051ave with chain brake info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised it had a chain brake. The chain brake and the fact that it's supposed to be running and cutting did it for me. It's beat up but looked like it was all there. It looks well used which was something I liked oddly enough. I'm going to try to clean her up and give her a nice retirement life cutting every so often.

Chainbrakes were optional back then, like seatbelts. Population control.
They are not very common on that saw.
Last one I bought NOS complete was $175.00, but have seen them ask $250 for them!

They started introducing the AVE description on July 25th. 1974. There all 1111 models and the TS 50 Cutquick model 4205 got the electronic ignition system. That`s why the designation changed from AV to AVE. The introducion of the chainbrake was at the end of 1978 from serial number 5 170 371.

I think it's av eq don't know if that's the same as the ave but I know they are badged differently. Idk if I got a great deal, it was from eBay, but most 051s were going from 400 for the power head on up to 700. I could have had an 056 super with some carb issues for the same price but the chain brake got me. Something about it seemed a bit rare to me on a 70s saw. It' got a 26" bar.

Thats sort of what i thought i was buying then after I bought it o realized it was a bit newer. I wasn't looking for a saw then suddenly I was looking at like 5 of them and got someone to agree on the price I wanted. Then after that I realized what I bought lol. This is the last saw I'm buying though... hopefully

I only have 5 saws according to the wife. Well i just gave my 6th one to my dad its still sitting here actually. I was hoping to make space for the perfect one in the future and now I'm back up to 6. Lol

Never heard of a 051 with quickstop. Ive got a 051 ave. Personally i'd never run a 051 with anything less than a 28" bar unless I had to, under that size and its overkill big time. Bought mine for 450 which had been gone through, was in good shape, had a 36" cannon bar and stihl skip chain. Most good working 051s ive seen have sold for 400 or more with bar and chain. Post some pics when you get it.

I paid 300 plus 26 dollars shipping. I went over this before with bar size. Why do people under size the bar on big saws and the answer I got was because it's more fun to run them.

Back