2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORMZILLA44

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Tried to reply to the 2100 topic below, and couldnt. So Ill start one new. The 21oo, and 2101 are BEASTS! Not many saws from that era can compete, and hang with the muscle saws of today, but the can! In my opinion one of the top muscle saws of all time! Hum! Thats another topic how many are there. Ive wondered how many numbers we would need for a ranking? Top 5, Top 10, top 20? for the greatest muscle saws. Its been talked about before, but its been awhile! What are they let's Roll

Anyone tried 8 pin 0,325 on a 357 XPG

sorry, really didn´t know what happened! Should have been a new thread! Again, sorry.

Last edited:
Tried to reply to the 2100 topic below, and couldnt. So Ill start one new. The 21oo, and 2101 are BEASTS! Not many saws from that era can compete, and hang with the muscle saws of today, but the can! In my opinion one of the top muscle saws of all time! Hum! Thats another topic how many are there. Ive wondered how many numbers we would need for a ranking? Top 5, Top 10, top 20? for the greatest muscle saws. Its been talked about before, but its been awhile! What are they let's Roll

Actually there is a very recent thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/170816.htm

The factory specs on HP for the 2100-2101 is only 6.7 from its 99cc engine where as the Sthil 066 is rated at 7 HP and is only 91cc. Now I own both saws and will have to do some side by side comparisons to see which of the two saws has the most clout. The Husqvarna is a 1983 model and the Stihl is a 1996 so there is over a decade difference in age. A video is in order to see which one will prevail as the strongest saw and I will try to post one by this weekend as I have a good piece of wood to run them in.

I have been quietly collecting some of these beasts, and I would have to rank my muscle saws in the following order:

1. McCulloch Super Pro 125/ w/ 101B Kart motor 123cc
2. Homelite 750, new p&c, 112cc
3. McCulloch SP125, stock, 123cc
4. Pioneer P60, 99cc

All of them (except maybe the Pioneer) have more power than my Husky 395XP

I have been quietly collecting some of these beasts, and I would have to rank my muscle saws in the following order:

1. McCulloch Super Pro 125/ w/ 101B Kart motor 123cc
2. Homelite 750, new p&c, 112cc
3. McCulloch SP125, stock, 123cc
4. Pioneer P60, 99cc

All of them (except maybe the Pioneer) have more power than my Husky 395XP

How does your 3120 xp stack up in that list?

My 2100 has more torque than my 066 mag and it may even be slower in the smaller wood 25" and under. but the 2100 can be leaned on as hard as you can an it doesn't slow down using a 32" bar. The 066 will slow to a stop if leaned on that hard. But the 066 is much handier and faster for most of the wood I cut. Still how many non gear drive 99cc saws are factory rated for a 60" bar. I don't believe the 395 is, and the 066 certainly isn't.

That said the 2100 does seem to behave like a 120cc saw in my limited use. It will sure kick my 076 supers butt and maybe even my stock 880. But it's sure no Mac 125 or 090. At 18lbs. for the powerhead it is really hard to beat. I would rank it in the top 5 maybe even the top 3.

Oh yeah the 3120 definately in, and running my 660, and 2101 close side by side its close even with the slower speed in big wood, yeah smaller stuff limbing etc the 660 is noticeable, but big bars yeah man. Throw a 50 or 60 on I bet it would impress more people in big wood for sure. I agree cant forget the pioneer saw for sure. Saw a Dolmar 166 for sale like new good price, wish I had the cash.

At the most I would say you will only get about 12hp out of a kart saw. Actually, 10 hp probably would be more plausible. In the old muscle saws I still give the sp125 the number one spot. It had good power, reliability, anti-vibe, and could pull a 4' bar with ease. I still use mine to cut fire wood, and if people are around they always are looking to see what big yellow saw is running.

Hmmm I'm surprised the Big stihl's havent hit the list yet 075 088 and 090... Like the 075 not fond of the 088 and never had a 90 in wood.. I wold have to say I like the 125 sounds like the winner so far.

In my less than completely even comparisons, the SP125 with adjustable H/L is top of the heap, followed by SP125 w/o the adjustable H, SP118 (Dolmar 166), and Super 797.

When the tree man's 2101 took a major dump I let him run the stock SP125 in a big log, he was noticeably impressed. I think he was more shocked however by the 7-10 with a 16" bar...almost speechless in fact.

Mark

I know someone here with a big Stihl 090 that will run with any saw but I will let them come forward, hopefully with the video.

Latest posts

Back