Is there danger in running out of fuel WOT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was always taught not to run one out of fuel. As in...if you're not doing anything else, gas it up. If you're in the back cut on a big tree and you're almost sawed up and you run out of gas things might get real interesting real fast.

And running a saw out of gas every time? Every darn time? No.

I do a lot of bucking and limbing...as soon as the saw starts to bog or idle high ..I shut it down ...if I'm felling trees I always fuel before starting ...for safety reasons ...I've never had a saw take more than 2-3 pulls to start after refueling since we give them full choke until it fires.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Quite interesting the amount of thought, not to mention physics is involved in the running out of fuel scenario. I never even gave it a second thought as to what could happen if I were to scream my way through a fat log while running out of fuel.
Personally as soon as I hear the change in the engine I shut it down. I do that with everything. My saw will restart usually on the second pull and my woodsplitter on the first. If I run them all the way out it's harder to start. In comparison when your done mowing the lawn on your big fat John Deere riding mower do you just kill the engine at full throttle or do you idle it down and let it putter for a few moments before killing it.
Taking care of your equipment involves more common sense than science if you ask me.
:bang:

i did my first cuts with my 5105 2 days ago
Question: why does the saw start at half throttle? As far as I know Husqy and Stihl start with idling speed so you don't have to accelerate to switch to idling. Do you know of a practical reason for this, or was is simpler for Dolmar to make the starting procedure like this. Also when I first started it I forgot to go from "off" trough "on" to "choke" and back to "on" again; I've just switched from "off" to "on" and the saw started at idling speed, so why does the manual say you have to go all the way to "choke" position and back if it can start simpler?

You guys are arguing with Stihl mechanics and saw builders. They said it's not a good idea. They get paid to build and fix saws. Running a saw out of gas at idle before storage is ok. Racing it at wide open throttle till it dies is not ok. I will take them at their word. They know what they are talking about.
I definitely don't trust Stihl engineers and mechanics just like I don't trust politicians. Stihl employees are more interested in s'ing the EPA's d than much else. All the new Stihl saws I've run run like trash in real world work because they're so choked up. If the geniuses at Stihl were so great, people wouldn't be doing port jobs on their saws. Sure, they make a saw that runs, but it doesn't run at the performance level it should because politics.

Back