was out for two days but came back on a couple of hours ago. No immediate threat now - and in any case they reckon there's not much left to burn almost to the edge of town.

1st Jan 1.jpg

They didn't take pics the other day because it essentially looked like night-time...at 4pm. And of course, they had bigger problems to worry about at that point.

Wasn't able to do any cutting today but stayed warm none the less!
e227f2ae564725447d5b6db9c5462e2d.jpg
d4533fae01fd88063df967b0b1ef4758.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

After nearly two weeks of well above average temps we are back to real winter. It’s 3 above right now although not supposed to get much colder overnight.

I’m fixing to do some cutting with the Poulan tomorrow so I put it on the floor in the sauna. It seems to start pretty good in cold weather but it’s hard on the saw especially the oil pump so I like them a bit warmer if possible.

I burned a lot of aspen during the warmer days and plan to cut another half cord or so tomorrow. That should get me through close to another week then I’ve got two more trees to haul in with the snowmobile and sleigh.

Stopped at Brett’s (chipper1) house this morning to pick up my new Johnsered 2166.

All I can say is, what a great guy! He welcomed me into his home and we had a nice talk. He was very helpful by showing me some things he has learned over the years and I GREATLY appreciate it!

Thank you Brett for the great deal on the saw and being so kind!

Im still new at this and am ALWAYS willing to listen and learn.

Here she is!

Ill do the simple mod to change it to a 2172 (372) and then run it fir a while. He mentioned something about some divider or something on the intake that he also does a modification on but I forgot to ask him about it.
6b6a87004616ebb149c3208e29a535d2.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Thanks man :).
It was great meeting you.
Now that I know you live in my path of travels in sure we'll hang again soon.
The kids enjoyed the trinkets, thanks again.
Nice saw. Brett is a stand up guy and knows some stuff. Have fun cuttin.
Thanks Steve.
Brett... Brett... Brett.. Ahh he's so nice...

Bull sheet! Brett's a dink. :)

Merry Christmas Chipper :)
Thanks lol.
Merry Christmas, sorry its a little late lol, got bumped out of the thread again.

View attachment 784408 Where about a do you live Cowboy? It looks like there is no escape if you live near the shore...

1st Jan 4.jpg

Heh, my writing with a mouse looks like a 5 year old's. We're NE of Melbourne, my parents are due east of Melbourne.

The state emergency website shows the extent of the fires, the blacked out areas show where the firestorm got to. My parents are in a town called Orbost, you can zoom in to see how close it got with the hot dry NNW wind behind it before the cool southerly change. They were perhaps 10 minutes from having a very serious problem.

http://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/?=&bbox=146.58233642578125,-38.14103736644329,149.71343994140622,-36.85544993613649&tm=1577862160230#

For scale, the coastal town of Marlo (where we do much of our fishing) is 15 kms south of Orbost. Close enough!

Back