ArboristSite.com Sponsors

066blaster - give me a shout if interested

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by bitzer, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Trail Gnome

Big trees generally give you time to set everything up how you want it. Small trees are quick and can bite you.

bitzer and treeslayer2003 like this.
  2. 066blaster

066blaster Addicted to ArboristSite

How small of tree are you referring to? And are you referring to trees bent over from a tree dropped on them. I am aware of the dangers . Are you saying you were less safe on the first thousand trees you cut than the last thousand. I would say I have cut a thousand trees all shapes ,sizes ,species , split, tops busted off but still attached you name it.

3. 066blaster

I wouldn't call myself a pro, but what do you have to do to earn this status. How many trees? How many perfect stumps? How many years?

4. treeslayer2003

treeslayer2003 Addicted to ArboristSite

of course I am more safe now than when I started, I was a dumb kid then lol. I consider any thing under 18" small. pine and gum are bad because they are bendy and tend to be big spring poles. any leaner can be dangerous but smaller is worse because you have less to work with.

HuskStihl and Nuzzy like this.
  5. treeslayer2003

doesn't really matter, it shows in your work. I guess any one with years at it is a pro but some are sloppy.
    listen , I am not pickin on you or your dad. y'all are stump jumping, I did that for years like my father did.
    what i'm saying is have an open mind and consider that other methods may be safer or better. also consider that you could be talking to a guy that has little to no time on a saw on these forums.

Trx250r180, HuskStihl and Nuzzy like this.
  6. 066blaster

I won't give advice anymore that's for sure. I also don't want to argue anymore
    This is the first forum I have ever been on
    And since i got on i have doubted peoples ability and level of expertise. I looked at the logger forum last night for the first time and seen there definitely are experts on this forum. I had been spending to much time in the chainsaw forum. I have never read a book or manual on how to cut down trees or different techniques. I was taught by my dad and incorporated some better technique, smaller face cuts and the use of wedges to what I was taught. He has scared me a bit on the last few he dropped and think it is time I do all the felling. I guess I had been thinking it was just confidence and not sloppiness on his part. I will take Bitzer up on his offer when I am able. I am sure I could learn a lot in the first 15 minutes.

7. HuskStihl

HuskStihl Chairin'em for the sound

Here's why the guys are coming down on your assertion that you should just face the tree and ease into the back cut until it pops

I had a 10 inch red oak explode on the back cut 5 years ago. Got lucky

8. HuskStihl

HuskStihl Chairin'em for the sound

I would really benefit from a week with Bitzer. Once I realized that how my father taught me was not the best way, I humbly appealed to the loggers for help and advice. Douglas Dent's book helped my understanding a lot, but I am still just a land clearing hack, which is one step below a firewood hack

mdavlee, treeslayer2003 and Nuzzy like this.
  9. 066blaster

I really wasn't recommending that on leaners. He asked why I dint like bore cuts and I was explaining what I did on big oak trees. Maybe I worded it wrong or it was misinterpreted. I like to see them move a little so I know if I have to steer them a bit more or just finish dropping them. Again it's just what I'm familiar with. Also not talking about leaners now.

treeslayer2003 likes this.
  10. treeslayer2003

that's all I ask, you stick around and pay attention you will pick up better habbits. don't be hard on yer dad either, my dad logged for 55 years stump jumpin. them ol guys got it done, but I can now steer a tree with the best of um and my buyer likes the butt log better that way and I make more money, safer, leaving the woods better than I used to.

Pelorus and HuskStihl like this.
  11. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Trail Gnome

A book certainly can't teach you how to be a good/safe faller. But it can give some solid fundamental advice that you may not have had unless you had logging mentors, and that you can put to practice. Information from a credible source is golden!

12. Trx250r180

Trx250r180 Saw polisher

it is not how many you have cut ,it is how much you learn from what you and others have done if that makes sense ,if you get time watch these vids ,lot of good stuff in this series ,this is basic limbing ,there are falling vids also in the links

13. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Trail Gnome

I think the confusion came because the whole thread, and conversation right up until that point, had been about leaners. I reread it last night and could see the jump you made based on the specific bore cut question.

Not much reason to bore cut non heavy leaners in my opinion. The GOLers sure love it, but they're a weird bunch. The exception being a heart bore through the face on a tree near double your bar length or more. Or I suppose if you REALLY wanted to dial in a hinge for some reason.

14. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Trail Gnome

That whole BC training series is fantastic.

15. Kafinlayson

Kafinlayson ArboristSite Lurker

"pecker poles"......for us new cats, what is that . :)

16. treeslayer2003

lol, little whippy trees.

17. Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI Unwanted Riff Raff.

Smaller trees. Generally tall skinny ones.

066 if you'd like some reading, I have Dent's book that I'd be happy to loan you. As mentioned, it won't make you an expert by reading it, but it does explain a lot of the whys and why nots. I have another book by Jeff Jepson that's good as well, maybe leaning more toward the Game of logging (GOL) style a bit, but another member has that one right now.

18. 066blaster

Thanks for the offer
    ,I think I will just buy some books myself. Looks like your gonna get some snow up there. I hope we stay in the rain down here. It was 46 here today still to much snow to get around.

19. treeslayer2003

see this is good. this is what this forum is all about.:blob2: I am happy lol.

Metals406, Trx250r180, bitzer and 3 others like this.
  20. Nuzzy

Nuzzy Trail Gnome