Next saw questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl a grasshopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good morning. I just got around to making a profile, but want to thank all of you for the help you have provided in the past. My general use saw is an MS361 with some minor muffler work and tuning running a 25" rollomatic. I have loved using this saw for the years I have had it but sometimes I have found myself wishing I had a bigger saw, mostly after hurricanes/storms not business use. I think most of you would agree that one saw just generally isn't enough saws in the garage! I have been thinking of getting something used in the 90cc class with a 36" for a while now. The other day I was bequeathed a really nice running and looking 455 Rancher that I figured I would sell and use to fund buying said bigger saw when I found one. While at the local shop picking up a primer bulb for the 455 I asked if they ever got in any larger saws to sell or trade and the reply was not usually, but a 084 sthil had just come in and she was hoping to make some extra Christmas money. Enter the over analyzing part of the brain. It bigger than what you were looking for, it's more than you were hoping to spend, etc... but maybe its the hero I deserve, not the one I need right now... Thoughts on the following? (besides first post chump asking about a 120cc saw lol)

It belonged to an old private lumber company, and was traded in because the son didn't want it, and it doesn't run. New carb has been ordered for it.
Serial# is from around 1988. Would you be leery of getting a saw this old no matter the condition its in? It looks pretty clean, but I would check the cylinder/crank bearing play/ ask to cut with before purchasing.
She originally told me she didn't have a price in mind, and bring an offer in a week or so so they can see if it runs with the carb. The next day she said her husband had suggested $900. Does that seem like its probably a pretty fair price for the powerhead/ 48" rollomatic .404 bar/ 4 chains? Probably not going to come off it much? lol
I have no use for, or business using a 48" setup, and would probably sell to get a shorter bar.

Snag it? Skip it? Get a 661 or 395 and just hop it up a little?

Attachments

• 084 sthil.jpeg
    084 sthil.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 37
Its worth 900.00 all day long if the cylinder and piston are in good condition? The bar and muffler would go for 500.0 on ebay .
I paid 1 grand for my used 088 and don't regret it for a minute, (cosmetically not as nice as the one your showing) . When ever the need arises that big saw shines .
As stated if the saw is mechanically in decent shape I would definitely get it.

To me a 084 isnt worth 900. But id gladly sell mine for 900.

Most any non autotune 70cc saw id put lots more value on.

I would not pay 900 for it because I know it would see no use with me so id only be out the money. Getting no return

I'd probably keep looking, but that's just me. I'd settle for a good, genuine MS660 with a 24" bar or maybe slightly bigger.
Originally I was hoping to sell the 455xp for $300-250 and add about the same out of pocket on a used 660 or 395, so while this price wouldn’t be breaking the bank it is more than I was hoping to be telling my wife I spent. 😂

Its worth 900.00 all day long if the cylinder and piston are in good condition? The bar and muffler would go for 500.0 on ebay .
I paid 1 grand for my used 088 and don't regret it for a minute, (cosmetically not as nice as the one your showing) . When ever the need arises that big saw shines .
As stated if the saw is mechanically in decent shape I would definitely get it.
I figured around $600 of the $900 was in the bar and chains, and another $100 for the carb and their time. That’s why I wasn’t sure they would come off their asking price much. Part of me feels like telling them I appreciate their time and that their offer is fair, so I don’t want to seem like a cheapskate jerk by even bringing my offer… then go back in 4 weeks and see if they still have it! 😂 I think if I offered them $5-600 they would probably just keep it in their collection.

The issue with the the Stihl 084 is parts, should the need arise they are hard to fine. I'd be tempted to purchase an 084 to take to GTGs, but for critical use I'd go with a ~90cc Stihl or Husky saw of your choosing. I have a bunch of Stihl and Husky 60cc saws, but my 361 is the first one I look for when I need a saw of that size.

The issue with the the Stihl 084 is parts, should the need arise they are hard to fine. I'd be tempted to purchase an 084 to take to GTGs, but for critical use I'd go with a ~90cc Stihl or Husky saw of your choosing. I have a bunch of Stihl and Husky 60cc saws, but my 361 is the first one I look for when I need a saw of that size.
The parts availability does really give me pause. Originally I had wanted to go with a used 660 or 395. That would be plenty for anything I Would come across in storm cleanup. Also somewhat importantly, a 90cc would still be bigger than any of my friends saws. They just happened to have this 084 at the shop when I came in. Part of me feels like “go big or go home”, part of me feels like if I was going that big I ought to look for an 880. IDK lol

The issue with the the Stihl 084 is parts, should the need arise they are hard to fine.
Amen to that. A few years ago I lucked into an 084 that had never been run and sat in a government warehouse for years. Somewhere along the line someone had "harvested" the oil pump. It took me 6 months to find a replacement pump.

I do have a few smaller diameter milling projects I would like to do. I have a lightning cypress in front of my house that’s about 24” dbh, the downed oak is also about 24”, and the standing oak is closer to 28-30”

Attachments

• 5E1DE4FE-E7BE-4673-B63A-C83AFF9AE150.jpeg
    5E1DE4FE-E7BE-4673-B63A-C83AFF9AE150.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 6D18B0A4-B161-4AAB-9075-BD7640DA1D87.jpeg
    6D18B0A4-B161-4AAB-9075-BD7640DA1D87.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 153DF74B-80A0-4DDA-9D31-4383E122FC35.jpeg
    153DF74B-80A0-4DDA-9D31-4383E122FC35.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back