Storing a saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I know a bunch of you boys have the same problem. I have more saws than I can use. I have my favorites that see a lot of action. I have some others that do more sitting on the shelf then running. When I store them, I generally dump the fuel, then run it till I run all the fuel out of the carburetor. Is that hard on the saw? I know it’s running lean that last little bit as it runs out and there wouldn’t be much if any fuel in there to lubricate the engine. Should I not be running them out of fuel like this? Is there a better storage plan?

So I know a bunch of you boys have the same problem. I have more saws than I can use. I have my favorites that see a lot of action. I have some others that do more sitting on the shelf then running. When I store them, I generally dump the fuel, then run it till I run all the fuel out of the carburetor. Is that hard on the saw? I know it’s running lean that last little bit as it runs out and there wouldn’t be much if any fuel in there to lubricate the engine. Should I not be running them out of fuel like this? Is there a better storage plan?
As long as you let it idle until it runs put, no problem. That's exactly what I do to mine. If they're going to be stored under poor condition (temp changes, high humidity), you could fog the cylinders.

Can fuel…i also find that auto tune gets very confused if fuel runs out while saw is running. So I would not run an auto tune out of fuel, ever.

Why is that? I usually only stop to fuel up when the saw runs out which is usually in the cut. I will "top off" or check fuel level before felling though.

Aspen4 + 3% JASO FD oil of my choice.,.. mineral bar oil....

If it sits unused for 3yrs with Aspen.....I rotate fuel....from trimmer/chainsaw....goes in Snowthrower/lawnmower.....and vice versa

Pump gas for everyday use...when I winterize....pump gas out...small amount of Aspen in

That way I keep cost of canned fuel low and things operational....

I've stored chainsaws every which way, ran out of fuel and dump the bar oil. Leave fuel in.
But for long term storage for like 6 mo's or longer I let the saw sit and idle until it runs out of fuel, then choke and re=start and let it idle again until out of fuel, then dump all the bar oil. I also try to use fuels mix that is non-ethanol.
I seen a you tube video about the late model chainsaw oils (I always use Stihl oil) for mixing in the gas and the video showed that with the later Stihl mixed gas that the cab stayed lubed somewhat as compared to the older oil mix's.
If I leave gas mix in a saw for use later, like within few months I fill the fuel tank completely full of non ethanol mix.
I do not have to go into a chainsaw carb as often in last few years as in previous years.
I've got a old Mac 1-43 in storage, saw is probably 50 years old and still has the OEM carb parts. I run it out of fuel before storing.

One of the MAIN things I do is I try not to store a 2 cycle engine in a building that gets severely hot in the summertime. I'm talking hot enough to bake bread like some of the metal storage pods will do.

This is what I do to store saws. I have had some stored for over a DECADE and they always start right up.

Why is that? I usually only stop to fuel up when the saw runs out which is usually in the cut. I will "top off" or check fuel level before felling though.

The auto tune is designed to compensate for lean or rich conditions …until it can’t. If you are intentionally running the saw out of fuel, the auto tune is going to sense lean conditions and the chip/firmware will attempt t to add fuel, but it is going going gone. The computer chip remembers the last run parameters…on next startup with filled tank…it will likely run rough until it recalibrates. In my experience, running them out of fuel creates conditions for a possible rough start/run next use. I didn’t say it damages the saw…I haven’t seen that…just the computer trying to compensate for lean when fuel may be gone. I hope this makes sense.

Latest posts

Back