346xp vs. Echo CS-520

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merr6267

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been curious how these saws compared to each other since I acquired the Echo. I bought the 346 brand new in 2012 and found got the echo in an online auction paired with a Jonsered 670.

For the record, I am no expert and I have never done any cookie cutting before.

Both of these saws are stock with only a mild muffler mod and re-tune.
Both saws are running the exact same bar and chain. For test #1 I used .325 semi chisel. The wood is freshly cut pine, although I do not know the variety. It was a Christmas tree farm 40 years ago.

Test #2 was with .325 round filed full chisel.

Both chains had a few cuts prior to the video recording to minimize any differences due to the freshness of the sharpening.

Like I said, I was just curious how they compared.

Take care,
Phill

Nice showing on both saws. 346 sounded more urgent, high strung. The 520 seemed like there was more torque. Is the 520 a two ring saw?

Good videos for your first cookie cutting you tube!

Nice showing on both saws. 346 sounded more urgent, high strung. The 520 seemed like there was more torque. Is the 520 a two ring saw?

Good videos for your first cookie cutting you tube!

I do not remember for sure about the rings in the 520 although I think it has 2 rings.

I agree about the 346 being more high strung.
I have arrived at running 3/8 chain on a pro - lite 16" bar with a 7 pin rim on the 346 and using it for limping when I gather firewood. The 520 keeps the bar from the video and rides along on my tractor while I mess around in the yard.

I found it to really march through dry locust with semi-chisel chain

This Echo of mine has an unknown history, but it was really packed with saw dust and was missing the starter handle and the clutch cover. It had been sitting outside for quite a while and the spark plug was/is rusty . . . I was actually expecting to part it out, at best.
$2 on a handle, and $40 for the cover and I am thrilled. It also gave me something to run the original bar from my 346 on. It only needed a little vertical elongation on the adjuster hole and it runs on both saws.

I compared a cs600p and a ms360 a few years ago,, both had mm's and tuned,,, they where dang near dead even,,, wish I still had that vid

I really regret selling my 600p. :( Good news is that i have a BNIB 590 timberwolf waiting in the wings. Maybe a good candidate to get ported? ;)

I have a Echo 50 cc (CS-520) Clamshell as a model airplane engine. It was purchased as a BME-50. It was made from a Echo SB1080 replacement short block.

I have another model airplane engine that has a Dolmar 115 cylinder and piston and a custom billet aluminum crankcase that was purchased as a Brison 3.2.

The engines turn the same prop at close to the same rpm.

The design and porting of the CS520 cylinder is very much in the Mahle style we are accustomed to.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the-echo-cs-520.188552/
In this thread Mastermind said that the Echo cs520 is a 346xp killer. Off memory in the video that saw was making 5 second cuts. Kinda regret selling it. That was fresh off the roll Oregon chain ( i sent the bar and chain with it). First saw I ever had ported. Started an Obsession. 25 port jobs now and several lined up in the near future.

I do not remember for sure about the rings in the 520 although I think it has 2 rings.

I agree about the 346 being more high strung.
I have arrived at running 3/8 chain on a pro - lite 16" bar with a 7 pin rim on the 346 and using it for limping when I gather firewood. The 520 keeps the bar from the video and rides along on my tractor while I mess around in the yard.

I found it to really march through dry locust with semi-chisel chain

I've found bumping the compression up to 180+ on the 346 adds balls to it. High strung, but with balls is a good thang! :D

The CS520 is a nice saw. Having a chance to run one is what made me want to get a 50cc saw. Ended up with a ported 346XP but would have been happy with a ported CS520 :)

Latest posts

Back