1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michigancountry

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am debating if I wanna get a 1/2 ton truck or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am not dumb I know the truck would haul more, but my question to you is how much wood could the jeep haul at a single time. The jeep has a v6. I am just trying to find a family vehicle that is better on fuel if possible. Thank you and NO RUDE comments

You'll be luck to get a 1/4 cord in the back even with the seat down. Not to mention what you'll do to the springs. And speaking from experience, the 4.0L in a grand cherokee was just flat out under powered. That motor was great in the sports (xj's) and wranglers. Terrible in the grands. If you go with the grand, try and find a small utility trailer so your trip can be as efficient as possible.

We had a 84 and 91 Cherokee, a 99 Grand Cherokee, my son has a 02 Cherokee now. All bought used with high miles, cheap. Great vehicles, all had the straight six and 4WD, 20+ MPG, very dependable and plenty of power. Never had any major problems in 300,000+ miles. Many times have hauled 3000+ lbs with a small trailer. I don't know anything about the V6, but I'd be more interested in one with an inline 6.

Sorry...didnt see the bit about the V 6. If it had the inline 6 I'd feel much better about it. The V6 is absolute junk! Sunfish was right about the reliability of the straight 6...the body will rot off of it before that motor wears out. I have 2 and both have over 250,00 miles on them.

Yes, do get a small trailer, mine's 5'x10' and rated at 3600 lbs. Don't try and haul
wood in the back, big mess and wont hold much.

The inline 6 I'm referring to is the 4.0 L. I also like the regular Cherokee, over the Grand.

I've always had trucks and the Cherokees were my wife's :)

All Grand Cherokees with a 6-cylinder prior to 2005 were the 4.0L inline I-6. MOST of the Craigslist/classified ads talk about having a V6 (true for ads about Cherokee, Wrangler, and a lot of Jeeps from the late 80's, 90's, and early 00's.)

Sorry...didnt see the bit about the V 6. If it had the inline 6 I'd feel much better about it. The V6 is absolute junk! Sunfish was right about the reliability of the straight 6...the body will rot off of it before that motor wears out. I have 2 and both have over 250,00 miles on them.

Yeah the inline 6 is the only way to go. Can't kill em. I gave our 91 Cherokee (with over 300,000 mile on it) to a friend in need. His wife drove the crap out of it for about 5 years, then his daughter drove it for a couple more. Bet they only changed the oil a couple times. It has front end problem now, but the motor still runs fine.
:cheers:

I am debating if I wanna get a 1/2 ton truck or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am not dumb I know the truck would haul more, but my question to you is how much wood could the jeep haul at a single time. The jeep has a v6. I am just trying to find a family vehicle that is better on fuel if possible. Thank you and NO RUDE comments

In 1995 the only available six cylinder was the venerable 4.0 straight six as far as I know. I have one in the regular cherokee( not the grand), and can tell you it will haul more trailer than it will stop easily. There is really not that much difference between the grand, and the base model as far as towing, it is mostly features and options. If you plan on relatively short trips, you can tow a decent trailer, especially if you have trailer brakes, but heavy towing and long trips are really too much. I had to add a tranny cooler and bigger radiator to pull a big pop camper up with mine. The six tends to run hot. It is a great engine, and very reliable. My best mpg ever was 23, but 14 to 18 was much closer to reality. I think it all depends on how much you plan to do.

Just to play devils advocate, my 2007 gmc 1/2 ton with 5.3 v8 got a best ever of 21mpg, 14 to 18 regularly, and pulls a hell of alot more trailer... It did cost about 7 times as much! :bang:

We had a '89 Grand Cherokee 4.0L awhile back...

3 front balljoints (left side once, right side twice)...

driveshaft dropped/fixed it/dropped again...

sold it.

sold it.

Just for curiosity's sake, how many miles on it?

sold it.
Of the 4 we had, we never had those probs. Most major repair, was front wheel bearings on the 99 Grand. Nothing close to that on the others.

Would an I6 grand cherokee get better mileage than a pickup anyways?
I've got an '03 Tracker which gets the rare 30mpg tank if its all highway, but normally gets mid 20's or low 20's in the winter.
I do tow with it quite a bit, but its only rated for 1500lbs and I find with 2000+lbs sometimes you need 3rd for hills but it will hold 50mph easily at 4000 rpm:laughn:
Anyways I do almost all my hay and wood hauling on the way home from work so taking little bites with the Tracker doesn't cost me any extra gas money or time. If I had to make special trips for wood then a bigger vehicle and trailer would be needed, and I might do the math on how much a year a gas hog would cost me, and find buying a couple cords and having a small car might be cheaper overall.

Last edited:
The I6 4.0 is NOT known for fuel mileage!
I think you would do just as well with a 1/2 ton pickup, get a manual transmission and go easy on the throttle. I get about 15mpg with my 2010 Ram 2500HD with aut and a hemi, I never got that with my wrangler...lol

Our 4.0 Cherokees got right around 20 mpg, sometimes 22-23 on the HWY.

But if you don't need to haul the family around, a truck is always better :)

I have a 00 Cherokee I6, with 140,000 miles on it, (hasn't been the daily driver for a while but).. As posted before it will out pull far more that it can stop. :)

I don't have a very big trailer 5 x 8, but i had it loaded full of wood the other day and the jeep didn't even feel the weight. (It was only about a face cord).

Also as others have noted the thing just chugs along. I have done only changes tires, and a battery in 100k miles. Really nothing else required.

A trailer is a must though. :) haha

cheapest firewood

For just straight buying...there were few families near to me in maine that just bought an entire tractor trailer load of logs every year, then cut them up and split and stacked right there in the yard where they rolled the logs off. It was wicked cheap to get wood that way.

Anyway, most folks don't need that much wood, but just buying long logs delivered then doing the work yourself, the "processing", is an option most folks don't think about. Then you don't need a big hauler or go travel, etc, no need to beat on your ride or buy more ride than you need, but you can still have a lot of chainsawing fun and splitting fun and save on the heat bill.

Like a lot of guys have said, trees are almost free, it's the felling, cutting to size, splitting and delivering you are paying for.
Eliminate some of those steps, it gets cheaper real fast.

I have a 2004 grand cherokee limited with the 4.0 and when I go home from my cabin I can haul about 1/3 of a cord in the back with the seats down.I use a large 20x20 drop cloth to keep the mess down. I have a 8x5.5 ft trailer that I will pull localy and I have had over 3000 lbs and the Jeep pulled it. I dont pull big loads like that all the time but it works when I need it. I want a truck but does not fit the bugget and family right now.

You can probably get a face cord in the back of a Jeep. The issue is room, not power.

I had a 95 GC with the straight six. Maybe not the smoothest, but one of the longest lasting motors ever built. Plenty of them out there with more miles than going to the moon. But, I now have a 2001 with the 4.7 V8 and it's night and day better than a six. This Jeep is really quick, and the mileage is about the same because you don't have to put your foot in it as much. Lot's of hills around here, and the six would often have to downshift while the 4.7 comfortably pulls the same hill at a leisurely pace. And the 8 sounds great when you get on it.

here's an option... i have an f250 super duty that gets 14-15 mpg loaded or not....you could do a f150 crew cab and do same mileage as a jeep, with more durability...i am biased cause we usually get around 500,000 miles from our fords with little maint. i worked on a fleet of 150 ford ambulances for seven years all averaged that mileage with original drive trains...the body will go before the drive train...the drivers didn't give a care about the trucks either, we had drive cam footage of some jumping railroad tracks once. it knocked it out of alignment but thats it...i was a diehard chevy guy before working on fords..i wont buy another chevy again... fords are truly ford tough no lies.

Latest posts

Back