2 stage pump question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welder15725

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 16 gmp 2 stage pump on a 10 hp engine. Sometimes it goes into the 2nd stage and splits great. Most of the times it goes into the wedge and stops about a inch deep. It acts like its not going into the second stage.
my cylinder is 4 x 2 x 24. Any clues as to why it is stalling and not goin into 2nd stage??

your switchover could be set too high. try backing it out a little. How old is your pump? I should set mine a little higher.

I was going to say it could be something in your spring but that is probably not the case.

just try backing it out a little.....maybe 1/2 turn to start. does the motor stall?

no the engine does not stall. Trying to find out how to adjust the switch over. Not sure where it is at on my pump.

it might be under a cap screw. It is probably the only adjustment on it

if it is not bogging the engine too much you could probably increase your relief pressure....

do you have a gauge on your splitter? if so, what does it read when in use?

Make certain that you have enough oil in the tank so it isn't cavitating the pump intake. If you are getting air/oil mix, the pump won't build enough pressure to push the ram in high volume, and won't build enough pressure to shift the pump to high pressure stage. Another possibility is a suction leak on the intake piping. I would check out these types of things before screwing with pump and relief settings, they are usually in the ballpark at least when you get them.

the relief valve opens to limit the pressure in the system so you don't damage something. Sometimes it is too low...*wink wink*
To adjust it you need to turn your relief screw in to put more pressure on the spring. It should be on your valve. They can only be turned up so far....unless you modify them. Some people put a rod in place of the spring and snug it down so there is NO relief. Others just insert a heavier spring. If you go too high you can blow seals/other stuff.....and that is not good.

Hope no one minds me butting in here... Got a 2 stage pump issue as well.

I just put a new Haldex 16gpm pump from Northern Tool on my splitter with a 4x2x24 ram. Initial cycles without splitting a log were impressive over the old11 GPM pump. Well after I split the first log it is constantly in the second stage. The piston moves very slowly now.

Oil is filled to within an inch of the top of the tank. Breather is a steel cap with two holes in it and they are not clogged. The intake hose is tight. The oil filter only has about an hour on it now. Power to the ram is not the issue so things are working. Old pump would stall out and squeal like a stuck pig with some of the crotches this new pump is pushing through.
Just don't have a first stage for some reason.

I wondered if the control lever could be restricting flow for the 16 GPM pump. The old pump was only an 11gpm. The restriction might be pushing the pump into the second stage. I adjusted the unloading valve all the way in to increase the pressure needed to kick into the second stage. No luck there so I doubt this is the problem.

Only other thing I can think of is the oil is too thick. I got ISO 46 hydro oil. Would a ATF transmission oil be "lighter" than the hydro? Could this be the issue?
Northern Tool offered to exchange it but if I can fix it I would rather go that route.

The first is a picture I just took of my gauge at relief pressure...(yes, I know I need to turn it up...LOL)

View attachment 130782
attachment.php

This is what my relief cap looks like. If I take off the ca there is a bolt and jam nut. In is higher and out is lower.

View attachment 130783
attachment.php

Back