Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found one red head down stairs, 7 1/2 inch head and a 32" haft. It still has some of the paper label on it, but can't read anything on it. I guessed it was a True Temper.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered several handles from handle house. It was beyond time to replace them on several my hammers and the ones I purchased this last year for my hatchets are turning out to be junk. beware of the amish ones on ebay, their not dried! mine shrunk after a month and required refitting. I ordered all hand picked octagon without varnish and I must say all but one seem to be premo cuts, I left them in the house open for 2 weeks to make darn sure they are dry before fitting my tools onto them. Today I did a 16oz hammer and a true temper hatchet, the handles are much better fitting, requiring only slight sanding or slit cutting to fit the head, only 3/8 had to be cut off the top of the handle to make it flush with the tool. I ordered 7 (smaller) handles coming to a total close to 90 dollars delivered making them just a buck or two more than hardware store handles that have become bad quality. I plan to oil the handles i hang boiled lintseed oil with soot mixed in unless others have a better method to protect them from rain, oil, grease, gasoline etc.

Back