026 Harder and harder to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarethVW

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 026. It still has good compression, (150 psi) but it was getting harder and harder to start until it wouldn't start at all. I changed the spark plug and then I could get it to start but not without great effort. Even after it warms up it is still hard to start. Should I rebuild the carb? I have not had good luck with the stihl dealers in the area fixing my saws it seems that they can never get them working right.

If I have a saw that wont run and have replaced the usual stuff, I usually take a small amount of fuel and dump it down the carb. If it fires right up and quickly dies out then I instantly thinking carb rebuild and check all fuel lines for cracks.

-K5

Check to make sure the choke is closing all the way, other than that the low speed circuit in the carb might be getting clogged. Also as mentioned check the fuel and impulse line. Steve

Last edited:
I am presently troubleshooting a hard starting 026. Won't start unless I squirt a little fuel in the carb, then it runs like a champ until I shut it down. I have checked the fuel and impulse lines, fuel filter, air filter, just tanked and rebuilt the carb (welch plug too) and will replace spark plug when I have a bit of time and see if any of that has done any good. I'll post results soon.

On the 028(I'm not sure what a 026 choke looks like) the choke was in the air filter and sometimes did not close fully making the saw hard to start. Like someone said,squirt a small amount of gas in,if it starts quick,that's your problem.
Look close and see why the choke is not closing tightly and try to fix it. Even buying a new filter may fix it.

I'll wager you are right in the case of my saw trappermike. I am looking for a replacement filter because if I look closely, there is a small gap in the filter flapper while in the 'shut' position. Wondering what is a decent brand to replace it with.

That was EXACTLY the problem,the flapper would not close tightly.
If the spring on the choke flapper is not gimped and still has good tension,try carving away the obstruction that doesn't let the flapper close tight with a sharp knife.With a little work and a keen eye you can repair it and save the money of a new one.If memory serves me right some of the new ones were not much better than the defective ones,I believe you can fix it better than new,free!

Back