346XP replacement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbjake

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to replace my 346xp and am not sure what to replace it with since Husky no longer makes it.
It has been a great saw and I like its combo of power and light weight. It met all my needs, but is going to a new home.

What current Husky saw is its closes replacement?

Does Stihl offer anything comparable? What about other suggestions? I'm always up for saving money if possible.

This will be a farm owner/firewood saw.

Thanks.

The closest current husky is the 550xp. Husky also makes a detuned version that's also autotune. Someone else will correct me hopefully, but it's like a 445 or 450.

The Stihl 261 is the comparable saw in their lineup. If you're interested in them, make sure you're looking at the 261 version 2. It's lighter than version 1, which should make it a little closer to the 346.

Personally, I'd look hard at the Dolmar 5105. It'll be a couple hundred dollars cheaper. I've been very pleased with my Dolmar. You could get a heated handlebar version and still be $ ahead compared to Husky or Stihl.

You could rebuild your 346 ? BUT, I have to admit I LOVE my 550xp,

standard.jpg

It starts easy, cuts FAST and has worked perfect since the day I bought it!!

standard.jpg

SR

the detuned version of the 550xp is the 545xp. both AT. the 545xp doesn't have the rev-boost feature, and makes a bit less total power. As the saws weigh the same, the 550xp may be the preferred of the two. Or, step up a bit in cost to the 562xp.

Thanks! I figured i was wrong on the model number

IMG_20160116_141131145.jpgAs already stated buy one of these little beasts. All it needs is a simple muffler mod or send your 346 to a builder on here and for $250-$350 you'll have a ported keeper for many years to come.

Although I love a 346, and I'll always have one. my 550xp is the starter... The 550 is a joy to use. auto tune is great, power is great, vibes are low, the throttle cable is much better for me as when you limit the av of the saw theach vibes don't translate through the rod into the trigger. the floppy caps are great and the captive bar nuts... it's the most nimble 50cc saw out their for me.

I've heard Echo has a strong contender in this class as well. I don't remember what the numerics were on the saw but I did watch a vid comparing it to the 262, guys seemed to love it. Anybody have any more data?

cs 590, yes I believe that's the one. I went back to see if I could find the Vid with no luck. It seems to me that the worst thing about the echo was that it was an echo. Assuming the vid was authentic it sort of spanked the 262.

cs 590, yes I believe that's the one. I went back to see if I could find the Vid with no luck. It seems to me that the worst thing about the echo was that it was an echo. Assuming the vid was authentic it sort of spanked the 262.
The 262 would have had to been worn out or not running right.

The 590 is a great saw, but much larger than the 346 or 550 been discussed here. Different class.

Maybe I missed something...what is wrong with your 346 and/or why are you sending it down the road? You are letting go of one of Husky's finest saws ever made.

The 262 would have had to been worn out or not running right.

The 590 is a great saw, but much larger than the 346 or 550 been discussed here. Different class.
yeah, I realized later that was wrong....Like I said, not sure how authentic the comparison was but interesting and worth investigating if you are looking for a saw that size.

Back