090 vs 070 Starter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallfarmboy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Howdy,
Recently acquired an 090 Stihl without a starter, fanwheel, and other hardware...

Question, should I look for an 090 starter with the metal cup and ring starting hardware, OR find an 070 starter (aftermarket probably) with corresponding fanwheel that uses the inertia activated cogs?

Bailey's - Complete Starter Assembly for Stihl 070 is the link to the aftermarket 070 starter...
Bailey's - Fanwheel for Stihl 070 is the link to the aftermarket fanwheel...

Has anyone used the 070 cover and fanwheel on their 090. I really like the 070 style better than the regular 090...

Let me know what you have done or what you would do.

Thanks!
TFB

Last bump before i just start buying some parts... I realize there are not many people whom are very familiar with 070 vs. 090 similarities and differences.

TFB

I have just purchased two straters for my 090s one new, from a stihl dealer cost $190 complet, the other NOS log logo type $300. I would keep your 090 looking original, i'm sure these parts would be cheaper in the US.

This is the kind of information I want to know... You guys are helping me a lot just by chiming in with what you have done.
I really think I am going to get the 070 starter/fanwheel combo from Bailey's. First time rebuilding a saw of this size... Can't wait to hear it rumble.

TFB

This is the kind of information I want to know... You guys are helping me a lot just by chiming in with what you have done.
I really think I am going to get the 070 starter/fanwheel combo from Bailey's. First time rebuilding a saw of this size... Can't wait to hear it rumble.

TFB

There's not a whole lot of guys with extended experience on 090s so it's hard to come by the info at times. There's a few people here who have the service manuals though, so I'm sure you could get a scanned copy if needed.

Okay, I have a question; I have an 090 and two 070's (one runner & one for parts), but I haven't had to do much work on them, so the internals are still pretty new to me. I wasn't aware the starters were different between the two models. Is the primary difference just a friction shoe versus pawl starter?

Do you know the vintage of your saw? non AV, AV late/early model ?

It's non-AV, in pretty dang good shape. Piston/Cylinder look perfect. Probably going to need at least a new condenser, I have no spark... I am just trying to find time to go to town to get the flywheel removed. I ain't got a puller.

TFB

Okay, I have a question; I have an 090 and two 070's (one runner & one for parts), but I haven't had to do much work on them, so the internals are still pretty new to me. I wasn't aware the starters were different between the two models. Is the primary difference just a friction shoe versus pawl starter?

From looking at IPL's, that is what I am deducting. The 070 starter was slightly smaller than the 090's mainly because of the difference between the friction shoe vs. spring loaded pawl engagement. For some reason, there are several aftermarket parts for the 070 style of starter/fanwheel... but nothing (that I can find anyway) for the 090.

TFB

It's non-AV, in pretty dang good shape. Piston/Cylinder look perfect. Probably going to need at least a new condenser, I have no spark... I am just trying to find time to go to town to get the flywheel removed. I ain't got a puller.

TFB

This is a point of some contention, but you can quickly & easily get the flywheel off without a puller. Won't do any damage if done correctly - and I've done it on an 070 amongst MANY other models of Stihl saws.

Loosen the nut so it's 'above' the end of the crank and has a space between it and the flywheel. Then smack the nut with a hammer while pulling up on the flywheel.

I definitely know the "trick" to removing flywheels. I just don't wanna risk it on this saw. I might give it a try, but there really isn't anywhere to grab the flywheel. I don't actually have a flywheel nut, either... LOL!

TFB

Back