aerial truck recommendation ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the market for a bucket truck and wanted to know if there were any names to stay away from ..... ie Hi-ranger/ Teco/ aerial of conn/ , I know I'm looking for a rear mount with a short wb. I have no experience with bucket trucks I've always climbed , so therefore I'm kinda green in this area.

What things should I look for or stay away from?
Mainteance any better than other mfg ?
how many hrs on the unit ?
what certs ?

will be a used unit that i purchase. between 26 and 35k

thanks for all the help

Stone

Last edited:
I am in the market for a bucket truck and wanted to know if there were any names to stay away from ..... ie Hi-ranger/ Teco/ aerial of conn/ , I know I'm looking for a rear mount with a short wb. I have no experience with bucket trucks I've always climbed , so therefore I'm kinda green in this area.

What things should I look for or stay away from?
Mainteance any better than other mfg ?
how many hrs on the unit ?
what certs ?

will be a used unit that i purchase. between 26 and 35k

thanks for all the help

Stone

Just stay away from Harv's sales. lol

high ranger all day. rear mount = no good. unless its 75 foot+. a over center 60 foot high ranger should be suffecient

for a lot of backyard jobs i was told from other guys that rear mount units was the way to go because they will access more ?/??

The short story: he sold me a "like new, under 100 hour" stump grinder that ended up being a rental that had over 1000 hours on it and i've had to sink $3000 into it already.

Others have had similar problems.

Here's the whole thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=51769

hey thanks, i had been keeping an eye on what he had in his inventory , considering that he is local for me. Certaintly don't need the grief.

? I already have a f 350 chip truck so i really dont think i need a bucket truck w/ chip box. I was told by a guy in the biz that a rear mount would be better for me considering that a great deal of my biz is backyard work. ie shorter wb and overall smaller unit to get through the driveway to the backyard. whats your experience ?

1999 bucket

was just wanting to know if you found a bucket truck yet we have a few for sale from 18k-34k,1999,2000, 1995,55ft and two sixty footers.:greenchainsaw:

was just wanting to know if you found a bucket truck yet we have a few for sale from 18k-34k,1999,2000, 1995,55ft and two sixty footers.:greenchainsaw:

no not yet, we are probably going to hold off until next season. Send me some pics and prices ? if ya could.....

thanks

Take a look at our website!

Hey Stone,

Take a look at our website and you will find a great selection of bucket trucks, forestry units (we just got a 65' in this morning), one-tons, chippers, digger derricks, I think you get the idea! We supply quality equipment and stand by each unit! Take a look, even if you're waiting till next season. That way you are familiar with us and our inventory. Heck, you can even call to BS or shoot some comments on our sponsored forum. Let me know what you think!

BTW, if anyone has questions regarding inventory, feel free to send me an email or call! Best of luck to everyone and stay safe!

http://www.skycoequipment.com/usedtrucks.htm

Hey Stone,

Take a look at our website and you will find a great selection of bucket trucks, forestry units (we just got a 65' in this morning), one-tons, chippers, digger derricks, I think you get the idea! We supply quality equipment and stand by each unit! Take a look, even if you're waiting till next season. That way you are familiar with us and our inventory. Heck, you can even call to BS or shoot some comments on our sponsored forum. Let me know what you think!

BTW, if anyone has questions regarding inventory, feel free to send me an email or call! Best of luck to everyone and stay safe!

http://www.skycoequipment.com/usedtrucks.htm

hey thanks........
I already have viewed your site. And will certaintly consider you guys. Like the variety of equipment you guys carry. I am leaning towards a 60 to 70 footer to man bucket, w/a short wheel base and rear mount.

My opinion on the rear mount vs. forestry unit is that it depends on the work you are doing.If you do mostly removal work then a rear mount is a better way to go.If you do more pruning/line clearing/roadside work then the forestry unit is a better setup.I started with an old Baker M42 Forestry unit and the truck took a beating here and there as I seam to get mostly removal work.In 1990 I bought a Hi-Ranger 6TDI-65PBI unit that is a rear mount with 70' of working height and LOVE it!Another thing to consider is weather you want an over center unit or a non-overcenter unit.With an over center unit your max working height is straight up above the truck.A non-overcenter unit will put your max working height away from the truck.On my Hi-Ranger 70' working height is 12'-15' behind the truck.I have operated several 57' Hi-Rangers doing removals and they are super rigs too_Out of all the overcenter units I have operated I liked the Aerial Lift of Conn. units the best.I have not operated any of the newer Hi-Ranger overcenter units and can't offer an opinion on them.

Latest posts

Back