40' red oak trunk worth any $ to loggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddyR

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Before I cut into this is it worth anything to a logging co or lumber mill?

Tree entry down last year but bark on trunk is in tact and no rot that I am can see

9ura9eme.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

Last edited:
It's firewood. We might buy a log like that to run through the mill, but wouldn't pay much for it. It might be shook, or full of ants which really devalues it as lumber.

I am sure there is but you have to think about how you are going to get it out and to the mill in the specific minimum length the mill wants. If you can then is it worth all the trouble for the price the mills are paying right now for logs.

Looks like easy-pickins firewood to me. One log is not worth all the trouble to do anything with it besides cut it up and burn it unless it is a rare high-dollar wood. Last I looked Red Oak is pretty common.

Don't really have an easy way to get it there. Cutting it to length I can do but with what I'm hearing it's not really worth much.

My friend said he'd probably be willing to sell a few more of the trees that are live but I'd want to get him some numbers. Some of the others are close to the same size. I'll have to call a local place and see if it's worth his while.

At least now I'll be able to buck up this one:rock:

Its all firewood, even the standing stuff.

Prices are down.

Some mills are restricting the amount of logs coming in, because they simply aren't selling whats in the yard.

Mills want specific lengths and quality. If you aren't cutting it to within a few inches of what they want..... they back-charge you to make a cut to get it to the right length.

How will you get it there in log length? Hire a truck? How will you pay for that?

As much as well all want our logs to be worth big bucks, its just fantasy. Even on Black Walnut. Even most loggers are just squeeking by. Cut it into firewood and enjoy the heat next year.

We would haul that out in 3 pieces (2 16's and whatever's left), 2 loads on the trailer, and run it through the mill. If it were decent wood it'd be lumber. If not, it'd be firewood.

Im even curious now. What would a tree like that bring in a good market, if you could cut to size and bring it to mill. If tree was in perfect milling cond.

I tend to agree, it's firewood. Log haulers won't be falling over themselves to travel to pick up just one log anyway.

Besides, what little a logger or mill would pay would pale in comparison to the amount of money you'd save by burning it for heat.

I tend to agree, it's firewood. Log haulers won't be falling over themselves to travel to pick up just one log anyway.

Besides, what little a logger or mill would pay would pale in comparison to the amount of money you'd save by burning it for heat.

Or processing it and selling it as firewood.

I already have access to a ton of free wood so this is like a bonus. Most likely will sell it in the fall. I save about $2600 a year or so on oil and pellets by burning wood. I really, really like that.:hmm3grin2orange:

Or processing it and selling it as firewood.

Yeah what Mac889 said! I'll have to do some math and figure out about how many chords that will be.

Nice straight stick, no lower branches. That ought to split real easy.

Yep, the bigger concern is bucking it safely. It's still attached to the root ball so I have to cut it near the top at the fence line where my friend wants to leave it in place to help keep the horses in and then down at the root ball. I have a plan and some pieces under it to brace it to minimize tension. I think it will go well. I walked through it several times in my head today.

Yep, the bigger concern is bucking it safely. It's still attached to the root ball so I have to cut it near the top at the fence line where my friend wants to leave it in place to help keep the horses in and then down at the root ball. I have a plan and some pieces under it to brace it to minimize tension. I think it will go well. I walked through it several times in my head today.

Rootballs will stand up on ya real fast like. I think it is better to get it off the rootball first, very generally speaking, and be real careful when you do that.

It's already flipped the rootball with it when if fell. Here is a video of it. On the side of the video it has a branch about 3/4 the way up holding some tension and then has a large crotch where the brances started that are on the far fenceline. I put a large round under the crotch area and also under the area a few feet back from the crotch. I'm going to cut between them, then cut off the rootball a few feet up from it. I'm hoping that if the rootball falls it will be back where it came from. Weight of the tree should prevent it from falling forward into the trunk, worse case scenario might pinch the bar. There's also a round under the trunk about 10' up from the rootball to keep the trunk off the ground for bucking and not getting into the dirt and rocks.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/522tLwCoZq4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did I mention that there's a leaning cherry tree and another dead oak or two he told me I could cut since he has enough firewood for years and there's more down he could care less if I take.:msp_w00t::chainsawguy:

Back