1st post. tree ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,
New homeowner with a wood burning stove in it (so new to firewood). However I've done a fair amount of cutting in my life as ten years of landscaping and also my dad had a wood stove when I was young (too young to split, but old enough to help stack!)

Anyway, I'm in the business of "scrounging" right now and have spotted a few trees in people's yards who will let me take them if I want. However, I'm not sure of the species, so I thought I'd come to the experts! (Have a set of Labonville chaps coming thanks to the reading I've done on this site - however no gloves that protect the right hand of those of us who saw lefty!)....

Attempted photo uploads:

this big one (i'm definitely taking that cherry that it knocked down in the background)
attachment.php

attachment.php

and then this mess (cherry?):
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks in advance,
Wagz

I really can't tell exactly with the bigger logs, but either tulip poplar or some sort of ash, looking at the even bark fissures and pattern. The other tree is def. cherry.

Cut some of the larger logs then split some, post more pics. Either way FreeTUs! Happy scrounging!

One of the facilities you'll add to your arsenal is to combine smell (of the sawdust and bark) with sight for tree ID. Growth habit and wood density help too.

The black birch should have fragrance of wintergreen. The black cherry is pretty obvious.

All of them will burn fine once dry, and subtly perfume the area downwind of you. Of all them, the black cherry would be the "shoulder season" wood.

#1 and #2 look like cottonwood and #3 looks like some sort of cherry and #4 looks like some sort of cherry or a species of a pine with that rough looking bark.

here's the bigger tree split (don't mind the maple off to the right) from picture 1 and 2:

attachment.php

attachment.php

i hope it's something decent and worth burning. it split SOOOOOOOOOO nice. it's been down in the woods for a year, but suspended off the ground by that cherry tree...

Yeah it looks like cherry because how it has a darkish redish tint to the wood. Cherry wood will burn good for you too. Pretty much all fruit trees burn good.

so i should go for it? thanks men!

I would go for it if I was you! If you can get lots of it for free then go and get it! All wood is worth taking to keep you nice and toasty warm during the winter months.

that's not cherry shane. there is some cherry in my photos, but the one i'm trying to ID is the big one in photos 1 and 2, and the same tree, but split, on my recent photos.

Back