Is there danger in running out of fuel WOT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, for combustion you need air, fuel, and ignition. Take one of those factors out and an engine will not run. When you are WOT and you start running out of gas the engine will sputer and slow as your fuel supply decreases. This will not cause damage to the internals. The only issue with would be if you have sludge build up in the bottom of your fuel tank but if you run your tank dry on a regular basis and change your fuel filter this should not be a problem.

I was wondering if there was any kind of danger of leaning out to the point of seizure or scoring if you're running out of fuel while WOT. Just a thought.
The fuel-mix for a 2-stroke is also the ONLY lubricant. My advice is to not make a habit of this.

I try to make a habit of never running a saw out of fuel. Plus stopping to refuel often gives this worn out dude a break.:)

Got an old two stroke mower than dad bought new in 1978,been run dry every time he finnish mowing before putting it away,now thats every weekend since 1978,still going strong

I always try to avoid it. It runs lean before it quits. That's why it revs up before dying. I knew of a 2-stroke quad that seized once when it ran out of fuel. I'd say it's possible, but not likely, so best to avoid it.

I believe Stihl recommends letting the saw idle for a minute or two prior to shutting down after running for extended periods to protect against overheating sensitve components(electronics). A tank of gas run empty would be extended period I would think.
Just my .02

Got an old two stroke mower than dad bought new in 1978,been run dry every time he finnish mowing before putting it away,now thats every weekend since 1978,still going strong
they don't make things like they used to tho..

LOL, that is classic. I have an uncle that smokes 2 packs a day. He is 88 years old and his lung feels great. I can only guess you are talking about a Lawn-Boy mower built by OMC. Yes,... very tough and solid machine, magnesium deck even! At any rate, running a 2-stroke out of gas under load is like skiing into your gravel driveway after a nice day of playing in the snow.

Last edited:
Got an old two stroke mower than dad bought new in 1978,been run dry every time he finished mowing before putting it away,now that's every weekend since 1978,still going strong
Yes..but it's better to dump gas mix and let it IDLE until dry...rather than WOT..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I always seem to know when my saws are running low,they behave differently and usually enough left to tick over for a bit

I tell all my guys to try to not run them dry, you can usually tell when a saw is very low, they'll burble, run a little rougher just before the lean phase of running out. I've had saws run out many times, never hurt one, but I also think about them sucking more crap in the filter, I'd rather stop at 1/4 tank and fill them then run them out.

they don't make things like they used to tho..
Thats for sure

LOL, that is classic. I have an uncle that smokes 2 packs a day. He is 88 years old and his lung feels great. I can only guess you are talking about a Lawn-Boy mower built by OMC. Yes,... very tough and solid machine, magnesium deck even! At any rate, running a 2-stroke out of gas under load is like skiing into your gravel driveway after a nice day of playing in the snow.
Old victa 160(Aussie mower) and yeah i would avoid it if possible with my saws

Yes..but it's better to dump gas mix and let it IDLE until dry...rather than WOT..!!

:cheers:
J2F

i havent found a reason to run my saws dry yet..........not purposely,you guys in the cold areas might have to

I always try to avoid it. It runs lean before it quits. That's why it revs up before dying. I knew of a 2-stroke quad that seized once when it ran out of fuel. I'd say it's possible, but not likely, so best to avoid it.

I'd say progressively increasing damage is probable on a saw that already may have other issues causing it to be running on the edge of a too lean condition or is already damaged in other areas in the first place (as in a bad/worn piston needle bearing that is already white hot, e.g.). Leaning it out further running outta fuel at WOT sure as hell isn't gonna help. Neither is "running it dry" to keep all those spooky gremlins outta the fuel tank between usage.

Funny how I got piled on with crap for basically asking the same question relative to defining the specifics of "lean" and its' various causes/conditions a coupla years ago when I just signed up and was simply eager to learn. (I've learned a lot since,
including to like Fish -- in a sort of "my tackle box is talking to me" kinda way.)

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/127810.htm

(Despite the hazing, there is some good info spread throughout the thread.)

Glad to see the subject has been given some"Simonized" credibility in this one.

And as a side-shoot to the running-it-dry method, there is a whole other school of thought (including some Harley guys I know) that says top it off and don't forget the StaBil or SeaFoam. If there ain't no extree space in the system/tank, ain't no new water gonna get absorbed from the air that isn't already present in the "stabilized" ethanol/mix for a period of storage.

(Not possible for the water to separate from a stabilized mix in a topped off tank is the concept, there.)

But what is the true definition of "lean" and what are the various conditions that cause it?

LEAN, BROTHER! LEAN!

Nevermind. It just came to me in a vision as I was sittin' here whittlin' on my slightly shorter left wooden leg tryin' to make it as long as my right one...

Ok. I'll go now.

Poge

Last edited:
No, for combustion you need air, fuel, and ignition. Take one of those factors out and an engine will not run. When you are WOT and you start running out of gas the engine will sputer and slow as your fuel supply decreases. This will not cause damage to the internals. The only issue with would be if you have sludge build up in the bottom of your fuel tank but if you run your tank dry on a regular basis and change your fuel filter this should not be a problem.

HUH????

Whatcha smokin?

I cannot believe I am reading this ****!!

When your saw races in the high rpms from running out of fuel, it is from running lean, and since the mixture is getting lean, the lubrication
is getting much leaner, since the oil is in the mix, and the piston exponentially gets hotter, and damage will likely result.

Listen to these guys at your peril!

Damn, I need to move on....

Back