3120xp vs 880 Magnum???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgerloff92

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In another thread I mentioned I had my 395 out today. To be honest I don't have a bar to really test it to the max, but even a 36" bar is a bit small at times. So I've begun seriously thinking about BIGGER bars and with that the necessity of a bigger saw. As I have said I have a 395xp and Mastermind has my 660 currently. I believe that the 3120 does not come stock with a high speed carb adjustment? It also comes with a limited coil? As does the 880? Does the 880 have a HS adjustment? Which one is easier to work on? I believe they both have different bar mounts than the smaller saws that i have of each brand? Let me know if I'm missing any of the big items.

being nonpartisan stihls and husky's i'd like to see them go head to head... but like every other stihl V. husky debate interesting to say the least :popcorn::popcorn:

Not trying to start a war just wanted factual info and advice. Either saw will prolly be sent off to be ported so warranty's don't really matter.

Save yourself a grand or so and get a big inch McCulloch like a 797, CP125 or SP125.

I've always had my eyes peeled for an SP125, but they're hard to find in usable condition.

Compared to a ported 660, or 395 the 880's and 3120 are over weight, over priced, slow cutting pigs.
The 880, and 3120 only have 3 uses as a chainsaw mill, a hotsaw and as a stump saw for tree removal.
In every other application they will be out cut by a ported 395 or 660.

I've owned a couple 088's 084's and 3120's, and they suck stock, they suck to carry, they cut slow, they are pigs.

Your ported 90cc's saw will make a 880 or 3120 look really bad.

At over 1600$ new they're a huge waste of money.

The 3120 is probably the easiest chainsaw to work ever produced, if you can't completely
disassemble a 3120 in under 20 minutes you're an idiot.

They do have limited coils, but that's easily cured by a flywheel and coil swap.

Right now I own 2, 3120's and a 088.

Last edited:
I would be using it to prep for a mill and would like it to wear a 42 to 60" bar. I really don't think either of my ported 90cc will do that for me and last.

I haven't run a 3120 so I cannot say what they're like, but they do have limited coils that are supposed to be a bit less rpm than the 880. Now I have an 088 stock and a 880 that I had Sling'r port. It's true that a stock 880 is a bit of a dog and it REALLY needs porting to make it perform properly. I'm gonna have Randy port my 088. All 880's have limited coils, the newer ones are harder to change into unlimited status where the older ones with the cast muffler can use an 088 coil. 088's come with the unlimited coil. 880's do have adjustable carbs.

Now what RandyMac said is absolutely true. Get a Mac 125, 797, 101B and they will out perform pretty much any 120cc saw. No other saw that I've used, can you put 50" of bar on the wood and pull the trigger and have it cut. All of the others, including the mighty 090, have to be lifted up and brought up to the rpm powerband. You can get good powerheads from Ebay or members here for about $450-$650 to your door.

Now I have a question for anyone who hass run both. Does the 3120 have better AV than the 880?

I haven't run a 3120 so I cannot say what they're like, but they do have limited coils that are supposed to be a bit less rpm than the 880. Now I have an 088 stock and a 880 that I had Sling'r port. It's true that a stock 880 is a bit of a dog and it REALLY needs porting to make it perform properly. I'm gonna have Randy port my 088. All 880's have limited coils, the newer ones are harder to change into unlimited status where the older ones with the cast muffler can use an 088 coil. 088's come with the unlimited coil. 880's do have adjustable carbs.

Now what RandyMac said is absolutely true. Get a Mac 125, 797, 101B and they will out perform pretty much any 120cc saw. No other saw that I've used, can you put 50" of bar on the wood and pull the trigger and have it cut. All of the others, including the mighty 090, have to be lifted up and brought up to the rpm powerband. You can get good powerheads from Ebay or members here for about $450-$650 to your door.

Now I have a question for anyone who hass run both. Does the 3120 have better AV than the 880?

the newer 880 is no different ,simply swap the coils and muff modd

I'm the OP, got banned with the other account. My question is there a price difference in coils? Which unlimited coil is cheaper on each saw?

Last edited:
Power and Power/Weight ratio

Not trying to start a war just wanted factual info and advice. Either saw will prolly be sent off to be ported so warranty's don't really matter.

Fact 1: The STIHL MS 880 has more power than the Husqvarna CS 3120.

Fact 2: The STIHL MS 880 has better power/weight ratio than the Husqvarna CS 3120.

Fact 3: The best power/weight ratio of any stock saw on the market is the STIHL MS 660.

Fact 4: You should buy the saw you like the "look and feel" of, and has the best service/spares availability in your area.

Facts backed up by this chainsaw power/weight survey I just put together: Chainsaw power/weight data

Back