10 ton city crane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This vid is pretty dull, I said it.....but it shows how a small crane can still be utilised to good effect under the right circumstances. No record breaking lifts here by any means, but on a dying ash tree, tight parking area, adjacent to a live powerstation, bad neighbours threatening to sue if anything dropped their side....it sure made thing easier. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ywZIT5O3A4

Very nice indeed Reg. Glad to see you have the 200t out rippin' again.

It was cool to see a small crane in such a tight spot. The talk with the crane operator was interesting, sounded like he said the crane would destruct (over the front or rear?) inside a certain lift radius and flip (over the side?) outside of that if overloaded?

I heard him say it would lift 10ton. Now was that without the jib and reduced to 5 ton with the jib?

Very nice indeed Reg. Glad to see you have the 200t out rippin' again.

It was cool to see a small crane in such a tight spot. The talk with the crane operator was interesting, sounded like he said the crane would destruct (over the front or rear?) inside a certain lift radius and flip (over the side?) outside of that if overloaded?

I heard him say it would lift 10ton. Now was that without the jib and reduced to 5 ton with the jib?

I think you're right about the tipping -destructing radius....thats how it sounded to me. He wasn't aware that I was recording so wasn't making the effort to speak clearly.

It'll pick 10ton on a short lift, the fly-jib would probably desrtruct at a fraction of that. SWL on the flyjib is only about 1/2 - 3/4 ton, so not much more than was in the video really....but we needed that extra few meters so it was worth setting up. I did use the fly-jib as a TIP to further climb and brush out the very top also....it was still a couple of meters short but better than nothing on dead ash, which are hardly the safest dead tree to work on.

All-in-all, easy work, just had to be careful not to knock out any deadwood which might fall into the adjacent properties....a right miserable bunch were in residence. Thanks again

Nice job as usual..

Dead ash has to be one of the most dangerous trees to climb.. the roots can go with no outer sogn of problems.. Big Jon made a cut and had the whole tree drop from under him. Fortunately he was tied in to an adjacent tree...

was there no cribbing under the outriggers?

Some of the best climbers like to climb bare handed.. I did it for 20 years.. Won't pick up a stick without gloves on these days...

Nice job as usual..

Dead ash has to be one of the most dangerous trees to climb.. the roots can go with no outer sogn of problems.. Big Jon made a cut and had the whole tree drop from under him. Fortunately he was tied in to an adjacent tree...

was there no cribbing under the outriggers?

Some of the best climbers like to climb bare handed.. I did it for 20 years.. Won't pick up a stick without gloves on these days...

Thanks Dan, no cribbing on that occassion. If it isn't broken, dont fix it.

Back