Crane Use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberjack

Banned
Reaction score
Preface: I was checking with some different companies about getting a crane for a tree i was bidding.

I was talking to the owner of one company, he met me out at the job site and we started looking around. He said no riding the ball, but you could ride in a basket, more on that later.

Anyways he said that he reccommended at 30 ton crane to lift the wood (could park next to the tree basically) and a 18 ton to ride in the basket to do set the slings and such. The 30 tonner ran $110 an hour (reasonable), but he would charge me for travel and setup time (understandable). He said that I could figure 30 minute drive to get there, 1.5!! hours to setup, and the same figures to break it down and return home. Thats 440 bucks before he lifts his first piece!! I declined on the basket saying I could climb it since I couldnt ride the ball.

Then he said that I should figure in 8 hours!! of crane time plus the 4 hours for getting there and leaving. I counted 8-10 picks that I would need to have done, I was thinking more along the lines of 2 hours, maybe 3.

So I figured he was outta his mind already, but he invited me to watch him today do some "nasty" trees. I got there about 2 this afternoon . He doesnt climb at all, rather he rides the basket on the 18 ton crane. He was using his 85 ton crane to pick the wood. When I got there he was hanging in the basket next to a 26-28" DBH oak.

His first pick that I saw was removing one of the tops. He set the choker and made a notch and and eventually a backcut. All the while all his groundies where telling me how much they disliked doing trees because "You can never tell what they are going to do":rolleyes:. When the piece broke loose he ducked down in his basket like a pansy as the piece pivoted and laid out flat, I will give it to him that he balanced it very well, however his intent was to leave it standing up. So the 85 swings around and lowers the piece down in the drop zone, and the man is lowered to the ground. The piece weighed 2000 pounds.

I took a survey of the other small trees in the area, every one of them will have to be cut (small trees, but dogwoods) because they have been busted up pretty well. Then I looked at their saws. First thing I noticed was they where all stihl, so I thought hey he might be ok yet. But closer inspection revealed that the smallest was a 170 and the biggest was a 290, all pulling bars that where too big for an outfit like this to be using.

The last piece was the trunk and a couple limbs. I gently recommened running the straps so that the piece would lift straight up, but he ignored me and did it his way. When the piece popped loose (they had 15k pounds of preload, the peice weighted 13k) it spun and hit the wire on the boom that he said he was trying to save. Also, how many here have seen an 85 ton boom flex like a fishing pole and lift the back outriggers?

Needless to say they need to stick with simply running cranes, I am going to try and get pics and vids tomorrow on their last tree.

Lumberjack-allow me some input, thankfully I think few here can go toe to toe about cranes with me. This isn't about opinions it is about doing a good job or being on the six o'clock news. I have rigged loads (trusses, beams, rebar, boats, concrete gang forms, trees etc) on many diferent machines. Big excavators, demag 80tonners with 4 outriggers, stingers and hiabs on semi-trucks and tower cranes on highrises. The hallmark of a good crane operator is moving loads smoothly. Not necessarily slowly, but always smoothly and in total control. What you described sounds like a total haywire, gong show. I have never seen a big crane like a 85 tonne bend like a fishing pole, what a mutt. Smooth is the key to keeping the rigging safe and not stressing it, shock loads kill equipment (and people). Preloading a lift like that is crazy. The cable should be almost straight up and down with the stem, you should make a undercut and a backcut with only enough tension so your saw doesn't pinch, as you complete the back cut it should gently swing a little away from you. Then it should be lifted smoothly away. The man cutting is in control of the lift, his hand signals determine the course of events. What are these guy like around powerlines? Do not use them ever. Its the same with using a excavator to push over trees for you, the guy in the machine has your life in his hands.

I am not planning on using them, 3 hours setup and takedown is too much.

Oh, he also allowed as how if he got stuck my clock kept running and I would have to pay for the tow truck to get him out. Yeah right, lets see me pay him for sitting in the mud, if i was driving and forced him to come out, maybe, he is the operator its his job, not my responsiblilty. I would like to see it hold up in court that I have to pay for him being stuck.:rolleyes:

The last pick wasnt as simple as that clearance, the limb had a good bit of weight in the limbs that where left on the tree. My idea was to choke it about 15' below the last piece then make a wrap between the two last limbs to keep it upright and much smoother, he ignored me.

I was in awe to see the boom flex like it did, and to be standing next to it (in its roll area) and feel the far side of the crane lift up, decided I needed to move then.

Why go back tomorrow? Perhaps I could get a job, being the crew foreman and teach the guy something while making easy money like Butch:cool:.

Clearance, I wonder who has more tree experiance, you or Butch, he messes with them quite a bit.

MB is the man when it comes to treework, on this site in my opinion plus he is fekin hilarious. What I said about cranes is all true, all good operators are smooth no matter what they are lifting.

I would later-tater the guy also. Sounds like he's too big for his own pants. It may be his crane, but it's <i> your </i> jobsite. I had a crane op once tell me I couldn't ride the ball. I told him he was the first operator to ever tell me that, and his tip was riding on how well we work together. I smiled, pulled a fifty out of my pocket and said, "Now get me up in that tree, or go home."

He was being conservative, which I can appreciate. We had a great day. He was smooth as silk. Your guy sounds like he's on his own ego trip. I would find another operator.

Having two slings allows you to rig the next piece while the former one is on its trip down. Creates good rhythm.

Scary stuff! You have to wonder how guys stay in business using their equipment so recklessly. Going back the second day sounds like morbid curiousity to me. I'm not sure I'd want to watch that operation. I hate watching accidents in the making. However, I am not opposed to seeing picts of idiots in action on arborist web sites. :blob2:

Clearance- Seems like Butch is standing on your toes. ;)

tm, whats up man havent seen you round much lately.dont tell me youve actually been working!?
who else here has used a crane? i've only seen pics from a couple guys here.
i have a job coming up that i am considering a crane on. it's a coulpe doug firs. theyre about 90'- not huge but- big enough. not much room to put em in. overhead lines of all types on all sides. theres plenty of room to chunk em out/ drop the bombs, but i am concerned about the sprinkler system. the customer wants the chunks long enough to mill- 8's n 16's. also, is there a possibility of fracturing the logs if i just let em drop?? i have never used a crane before...kinda nervous about the prospect. the trees are right next to the drive and i think theres plenty of solid ground to get the crane in there...my camera is on the fritz. cant really post any pics for @ least a week while it is in the shop. any advice?

Cut down lot of Doug. firs, bigger and smaller than that. If they are only 90' its probably better to firewood it than to pay for a crane (unless D. fir is worth big money where you are). You can, with a little practice, make the logs land flat, but they can stick in the ground and then hit the house too! Not a good job to find out on. The longer the log, the better chance of it braking, but D. fir is strong. Done many big D. fir removals, if the log truck can winch them out great, if not firewood. I try to fall big chunks or logs out of the tree anyways, for firewood or logs if I have the room. Better to buck with a 288 than a 020. People alway think their wood is worth a fortune, its not. If you use a crane, make sure the operator is good. Please don't hang logs, let them go.

heres what i'm thinking... first of all the logs are pretty hefty as the trees were topped like twenty years ago, so they really should be morelike 130-140'. kinda some big ass logs. i'm not so worried about lettin em bomb- theyre big, but ive done it before. the things i'm worried about most are- 1. there is a underground sprinkler system and if i drop a piece just right i might break a line. 2. it is a kinda tight spot and i could see one of those pieces landing on its end and taking off the wrong way (probly me just freaking out though). the customer has a friend w/ a portable mill who will do the logs right there in the driveway (i guess. that's the customer's deal. i dont know any thing about milling) he's just gonna pay me to get it on the ground safely-hopefully in tact enough to cut into lumber.

Hey Jason,

I have used cranes a bunch(though CLEARly not as much as some) and my experiences depended a lot on the operator. I wonder though, if the wood isn't going anywhere, have you ever drop crotched a tree using a Hobbs lowering device? I haven't searched the site for references or anything but it seems like I never hear about anyone using a Hobbs. I love that toy and the size pieces you're talking about are within reason. I love jobs that let you buy more toys, I mean tools.

Tree machine, it aint my operation.

I do agree though, seems silly that I can ride in a death cage, but I cant tie in the same way it does and work off of that.

I am going back tomorrow (assuming this rain doesnt cancell him) to take pictures for us to make fun of the situation. I give it 50% odds he hits the house at some point tomorrow.

Back