Open or closed port ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
open or closed port is one better than the other?

My husky 350 the orginal bore has a open port cylinder. I purchased a 45mm big bore kit(353) for it. It’s a closed port with removable side covers on the transfers. I’m going to mill the excess material in the transfers and the cylinder base. Then dremmel and polish it all smooth. I see some square corners in the base need to be chamfered or rounded. Lots of work in the closed transfers needs to be done. The intake mods and muffler mods work together. Pics to follow.

I don't grind out those dividers in the base the cyl. sits on, in fact I fill that area in with jb weld. If you look at it you can see it is just a big void which does nothing to create a smooth flow of fuel, I do grind it to match at the cyl.
I have pics in my fone, I'll post from it.

I don't grind out those dividers in the base the cyl. sits on, in fact I fill that area in with jb weld. If you look at it you can see it is just a big void which does nothing to create a smooth flow of fuel, I do grind it to match at the cyl.
I have pics in my fone, I'll post from it.

I can see why one would remove them for a 346 but like that idea for the 353 cyl. Along with smoothing the flow, it will decrease the case volume some, which is increased when removing the material under the transfers. Right?

I can see why one would remove them for a 346 but like that idea for the 353 cyl. Along with smoothing the flow, it will decrease the case volume some, which is increased when removing the material under the transfers. Right?
That is my theory, actually I believe one of the top builders has done this long ago.
I also have the top of the block machined to get squish at .020 and keep the base gasket.

I see a question, and then you lay out a plan of action. You've already bought a "big bore" so obviously you'll use it. I just don't get it...

Latest posts

Back