.404” / .050” gauge saw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
no longer manufactured anymore? .404” / .050” gauge saw chain. I liked this chain on my bigger power heads like the 2100 husky.

I’ve heard using 3/8” chain with a big power head 100cc in frozen wood you can snap chains. I was using 404” never a problem.

I never broke 404 chain with a husky. Maybe a 3/8” dull chain with wear on the pins can snap in frozen wood?

Why wouldn't you go to 404 0.063?

Because I have a stack of .050” gauge bars. Change the bar nose and I’m good to go with the longer bars. But your right I was thinking of going with the .063 gauge bars.

I've never really understood the need for the different gauges.
Over here in Australia apart from 3/8 low profile I have never seen anything other than 063. Even the 325 is 063.
I'm sure it's around I've just never been exposed to it.
Best of luck with your choices.
Pony

I’ve heard using 3/8” chain with a big power head 100cc in frozen wood you can snap chains. I was using 404” never a problem.

I don't buy it. We sold a LOT of 2100's back in the day. They came standard with a 20" 404 bar and chain combo as we got them. A lot of loggers kept the 404 and even more switched to 3/8" so they had the same size chain/files to deal with on all their saws. This was in the central Adirondacks in the early 80's. I never heard of anyone breaking a 3/8" chain in frozen soft or hard wood- ever. Sounds like a bar stool tale to me. I still have 10 or 15 20" loops of Oregon .404 semi chisel for my 2100.

I don't buy it. We sold a LOT of 2100's back in the day. They came standard with a 20" 404 bar and chain combo as we got them. A lot of loggers kept the 404 and even more switched to 3/8" so they had the same size chain/files to deal with. This was in the central Adirondacks in the early 80's. I never heard of anyone breaking a 3/8" chain in frozen soft or hard wood- ever. Sounds like a bar stool tale to me. I still have 10 or 15 20" loops of Oregon .404 semi chisel for my 2100.

I have a couple 36” 404 x 050 bars, was lucky and picked up a reel of the chain on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m changing over to .404”-.063 ga chain on my 2100.

In the past in the middle of winter cutting frozen trees I always ran the 2100/404 chain. Wether the rumor is true or not about 3/8” chain snapping in frozen wood I’m not taking any chances. I’m thinking maybe the 3/8” chain was wornout. There’s a time to replace chains. Running worn chains with lots of play in the rivets also wears the rim/sprockets too.

I’m changing over to .404”-.063 ga chain on my 2100.

In the past in the middle of winter cutting frozen trees I always ran the 2100/404 chain. Wether the rumor is true or not about 3/8” chain snapping in frozen wood I’m not taking any chances. I’m thinking maybe the 3/8” chain was wornout. There’s a time to replace chains. Running worn chains with lots of play in the rivets also wears the rim/sprockets too.
.404 .063 and GB spur sprockets were standard fitting on 2100s in Australia. Occasionally an order for 24" 3/8 would come in.

The only time that I think swapping to 3/8 from .404 or larger might be an issue would be on some of the large beaver tail hard tip long bars. The larger radius hard tip and shorter length strap could cause increased heal/rivet wear as the chain is pulled. Put that in combination with a hefty gear drive and I could see snapping some 3/8. The 3/8 does get out of line more than the .404 or larger pitch chains, it will creep way up.

Having said that, still have not broken any that did not involve hitting something other than wood or ridiculous filing.

Never an issue milling with my 1100cd and a medium radius hard tip bar.

Back