2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a friend with a ported, piped, NOS'd 090.....it'll run with most anything:msp_biggrin:

One thing I found interesting, in my high climbers, and timber fallers book. I always try, and identify the saw, and curios what they used for the big big trees. You see alot of 2100-2101S huskies, 090 almost on every page, a few 288"s did anybody notice the big dolmar?, and the page it was on? Looked like at least a 166. I am surprised dolmar, and solo never pressed for more sales, and shops around here. I grew up with old homelites, and mac's, then stihl, and never forgot the first husky I ran. The dolmars sure look good solo too. I have never run either. If i had the cash there is a 133 for 300 bucks. Id buy it. I also saw a mac 125 in the high climber book.

Just made this video and uploaded it. Both saws are stock. The 066 has a 32" bar with skip tooth chain and the 2100 has a 30" bar with skip tooth chain, also the 2100 chain is a touch sharper but not by much. Did not get a chance to time the cuts, I leaned on the saws just to see if I could stall them in the cut but pretty much let them self feed with a little pressure.

[video=youtube;Gc3SvfDwkXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc3SvfDwkXo[/video]

Nice video Jim! Dude thats some hard wood man! By the way the saws acted a little dry to uh? Good for testing though for sure man.

Ok I have a few # to throw out there.

Stihl 066 Magnum 33 and 37 seconds for its two cuts.
Husqvarna 2100CD 29 and 25 seconds for its two cuts.

I wish I had equal length bars for a equal test but I don't, I do think they were very closely matched bar and chain wise. There is no doubt that there is no replacement for displacement. Make of it what you will, I really like both saws and I had a great time running them.

I have run alot of saws, and been cutting for twenty three years, and the 2101xp, and the 066-660 are for sure in my book, and in the top 5. Those two saws have really impressed me, and I have cut alot of big stuff with em. I had a 056 ten plus years ago it was a goody for sure.

Is there any real performance difference between the 1100/2100 and the 2101XP?

I am not to sure. Other than on I found out recently. I have one of the last, and latest models, and mine has the tilitson carb without the rev limiter, that most guys plug off for better performance. I learned this a few months ago on my saw with some help from these guy's. My saw shop told me they did'nt change alot though.

I was curious if anybody else has noticed, and noted the saws used in the logging, and falling in the high climbers, and timber fallers book. I thought it was cool to go through, and try, and identify the saw's they used. I was able to identify most. Did anyone notice at least one big dolmar? Almost looked like a 166. I did notice the 2100-2101 on several pages.

My 2101 has the Tillotson carb without a rev limiter.They must have limited rpm at the coil.This saw must have an older coil with no limiter when I first started it and was tweaking H jet it hit 19000 RPM.Yikes.Tach is a FAST-TACH from Edge and Engine.I went online after that and have bought a laser tach to compare.

1100: 8000 working rpm, .404 only
2100: 8500 working rpm, chain brake introduced to series, also
available with 3/8 sprocket
2101: 10,500 max rpm

That is pretty much the main changes as I can tell. The carb was upgraded but still the same model.

Greg176 Nice, Very nice collection of saw you have!!! I have the same carb on my 2101. Do you cut with the saw much?

I have my 2100 apart now waiting on new oil lines new impulse lines new fuel lines and a AV mount. Can't wait to get it back together and cut some wood.:rock:

I have not cut anything with the 2101 yet.Just got it running and been to busy to go cut some wood.Saw sure sounds nice. I have found I prefer the saws with a Tillotson carb. I did some cutting with the 281 and will probably sell the 372.

Right on Homelite Jim. When I first got mine was real excited had to do a few things to get it going, and part way through I started wondering what if I compare it to much to my 660, which I love the 66's too., and what if it doesnt cut as good, and man what if it is slow I was worried because of the lower rpm's. All I can say now is I run em both, and even though my 660 is alot newer, man the feel of the 2101, does'nt feel its age, and impresse's the hell out of me. I love to cut with it, and Im not worried anymore about another saw making it look silly. I will be running it for a long time!

Well Greg176, I think you wiill be impressed! And my friends at my saw shop say the tilitson carbs are the cat's meow!

Back