3 year old log splitter motor died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodomaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Briggs and Stratton 6.5 hp Vanguard died. Last year valve hung open. This year no spark..oil was full...no spark.
Less than 200 hours on unit. B&S web site said the motor has to turn 250 rpm to fire due to the new style ignition systems...with cold weather and cold oil, I can't do that....
Bought chinese take-off at HF...for $99 on sale......see what happens.
Any one else had problems with the B&S overhead valve engines?

Never had any of the newer Briggs, the older ones would run forever if you didn't run them out of oil. Right now I have two of the cheaper Honda GC's I think running, not the pricey red ones.

Briggs and Stratton 6.5 hp Vanguard died. Last year valve hung open. This year no spark..oil was full...no spark.
Less than 200 hours on unit. B&S web site said the motor has to turn 250 rpm to fire due to the new style ignition systems...with cold weather and cold oil, I can't do that....

As far as I've heard the commercial duty vanguards have been pretty solid engines. Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. Doesn't the vanguard engine have a 3 year warranty? I'd give them a call and see what they could do for you.

http://www.vanguardengines.com/service-support/warranty/

I have a newer briggs quantum I think on my splitter and it's never given me trouble but the new ones certainly aren't as robust as the old iron sleeve engines it seems.

As far as I've heard the commercial duty vanguards have been pretty solid engines. Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. Doesn't the vanguard engine have a 3 year warranty? I'd give them a call and see what they could do for you.

http://www.vanguardengines.com/service-support/warranty/

I have a newer briggs quantum I think on my splitter and it's never given me trouble but the new ones certainly aren't as robust as the old iron sleeve engines it seems.
Appreciate the info..

Never had any of the newer Briggs, the older ones would run forever if you didn't run them out of oil. Right now I have two of the cheaper Honda GC's I think running, not the pricey red ones.
Thanks.....and yes I have several of the " older B&S "...they are bullet proof

I have one the first 16 Hp vanguard I wish I would have put a hour meter on it when it was new. It has tons of hours on it running a 28 GPM hyd pump and I have had zero problems with it. I have been running the predator motors on many pieces of equipment and have had zero problems with them also. For the 13 hp and down I won't buy any thing else.

No B&S, but had a 1970 10hp Tecumseh on the splitter built around '77 or '78, no recoil start so a pain in the cold weather, split a lot of wood with that unit, finally put one of those HF $99 jobbies on it couple years ago, so far so good. Buddy has a shelf full of these in his shop; tears 'em down and rebuilds for more hp and rpm, uses them on the go kart his kids uses to race on the ice track, he says they hold up pretty good for a China motor so we should be ok running steady on a log splitter.

I've wore out several older B&S motors on water pumps, including IC motors... Water pumps just seem to suck the life out of them and that's with EXTRA GOOD maintenance! I finally switched to a Kubota gas powered pump and it just won't wear out!

My 23 hp B&S Vanguard motor that's on my BSM, is powerful, much better than I expected on fuel and stone reliable! GREAT motor. I'd buy another in a heart beat!

SR

I also pulled my briggs and replaced it with a predator 6.5hp $99 special. It's been a great engine so far. Starts every time, runs quieter and cooler then my old briggs. When I took it out of the box, I screwed it to a piece of plywood for break-in. Filled it with gas, and no kidding... Started on the very first pull. If it fails anytime soon, I'll go buy another for $99. Maybe even 2
image.jpg

I don't know how cost effective Subaru engines are versus Honda or Briggs, but my Ariens log splitter has a 6.5 hp Subaru that has been flawless. I've had it for a few years now. It starts on the first pull, runs smooth and seems to be pretty fuel efficient. Take it for the $.02 it's worth...

When is a Briggs not a Briggs, when it's a vanguard. Vanguards are made by dihatsu for Briggs in Japan.

I rate them higher than Hondas personally and I think unfortunately the OP got a lemon. Even the best products have them.

The EX series subarus are the best in my opinion.

I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
12j.jpg
uk4.jpg

Vanguards are made by dihatsu for Briggs in Japan.

I rate them higher than Hondas personally and I think unfortunately the OP got a lemon. Even the best products have them.

It's my understanding that some Vanguards are made by Mitubishi and some by Dihatsu... Not sure how accurate that is, these days though?

SR

Ok, so I take the HF Predator out of the box....bolted it to splitter....left the hyd. pump off for " break in ".
Oil / Gassed it up.......one pull and away it went...ran three hrs.....changed oil, mounted pump, one pull, and split two cord over the Christmas holiday. So far - so good.

I put a new HF 6.5 on my old Didier splitter this fall, I love it no more vibration. I found a 25% coupon on line, got my motor for $75. This thing doesn't seem to burn any fuel, no oil leaks like my old Briggs.

When is a Briggs not a Briggs, when it's a vanguard. Vanguards are made by dihatsu for Briggs in Japan.

The EX series subarus are the best in my opinion.

True.

I like and trust Briggs Vanguard engines. Better torque than a Honda and run longer.

That said on small splitters I still install the Predator engines, they are good motors, but they still are a pain to start when it's 10° and they are coupled to a hydraulic pump.

I've only had a few of the Subaru engines, so far they seem good. I was told they come from the same factory as Predator engines, but don't know that for sure.

Mr. HE:cool:

After comparing a lot of reviews, I replaced the 5hp Honda engine on my splitter with a 6.5hp Predator. Mounted it to the splitter, bolted on the hydraulic pump, then I was going to just slowly turn the engine over to circulated the oil before actually starting......It actually started on that first slow pull! lol

Excellent engines, IMHO.

After comparing a lot of reviews, I replaced the 5hp Honda engine on my splitter with a 6.5hp Predator. Mounted it to the splitter, bolted on the hydraulic pump, then I was going to just slowly turn the engine over to circulated the oil before actually starting......It actually started on that first slow pull! lol

Excellent engines, IMHO.
I all but had the same thing happen to me.

The predators are great, I've had 3 now plus two of the previous hf greyhound engines. The predator on my bandsaw mill has been great I have cut several thousand board feet without a single issue. The only thing I don't care for is that you have to choke it every time you start it even after only being off for 2-5 min. The 9hp works great on the mill, when it dies I will replace it with the 13hp model. I should but and hour meter on it just for fun.

Back